Question of the Day - Monday, June 22, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Monday once again. I let the day slip away a bit here. We are really enjoying our summer break now. I never seem to stop thinking about the next school year; but it's nice to have time for other things and more laid back days. I have spent a lot of time researching math programs recently; hoping to change DD to something online/digital that she can do independently. Only to go ahead and purchase the one she's been using because it was on sale and just seemed the best fit. :rolleyes2: I can't find anything for history that's online and I like yet. That doesn't cost $300 for one class. :rolleyes2:

What is your learning style? Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic or a combination?

Here is a pretty good quiz:

What's Your Learning Style? 20 Questions

Here are my results according to that quiz:
  • Auditory: 45%
  • Visual: 30%
  • Tactile: 25%
I think I agree to an extent but it depends on the subject. I think the best way I learn is if I am combining of seeing and doing at the same time. Especially in math; watching someone else do things on the board or just talk about it means almost nothing to me. I need to do it; taking time to absorb the steps. The self-paced math classes I took in college were AWESOME for that. I just followed the book using my own paper to work things out and they made sense. It was such a good feeling!! Math in high school was often so boring and felt like they might as well have been speaking in another language half the time for all it stuck. :dunno: I had a teacher my junior year who tried so hard and I could tell she really wanted us all to do well; but gosh it was difficult to follow. But in other classes; just hearing was really preferred. Reading history facts stuck less than hearing history lessons. I really disliked trying to learn with flashcards; but at the same time making my own to study was the only way I knew to learn words in Latin. I just find flash cards so tedious. I'm naturally better at reading and writing; but learning the proper terminology for grammar was always super boring. I learned by doing it and reading.

Practical lessons for things like cooking or using tools were always done working along with someone. But I prefer to have a written recipe. My Aunt tried to just orally tell me how to make Arroz Con Grandules and almost nothing stuck unless I could visualize it. But not amounts and what order really. Last Christmas I bought all the ingredients and asked my Mom and Step-dad to just show me while we made Christmas dinner. :lol: So Auditory might have the highest percent here; but I think combining visual and tactile together is more accurate for myself; and that would be 55% then.

I can tell you right now that my DD is NOT an auditory learner in History. Sometimes it's almost comical when I've been going through a lesson and I ask a question and she looks at me like "huh!?" It's almost like giving the answer "purple" to a math problem. Or maybe I asked her to smell the color 9? :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Auditory: 35%
Visual: 40%
Tactile: 25%

Knew I was more visual because I like people to specifically show me what to do, but I'm a bit surprised they're so close.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I don't think I answered the questions right. I thought some were weird and some were confusing, I must have guessed wrong, lol. It said 40% auditory and I know that's not true. I can't even watch TV without the closed captioning on or I can't follow the plot. I think I have some kind of sensory processing issue there.

Although one question asked about solving a computer program and the answer I picked said "read about it or have someone tell you", because, yeah, of course I want to read about it. But since it was the same option as "have someone tell you about it", maybe they consider reading to be auditory? I don't; it's totally visual for me. I can remember most things I've read, just by trying to visualize the letters.

Anyway it said 40% auditory, 25% visual, 35% tactile. I'm going to try it again and pick something else on the confusing questions.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Scores: are probably correct. I won't take your word for it, I have to see it for myself or, better still, learn simply by doing.
  • Auditory: 20%
  • Visual: 35%
  • Tactile: 45%
The chemistry teacher was invariably disgusted with me and the other 7 girls working together in the chemistry lab. Our bench was generally a mess and our overalls were full of holes (made by spilt acid). But, she was most surprised by our exam results! Were we all tactile learners or did I lead the others astray with my experimenting? Incidentally, after only one year this teacher decided to return to work in industry rather than try to educate precocious girls!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say this is pretty true. I'm definitely not great at learning by hearing things. Having a lot of noise sensitivities I have trouble focusing if there is a lot of noise around me.

Auditory: 20%
Visual: 40%
Tactile: 40%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It came back at Auditory for me but I am definately visual. If I write something down and look at it I can later picture it. I must have lied on some of the questions.
I suspect that as adults we’ve adapted to learning and doing things in different ways.

I felt like I had to consider some answers because I could go with different answers. I had to think what my actual preference is.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Auditory: 55%
  • Visual: 35%
  • Tactile: 10%
I feel like I learn best by doing too. I have a hard time listening to podcasts because my mind wanders. :lol: Neat quiz!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • Auditory: 30%
  • Visual: 45%
  • Tactile: 25%
I'm a little surprised auditory is that high up, but I guess I still remember the quadratic formula thanks to that jingle. But I would definitely say visual and tactile hand in hand. I like reading the instructions and then seeing it done to reinforce. If someone just tells me how to do something, I probably won't listen. I'm the type who jumps to the end and so if you try to explain stuff step by step, I'll be five steps ahead and get bored and stop listening.

It was really hard for me to choose when the options were between art, music, and gym though because I loved all of those classes. Maybe I'm just well-rounded?

I definitely get distracted by sounds though. Right now I have my headphones turned on too loud because my coworkers are talking and even though they are right next to each other, they talk like they are across a crowded room. Makes it hard to get anything done...-__- I would love to go somewhere quiet and work...everything in this city is loud, including my home now that Puar is around.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Your Scores:

• Auditory: 15%
  • Visual: 65%
  • Tactile: 20%
I guess that makes sense. I have a Fine Art degree and I'm much better at reading and writing Japanese than I am at speaking it. My brains just loves hieroglyphics.

:)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I can learn by reading, am best at learning by doing. I have an excellent memory for the spoken word.
I take copious notes while reading. I didn't take the quiz.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am more visual which is what the test showed.
Auditory 35%
Visual 55%
Tactile 10%

I have never been comfortable learning by doing, I have always wanted to learn before I try doing. I am not confident that I know something until I have done it though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5% Auditory
40% Visual
55% Tactile

I do agree with this overall as I know I'm equally and mostly visual and tactile. But some of the answers to the questions didn't apply to me or I know for a fact that I use two of the answers to the same question at the same time, but could only choose one. My auditory should be higher.