Question of the Day, Monday, July 5, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today feels like a holiday with DH off of work so I’m enjoying it like it is. Mostly! I need to make my menu for the week and I’m trying to think up something different for the hot weather. Ive also got company coming soon so I need to plan for that.

What is your favorite summer dinner? How about for company or to share?

My grandparents were big gardeners. They never had central air. So when I’d spend summers there Gram would cook up bacon on the old gas stove in the basement and we’d have BLT’s for supper down in the basement family room where it was cooler. The tomatoes and sometimes the lettuce would come from their garden. It was SO good!!:drool:

I always make pasta salad for get-togethers in the summer. But if I’m responsible for the main dish I make pulled chicken in the crockpot. Ive done it with pork but we prefer chicken. I get Hawaiian rolls and use Sweet Baby Rays Hickory & Brown Sugar bbq sauce. DH and I put coleslaw right on our sandwiches too. I’m not a huge coleslaw fan; but like that its really good

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One of my favorite dinners is grilled pizza. I’ll make the individual shells ahead of time. Lay out a huge platter full of pretty much every available topping I can think of. A bowl of pizza sauce. Several cheeses. I will grab a shell and throw it on the grill. Turn it over and, at that point, people can choose what they want to top their own pizza. We have a larger grill, so I can usually fit 4 nice size pizzas on the grill. Before COVID, we had a pizza party and everybody seemed to enjoy them. Rick and I will do for ourselves, too. We also have a pizza oven for the grill when it’s the two of us.

I also like to do a good BBQ chicken on the grill. Potato or pasta salad, sometimes broccoli salad, crock pot beans, a large relish tray. Maybe a pan of mac and cheese. I love a good seven layer salad. Lemon meringue pie for dessert. Lots of mint tea and lemonade. And cookies. Never forget the cookies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother used to make cold pasta salad with cheese tortellini, salami pieces, black and green olives, cherry tomatoes, and broccoli florets all tossed in Italian dressing.
That sounds so good! I make one with tortellini, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and a white balsamic dressing. I might have to try your mother’s version. My DS isn’t a big meat eater; but he’ll devour pasta salads.,

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds so good! I make one with tortellini, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and a white balsamic dressing. I might have to try your mother’s version. My DS isn’t a big meat eater; but he’ll devour pasta salads.,
It's one of those dishes which anything you like will do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love tomato sandwiches but we don't have good ones here in Arizona.
Can you grow them in the winter? They like heat to an extent but I remember one of my mother's friends moving to Florida and saying she was growing her tomatoes in winter instead of summer.