Question of the Day - Monday, July 27, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting early because I keep getting distracted and busy on Mondays lately! :crazy:

Do you take vitamins and/or supplements?

Right now I take a gummy multivitamin and a gummy hair, skin and nails one (that I just added a few days ago). I've been taking Vitamin D for a while too. I was taking more things but stopped over a year ago because I noticed my stomach just felt heavy and kind of blah afterwards and I actually felt better not taking anything. My doctor and I discussed it and she was in agreement that focusing on food was better for me. My in-laws like supplements so DH picked that up a bit; but even he has backed off a lot. Last year the VitD I was taking didn't bring my numbers up enough. I'm thinking when things cool off a bit I should focus on getting some morning sun instead. But so far the new multivitamin seems to sit well and I hope it's doing its job to help fill any gaps. :)

My best friend is a cancer survivor who sees a Certified Herbalist and Eastern Medicine Practitioner in addition to her oncologists (which the oncologists highly approve of). DH and I have been thinking about consulting with him ourselves. It would be good to get an expert's opinion on brands and what we really NEED vs whats hyped or ineffective. It sounds like he doesn't go overboard and is able to give some good, personalized insight and advice too. I definitely don't want to go back to taking a bunch of stuff. We aren't in any rush at the moment anyway. Maybe once the covid stuff dies down...whenever that is!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not on anything. I've attempted to supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM (all together) before, as I get joint pain/damage from sports, but can't keep it up consistently. I rely on getting a varied diet, but I could probably stand to intake some extra protein as I don't eat much meat (a lot of eggs and tofu though!). I also don't eat fish, so I tried Omega-3 tablets, but again, just can't keep it up (and had started eating chia seeds regularly anyway).

An acquaintance of mine is a traditional medicine doctor. I've been meaning to visit her clinic as traditional therapy is also covered by health insurance here. Mostly I want to get acupuncture, but it would be interesting to see if there were any natural supplements I could add.

Ginseng is incredibly popular here and is often given as a gift. I once took a ginseng packet and I swear i had energy for two straight days haha (I guess American and Asian ginseng have completely opposite effects!!)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly I want to get acupuncture
Acupuncture has been very helpful for me, specifically knees (sports wear and tear) and back. Helped with energy level too.

I take curcumin, an anti-inflammatory derived from the spice, turmeric. I find it very helpful with my hips.

Also I take potassium, calcium and magnesium to help with cramps.

Also a multivitamin.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a Multi Vitamin and Mineral tab daily and D in the winter.

I would like to begin using Magnesium spray but it's expensive. I've read it helps with neuropathic pain such as I have

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try to the a collagen supplement for my joints, but usually forget to take them. It does help when I do.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I take calcium twice daily and (separately) Vit D, a multivitamin, and Biotin (5,000) daily. I am osteopenic, The Biotin is for my hair. A couple months ago, I ran out of Biotin and figured, well, it would be OK til I got back into the store and they had a B1G1 sale. Boy, was I wrong. My nails all split and my hair started breaking. This is the worst my nails have looked in years. I'll never run out of Biotin again.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take Le-Vel Thrive that had vitamins in it but stopped Dec 2019 when we decided to cut out any "extra" expenses.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prenatal vitamins, this 'virt-gard', which is extra folate + vitamins B6 and B12, and baby aspirin.

I also take fiber tablets(chewable) when I remember.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a few, mostly to work with or counteract my diabetes meds. I have been taking all of these for nearly 15 years
Alpha Lipoic Acid - prevents or improves neuropathy
Vitamin B 12 - replaces vitamin depleted by diabetic med
Co Q 10 - antioxidant that is depleted by diabetic med
Multi vitamin
Magnesium Citrate - Helps with sleep

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I takes masses of supplements to help manage my various illnesses. The current list is:-
  • Tumeric with black pepper (pain/inflammation)
  • Starflower oil (reynauds syndrome)
  • Evening Primrose oil (reynauds syndrome)
  • 5-htp (pain)
  • Magnesium (pain)
  • Ginger (nausea)
  • Digestive enzymes (digestion)
  • Multivitamin
  • Vitamin C (immune system)
  • CBD oil (mood, digestion, pain)
  • Liquorice root (low blood pressure)
  • Aswaghanda (hormonal issues)
  • Calcium with vitamin D (osteopenia)
  • Triphala plus (digestive system)
  • Probiotics (digestive system)
I think that's the lot. Basically, I have a number of illnesses/issues, so I try to support things as much as I can to minimise the need for medication. Especially as I'm prone to meds side effects :rolleyes:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I only take calcium citrate for osteopenia.
In the past when I noticed some arthritis in my hands and fingers I tried hazelnuts, 70% (at least) dark chocolate, and cherry extract. I found it did help some. I stopped and haven't had the arthritis come back like it was.
I am going to start vitamin D again though. When I had my physical last September she recommended that but I just haven't done it yet...just putting it off for no reason!
I just don't want to bother with a lot of supplements, and pay for them- trying to have a healthier diet and get them that way.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I take a women's whole food based vegan multi-vitamin. I showed it to my internist when I went for my physical one year and she approved. 👍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An acquaintance of mine is a traditional medicine doctor. I've been meaning to visit her clinic as traditional therapy is also covered by health insurance here. Mostly I want to get acupuncture, but it would be interesting to see if there were any natural supplements I could add.
I wish it were covered here. Although that might just create one more headache. :rolleyes2: My friend says this doctor is very reasonable. Or maybe some insurances cover it; but he doesn't take insurance. I'm just glad to know that generally Eastern and Western medicine are coexisting now. The Doctor's wife is also part of the clinic and does acupuncture. I believe she grew up in China. I just feel like talking to someone who KNOWS what they are doing when it comes to adding supplements and things could be really beneficial. I did use the same iron he recommended to my friend several years ago and it was easier on me than the store brands I found. I just had to order it online; but Amazon had it and it wasn't expensive.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a multi-vitamin and vitamin D. It's like an unofficial rule that all Minnesotans have to take vitamin D.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am Vitamin D deficient, so I take 3,000 units of it a day on the advice of a endocrinologist. I also take calcium. Both are intended to stop osteoporosis, and so far it's working. I tried CBD oil, but it did nothing.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. Almost every vitamin supplement gives me spots - yes, even the ones designed for healthy skin! I should take vitamin D (my sister has been diagnosed with RRMS so I’m now higher risk) but I still don’t take them 😬