Question of the Day - Monday, July 19, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a big exciting day at my house. The tree company is here trimming my big silver maple that was damaged in a storm a few weeks ago. They are almost done cleaning up outside. DS is glued to the door and giving me updates on what they are doing. :lol: The last time we had the trees trimmed like this I was pregnant with DD and didn't know what to expect. So when I came home from work I sobbed over my "massacred" trees. :flail:Hormones are no joke! :flail:

Hopefully the newer trees we planted will benefit from the trimming too.

What is your favorite kind of tree?

For in my own yard I love a red or "fire" maple. They are just so pretty in the fall. I don't mind that they lose their leaves. DH wants more evergreens and I see his point; but I like the fall colors and the shade in the summer. The pink dogwoods in spring are so pretty too! Oaks have thier own charm.

I would really like to see the redwoods in California. We kayak at a park not too far away that has cypress growing from the water. It's really cool looking. Some spots look like something out of Lord of the Rings. I think it's part of the root system and just grows like that. But it's fun to paddle so close to the trees. A local farm has a really old, neat looking tree but I don't know what kind it is. The branches reach almost the ground before turning up again. You used to be able to take pictures there but they've fenced the tree off to protect it. The Banyan trees in Key West were cool and creepy all at once. But I guess at home I just want the typical trees you find in most yards.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Linden tree in my back yard that it a really beautiful tree. I had never heard of itthe before I moved here and at that time it was just a little sappling. Now it towers over the house and produces great shade. I think Maples are beautiful too but I hate that they lose their leaves so late in the fall.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all trees. A long time ago my husband got a job in Phoenix. Flying in to meet there and looking out the plane window, the number one thing that struck me was the absence of trees. My heart sank. Fortunately, he was offered another job in North Carolina where there were (at the time) an abundance of trees. I think my soul needs trees and nature to thrive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love all trees. A long time ago my husband got a job in Phoenix. Flying in to meet there and looking out the plane window, the number one thing that struck me was the absence of trees. My heart sank. Fortunately, he was offered another job in North Carolina where there were (at the time) an abundance of trees. I think my soul needs trees and nature to thrive.
I can completely relate to that! I need changing seasons! Although I would pass on most snow. A friend of mine is in Phoenix now and has really gotten into hiking and her pictures are gorgeous! But it’s not something I’d want permanently.