Question of the Day - Monday, January 15, 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family and I are appreciating this holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr. today. Normally it’s not a holiday for DH so the kids and I have always done schoolwork and saved the days off for other times. But today feels like we needed a day of rest and reflection.

We did make it to a bookstore and back. It’s amusing; I worked so hard to get my kids into reading. I’m still working on it. But now I have to tell them they can’t spend a fortune on books. Its hard enough to tell myself that! :lol: We all like to re-read; so sometimes I know to just purchase certain ones. DS wanted 4 from one series hes into. I told him to pick 2 for now. 🤪:lol:

I picked up a few classic/award winners too. DS is reading Amos Fortune, Free Man in History by reading along with the audio book I found on Hoopla. He’s always resisted reading fiction chapter books but this is going so well I think we will keep trying it with more novels. See if we can get him to expand his horizons. (And utilize the library more.)

How do you prefer to read? E-readers/digital or print? Paperbacks, hardbacks, audio? Newspapers and magazines?

I enjoy books on my kindle the most. Sometimes I feel like I study better off print books though. Paperbacks are more comfortable to hold.

I need to explore audio books more but I don’t see it working for me even with headphones. It might work ok for while doing chores but not if something else is going to need my focus.

I have tried digital magazines and it was ok. I liked tapping the images for more information. I think print are more satisfying to hold and savor. I’m not much of a newspaper reader; so digital with those is ok.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I bought my Kindle I wasn't sure if I'd be happy with it or not.
Well. I am. It's SO much easier on my eyes than print books now that I'm older.
I still buy hardcovers if I think they are something I want to keep forever/can get an author to sign/or are just so special that hardcover makes sense. Some book don't translate to Kindle well - art books and some biographies with a lot of photos in them.
I dislike audio books. I don't want someone else telling me the story.
I used to love magazines but have no patience for them anymore since I'm so far from their target audience. They've become ridiculously expensive too for such fleeting information that I'll never look at again.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like the feeling of holding a book, newspaper or magazine to read it. If I'm buying the book it's paperback but if I'm getting it from the library it's usually hard cover. 📖

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer physical books. I will occasionally read fiction books on my Kindle, but I greatly prefer reading physical books for nonfiction.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My preference is the physical book, but, I do appreciate my kindle. So many books on one little tablet!
I have never been a fan of audio books, but, I love podcasts that have people discussing books (or movies), where they discuss the book, talk about potential symbolism or discuss hidden things about the book I never realized. I love those and could listen to them often, I find them so fun and interesting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got an e-reader when they first came out and never really got into it. I prefer a physical book. When I was still going into the office I got into audio books. I borrowed them from the library, I 'read' a lot of books during that time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could continue to read physical books, but my eyesight just isn't good enough. I read ebooks from our library on my iPad and Kindle. I still collect and use regular cookbooks and books from series that I enjoy.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dislike audio books. I don't want someone else telling me the story.
I'm the same way. I want to read it for myself.
I prefer reading on my Kindle, but have some paper ones I reread on occasion. I rarely buy books anymore, I have Kindle Prime for now, and I also belong to a site where they send you a list of free books every week. Some of them are Kindle Prime but other are totally free. I also make use of the library app. That way if I find I don't like the book, I don't feel I have to keep reading, or that I've thrown my money away.
As for magazines, I have a few I read. I tried the e ones but really didn't care that much for it. I did have a subscription to Readers Digest through Kindle Prime, so I'd flip through those.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love audio books. I used to listen to them to and from work, so about two hours a day. Now when I start a book I am listening ten or fifteen minutes at a time but it is still enjoyable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mild Sensory Processing Disorder and can't properly understand audiobooks unless I'm reading along (same with TV/movies; I need to have the captions on). While I prefer paper books if I think about it, the convenience of having it right on my phone wins.