Question Of The Day - Monday, February 4, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy first Monday of February! I can't believe January went by so fast! Maybe that's because I've only had the last of my Christmas stuff put away for less than a week? :lol2: Except the tree skirt that I need to have cleaned. :rolleyes:

Let's talk beauty/personal care supplies!

What types do you prefer? Natural? Commercially made natural? Commercial big brands? Homemade? Do you care at all? :crazy:

I have been switching some of our products to more natural ingredients but sometimes it's hard to find one that works right and isn't super expensive. And some just don't work as well. So I'm doing the best I can. I've also had 2 young kids with sensitive skin and sometimes the ones you'd expect to help cause more harm. :dunno: Like sunscreens! :rolleyes:

A friend of mine makes a lot of her own things and that suits her unique sensitive skin; but I just don't have the time or desire to do that. :cringe: So I'm buying everything in-stores; but trying to at least stick to aluminum free deodorants (currently using Schmidts). My DD was using a natural one that didn't have an antiperspirant in it and unfortunately it just didn't work even for her (Toms, which worked only a little better for me. Tom's kids toothpaste broke my son's face out in a rash!)

I absolutely love the handmade soap I get at craft fairs and from a local place. My skin is much softer; even in the winter. I still have to use lotion daily; but I don't get to the point of itching my leg raw because it's so dry. They smell great too! And supporting local people is always good right? :thumbsup: My main soap-guy knows us so well that his wife had him message me through Facebook to let me know they were out of my DD's soap before the big craft fair where I usually buy from them. How nice was that!? Their soap made a HUGE difference in my DD's sensitive skin!

For my facial care I use Proactiv because I've had to deal with oily skin and acne since I was my DD's age. :disappointed: Over the years I've had to go with oral antibiotics to get it under control so it's not something that was "minor." (And then there was that one time I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic they gave me for it. Talk about going backwards; I was hives from head to toe! :crazy:) Thank the Lord; it's MUCH better now than when I was younger. I'm diligent about using a face lotion with SPF too. I'm content with my OGX brand shampoo and conditioner; which I believe is sulfate free. I haven't tried anything more expensive. It lasts a good while too.

Since my last haircut I've been blow-drying my hair more and wearing some eye makeup more often. But I'm not ready to commit to more expensive makeup just yet. Maybe someday. Once upon a time I never left the house without mascara. :lol:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I had the money I would probably do a lot of locally made natural stuff. I really like the goat milk soap and lotion made around here! But alas, I am a broke college student with a senior kitty that isn't exactly cheap so I can't use the expensive natural stuff.

I keep foundation pretty natural and use mineral powder because everything else makes my skin burn. The rest of the junk I put on my face is what's on sale at the drugstore unless it was a Christmas gift, in which case it's far better than I would ever buy myself. My aunt supplies me with Wen for my hair on every occasion a gift can be given. I haven't bought hair care stuff in years! A lot of the stuff I have is hand-me-downs or regifts of things relatives didn't like so I don't actually have to buy much besides deodorant (Dove Clinical). It's pretty great having a picky family and being the only non-picky female around.

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use very very little. I have serious CFS/ME and allergies galore so I have cleansed my environment as much as I can given a low income. I notice the difference if I am anywhere else. Plain and simple and never use make up. Would get blown off out here!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Oil of Olay body wash, Pantene shampoo. My sister is a skin care fanatic and she gives me loads of good products. My skin is very dry and she gives me products by Josie Marin which mostly all have organic argon oil which has proved very effective on my skin. She also gives me Clinique make up and it doesn't aggravate my skin or eyes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the commercial stuff. I use more makeup as I have gotten older. I use Clinique skincare and foundation. Bare Minerals and Smashbox eyeshadow, I do use Maybelline mascara. I forget what blush I use, it is one of the swirled baked ones. I use Bath and Bodyworks shower gel and moisturizer. I use Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and styling products.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use much at all in the way of make-up, but I won't go out of the house, even to get the mail, without moisturizer. With my age, it's pretty much a losing battle.

Redken Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner, mixed in with Nioxin for thinning hair, sometimes mixed in with Keranique also for thinning hair. I switch off and on between Nioxin and Keranique, and also use Redken All-Soft Shampoo and Conditioner. Redken One United Spray before I start to comb out my wet hair to reduce tangles. I use a Redken Extreme Hair Mask once a week or so.

Dial coconut soap in the shower, Gold Bond Ultimate lotions, Elizabeth Arden perfume. Olay of Olay facial moisturizers.

I do polish my nails and am always trying out new colors. It's my guilty pleasure.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cruelty free stuff is my goal! Meaning no animal testing whatsoever in my definition - not by the company, not by the parent company, and not sold in China. Not always an easy feat and sometimes a bit of a lonely world, but so far doable.

And I like nice quality. Favourite brands include Ion, Marc Anthony, Anastasia of Beverly Hills, Lise Watier, Reversa, Marc Jacobs, Nude By Nature, Ole Henrikson, Marc Jacobs, Stila etc. Body wash varies, can either be Method, Being by Sanctuary, Delectable or Live Clean etc Also really like Milani! Some other stuff I like too from Sally's Beauty, like hair masks.

Bought some locally made soaps/body lotions before, but they are a hit and miss.

My holy grail mascara is Clinique, but they are not cruelty free and still trying to find another excellent mascara :ohwell:

I really care about a good skin care regiment :thumbsup: with dry skin and all. And a desire to age gracefully.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to avoid heavily scented products and have sensitive skin, so I tend to stick with Aveeno for most products. I do occasionally try other brands but rashes are just not fun so I don't often.

Furballsmom Furballsmom check out Native deodorant. They are a more natural brand, free online shipping and have some unscented or gentle scents.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer natural and home made but honestly I don't mind at all as long as they haven't been tested on animals - though I do still suffer from acne so when it comes to cleansers and facial products I like them to be sensitive skin friendly.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use much at all in the way of make-up, but I won't go out of the house, even to get the mail, without moisturizer. With my age, it's pretty much a losing battle.

Redken Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner, mixed in with Nioxin for thinning hair, sometimes mixed in with Keranique also for thinning hair. I switch off and on between Nioxin and Keranique, and also use Redken All-Soft Shampoo and Conditioner. Redken One United Spray before I start to comb out my wet hair to reduce tangles. I use a Redken Extreme Hair Mask once a week or so.

Dial coconut soap in the shower, Gold Bond Ultimate lotions, Elizabeth Arden perfume. Olay of Olay facial moisturizers.

I do polish my nails and am always trying out new colors. It's my guilty pleasure.
Redken One United is amazing stuff. The best leave in I've found.

Hair Spray is Redken

I use Pantene and Herbal Essences for shampoo and conditioner.

Body wash is Bath & Body Works or my #1 favorite which is Soap & Glory Clean on Me. It smells SO good. I also love their Smoothie Star body spray. It's wonderful and it LASTS.

Lotions are also from B&BW. Face moisturizer is Cerave. Face cleanser is Soap & Glory or Loreal Age Rewind.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really wear make-up. I'm going to have to get advice before my wedding. Otherwise, I try to get stuff not tested on animals:
-I use Tom's of Maine for toothpaste and deodorant (I don't like the aluminum, but I sweat enough I need antiperspirant)
- Mario Badescu for facial cleaners, which I'm not consistent about.
- Lush for body wash and shampoo (if only I could find something that would kill dandruff dead.
-Burt's bees for chapstick.

I think that's all I use. Lotions come from a long pile of gifts.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer natural beauty care products and even when I wear make up I like it to look natural too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not always an easy feat and sometimes a bit of a lonely world, but so far doable.
Me too! If ever you want to trade info on cruelty free brands you've tried and loved let me know.

I really like Kniepp stuff. They do some lovely bath salts and hand and body lotions and all of their stuff is vegan and cruelty free.

One of my favourite Japanese brands is Chifure. Their liquid foundation was a bit too thick for my liking, but I loved the face wash and eye shadows.

Kao brand soaps and bath salts are another good one. It's a Japanese brand that has been around for years, it's really cheap and smells great too.

My favourite hair dyes (because I was a Goth when I was younger and just can't seem to get over the urge to have red or purple hair) is Directions. I've tried most of the darker red and purple shades they do, a couple of the blues too.

I've worn sun block and moisturizers and spent a fair bit of money on soaps and cosmetics since I was a teenager, but it pays off. I'm in my 40's now but people seem to think I'm younger than that. Maybe they're just being polite because I'm a scary Goth with purple hair......

:lol2: