Question of the Day - Monday, February 3, 2020

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most muffins sold in bakeries and cafes are the sweet kind. Some cafes may have savory breakfast-type muffins. There are lots of recipes online for savory muffins filled with veggies and cheese and herbs and the like if you want to bake some up :)
M maggiedemi , LTS3,
You can make an egg bake recipe or a quiche in muffin cups and they would kind of be a savory muffin (and delicious!)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I make them myself, I like blueberry the best. If I buy them, I like the pistachio or lemon poppy seed. Haven't seen the lemon poppy seed in quite a while.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This is really hard for me since I love muffins especially muffin tops. If I had to choose just one I'd probably pick zucchini. :yummy:
neely neely , I have a muffin-top pan; it only makes muffin tops. Love muffin tops!
My favorite is blueberry muffins.
Rick loves my surprise strawberry muffins. This is a sweeter muffin with strawberry preserves baked into the middle of the muffin and a brown sugar streusel on top. He'll put a muffin in a bowl and pour milk over it and eat it that way.

And now I'm hungry for muffins.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, there are muffin top pans :) They're very shallow so the batter bakes up as just the top part of a muffin.

1580831379690.jpeg

Red velvet with a smooth cream in the center. Not too sweet. Not too thick or too runny. And not too much cream. But the right amount. Oh wait... is that a cupcake? Whoops.
Red velvet muffins do exist :) The supermarket here has them. It's just a basic red velvet batter baked up as a muffin. There's no filling.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, the pan is really shallow so the muffins are all tops and not much bottoms.

I like fruity muffins best, blueberry is most common but other berries are good too. The chocolate chocolate chip muffins from Costco are amazing, but probably have enough calories to keep most people alive for a week, lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chocolate chocolate chip muffins from Costco are amazing, but probably have enough calories to keep most people alive for a week, lol.
They're huge too, right? The BJs ones are at least. I always split a muffin, one half to eat right away and the other half for a snack later on.

I tried a healthy version of a blueberry muffin at a popular cafe last summer. It was a disappointment :disappointed: Too dense and dry, not sweet, few blueberries. I think whole wheat or something else was used in place of regular white flour.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're huge too, right? The BJs ones are at least. I always split a muffin, one half to eat right away and the other half for a snack later on.

I tried a healthy version of a blueberry muffin at a popular cafe last summer. It was a disappointment :disappointed: Too dense and dry, not sweet, few blueberries. I think whole wheat or something else was used in place of regular white flour.
Healthy versions of stuff usually are disappointing sadly. It's better to have the real version every now and then.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I LOVE muffins. And for a while I was on a creative spree making all sorts of combinations, then taking pictures.

Here's some I made. In order: Banana Double Chocolate, Blueberry Orange, Banana Strawberry, Cranberry Apple

1581080726578.png
1581080771455.png
1581080806167.png
1581081039901.png