Question of the Day - Monday, February 27, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today I am pleasantly surprised to wake to sunny skies. I thought it was supposed to be gloomy. Even the birds look extra happy this morning.

Something made me think of my FIL telling us about one of his high school classmates becoming a well enough known Hollywood actor. I don't remember the name; but FIL is in his 80s so this was some time ago. DH's grandfather was the school principal and if they were seated alphabetically he was often right by FIL. Apparently his was in trouble a lot and never graduated. I think he was more class-clown; not a bully. I also think back then it wasn't as big of a deal if someone didn't finish. My Grandma loved going to see movies when she was younger so she knew the name when I told her and loved the story. :lol:

Did you attend school with anyone who became famous?

We had a few people become successful in sports from my high school. I think the most successful that I actually knew who he was (but didn't know personally) played Major League Baseball for several years. There is also someone in the NBA and someone who played in the NFL (who won a Super Bowl I believe). We also had a Miss Teen USA and someone who became a news anchor for one of the big national news things.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I attended a rather large high school, 565 in my graduating class. Offhand I can't think of anyone who became famous but with that many students I'm guessing there was someone. One of my daughters went to elementary school with a girl who was in the movie, Home Alone, and one of her college classmates went to school with a boy who starred in the tv show, Glee.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These were before or after my time, but they all graduated from my high school: Shirley MacLaine, Warren Beatty, and Sandra Bullock. There was also a fellow who appeared on Wagon Train that went to the high school, but I can't remember his name. Warren Beatty actually came in to visit my junior English class teacher one day, and we had to run the class ourselves.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of. One of my classmates made headlines for trying to smuggle people out from behind the Iron Curtain. Caught, she served 6 months in a Hungarian prison. This took place in the late 60s. She later became a doctor, but died at the age of only 35. A talented singer, she sang at our commencement ceremony.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of anyone that became famous but I had a friend that went to high school in Arlington, VA with Cass Elliot (Momma Cass). She said she had BO.

MoochNNoodles: What was the name of the actor that went to school with your F/L?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most famous person who ever attended my high school was Mo Collins, she graduated years before I was born though. As for people I actually went to school with, there were a few professional athletes, one for only 3 months with the Broncos, another a hockey player in Germany. There is a local band called Quietdrive that has a few members who were from my high school. I don't know how popular they are outside of Minnesota though.

Also, someone I went to college with was a mayor and state senator for a southern metro city and district. The college I actually graduated from was also where Derek Chauvin graduated from (George Floyd's murderer), but also years before I did. 😬 A faculty member was also a fairly well-known author. I unfortunately never got a chance to take a class with her even though I was a writing major.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girlfriend in kindergarten went on to become the editor of Look magazine and the then president of Time for some years. That's all I got!
That’s impressive to me!
MoochNNoodles: What was the name of the actor that went to school with your F/L?
I don’t remember. It was years ago that he told us the story. It wasn’t someone that I recognized from watching old movies but it impressed my grandma. I think my FIL may be closer to my grandparents ages than my parents.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of anyone that became famous but I had a friend that went to high school in Arlington, VA with Cass Elliot (Momma Cass). She said she had BO.
What high school was that? Do you know? I grew up in Arlington, too, but went to Washington-Lee. There were two other high schools: Wakefield and Yorktown. (You can tell Virginia likes to give historical names.) Cass Elliot couldn't be from W-L; it must be one of the others. I never knew she was from Arlington.

The other person I couldn't remember in my first post was Forrest Tucker. Probably only the oldest of the oldest of us remember Wagon Train. I think he graduated in the 1930s.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What high school was that? Do you know? I grew up in Arlington, too, but went to Washington-Lee. There were two other high schools: Wakefield and Yorktown. (You can tell Virginia likes to give historical names.) Cass Elliot couldn't be from W-L; it must be one of the others. I never knew she was from Arlington.

The other person I couldn't remember in my first post was Forrest Tucker. Probably only the oldest of the oldest of us remember Wagon Train. I think he graduated in the 1930s.
I don't remember the name of the school they went to. I also had a friend that was a patient of Dr. Beatty. He was the father of Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLain. I tried to make an appointment with him so I could meet him but he was not taking new patients.

Oh yeah, I remember Wagon Train. I don't remember seeing Forrest Tucker on there but I remember the rest of the cast. Robert Horton (88) and the young boy on the show are the only members of the cast that are still living.