Question Of The Day - Monday, February 25, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the last Monday of February! You know what that means my friends in the Northern Hemisphere? Spring is next month!! :bunnydance: I'm trying to be quick because I'm waiting on a repair man for my dishwasher. It's less than a year old; but last week my DD managed to fall on the semi-open door and it won't close right. Its running but leaking water at the top. :doh:

I had just opened it maybe 1/3 max to see what was in there and I was going to finish loading it and run it. My kids ran to the kitchen window because there has been a lot of activity on the property next door with a backhoe and trucks clearing out the property. It's all very exciting business.

I had stepped a few feet away to check my phone and man the bang behind me... She hit it so hard all the alphabet magnets that were on the front fell off! :fear: She wasn't hurt but man she knew it wasn't good! I still don't understand how it even happened. :dunno: So now I'm just praying this is an easy, inexpensive fix! I LOVE this dishwasher (a Bosch and we got it at a good price!!) and hand washing dishes all weekend hasn't been fun. Even if DD helped dry. ;) :lol:

What is the most snow you've ever experienced?

When I was a kid we lived in an area that got a lot of snow. One blizzard when I was about 10/11 buried my mother's car to over the hood. She had to go out a window to clear our front door. It had to be about 3' deep but certainly not less than 2 1/2'. Somewhere I have pictures of it. It turned to rain at the end and the top inch or so of snow was solid ice.

Us kids got a kick out of walking on top of all that snow. Our neighborhood had a dirt road and that was solid ice so some kids had ice skates and were skating in the street. The rest of us were running and sliding on our knees. :cringe: I sure wouldn't try that now! That storm was the talk of the rest of the school year. We thought it was great. The adults I'm sure didn't agree.

Now back to stalking the tracking link on the repair guy's vehicle. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have done a pretty good job of avoiding the stuff all of my life. :lol:

I'm glad DD wasn't hurt hitting the dishwasher that hard! :eek2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Living in the midwest we are used to cold winters and snowstorms. As a child the largest snowfall I ever experienced was 23 inches.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard, at this late date, to recall the greatest one-shot snowfall. There was the year we had to dig a tunnel to the barn to feed and milk the cows, or when we had to remove the glass from the outer door to dig our way out of the house. The latest one was when I had to use the front-end loader to dig my way from the company parking lot to the street, because the snow was over the hood of my 4x4 Dodge, and I had to move the snow away to get the door open. We ended up getting 7 ft. of snow that time.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 years ago we got 4 feet. It came up to my butt. I could sit and stand in the snow at the same time.
This past storm, I quit measuring at 16", so I figure it finally stopped snowing around 18". We are just now getting the cars out. (thanks to my neighbor who plowed my drive and easement).

I'm glad your daughter did not hurt herself.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ummmm..... Waist deepish? Somewhere around 3-4 feet I would guess. That was when I was at the Grand canyon in the winter about 8 years ago. I don't remember ever watching it snow or being around it when it is coming down but I am sure I have. When I was younger we used to go skiing and stayed in the mountains over the weekend a few times. But I can barely remember snippets of it. In adulthood, I've gone to snow but not when it's snowing. Although I was within a few miles of the freak LA snow last week but I didn't see any.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was in Colorado around 1999 I think. It was mid October and we got dumped on. The snow in the street was thigh deep. My DH had to dig the front door out so I could walk to work (it wasn't too far). People were using snowmobiles to get around. They didn't plow the secondary streets back then (they might now- I have no idea) but they didn't back then. I was working at Wal Mart at the time and we had a skeleton crew there because most people couldn't get there except by snowmobile- that's how the few customers we had got there. We had so few employees show up that I thought the manager was going to cry when he saw me clock in.
If you lived on a secondary street, you had to rely on a neighbor with a plow attachment for their truck. I will never forget having to wade through that thigh deep snow. It was miserable. Never again.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Minnesota, every big snowstorm feels the same, so I can't pick one out exactly. I vaguely remember the infamous 1991 Halloween blizzard. I was 5 years old and insisted on going trick-or-treating despite snow being up to my chest (and I was a tall 5-year-old).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like some people have a very good memory about these kinds of things. I don't. One day runs right into the next in my memory, I have very little sense of time in the past. But I do vaguely remember a 3-foot snowstorm since we've lived here. My parents had to hire someone with a Bobcat to clear the driveway; it was too much for the snowblower. I must have been a teenager because I don't remember needing to try to get to work in that weather.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i only vaguely remember it. i would have been 5 years old or less. the snow was up over or covering the windows of the first floor of our house. the pipes froze, so no water. i remember melting snow in large crocks near the fireplace, for water -- the water was then strained and boiled.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most snow I remember getting I believe was in 1979 and we gotten over 2 or 3 feet of snow. My car was completely covered and it took me most of the day to shovel out my car and my mother's car and the drive way.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think 2008 was the most snow I ever experienced here in WI. It seemed like it snowed every day. The city was literally running out if space down by the river where they would dump snow. I remember a few years in the late 70s where we got some huge snow storms too...like over a foot with drifting. You could shovel for an hour and look back and see you had only cleared 5 feet of sidewalk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 2008 was the most snow I ever experienced here in WI. It seemed like it snowed every day.
I don't know if it was 2008, but I remember a year like that here. I think there was 10 or 12 feet of snow over the entire winter, and most of it didn't melt. The standing snow was over the fence so we had to tie up our dog, and every parking lot was half snow piles where they pushed it from the other half. There were still small piles of snow left in July. Ugh!

The radio station took bets on when the last bit of snow would melt from a certain pile. The odds were on late August, but it was an especially hot summer so it melted faster than expected :D.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most snow I experienced was in 2007 in the mountains of Innsbruck in Austria - snow was up to my knees! And then in 2013 in Kiruna, Sweden - which was up to the windows.
Back home in England I think 2012 was the last time we experienced a large, thick amount of snow; though last year's Beast From the East was pretty spectacular too.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve lived in three states that get really deep snows: Utah, Michigan, and Colorado. We had the most in Utah with a few snowfalls of 3+ feet. But unlike Michigan, the sun shines a lot in Colorado and Utah, and the humidity is low. So you’d get these huge snowstorms with the most beautiful powdery snow, and then the sky would turn pure blue.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The most snow I ever saw was in New Hampshire. I spent a winter there but it was in 1966 and if there were snow reports, I did not hear them. I do know that by Thanksgiving the six foot wall was covered! It snowed 12 inches on May 25th! The locals said it was and extraordinarily cold and snowy winter.

Down south where I live now, the most snow I ever saw was 17 inches sometime back in the 80's.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about this question, and it's hard to say because we had snows when I was a kid that were big storms, a path would be shoveled and I'd stand in the path and look up and it would look like about 16 feet of snow had fallen...but I was a kid, and when you're little like that everything looks big. It was probably 8 inches with drifts, and I was in awe over nothing :flail:
I do recall several times where snow was up to the roof, but this was because of drifts, but several feet a time isn't unheard of.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
1983 and we had two back to back 23 inch snowstorms, a day apart. The second of the two came down hard and fast and I got stuck several times driving a few miles home. Pulled my 75 AMC Pacer into my drive and in the morning except for its antenna, you couldn’t see any part of it. It was totally buried past it’s rooftop. My son was a 14 at the time and it took the two of us from morning until night to shovel the car and the drive out.