Question of the Day - Monday, February 14, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Valentine's Day! :redheartpump:

What is your favorite period in history?

Last night DH, DS and I were watching a show about the lost Templar treasure. DS has had a fascination with them since we started watching The Curse of Oak Island several years ago. A few years ago he was flipping through his new school books when they came in the mail and he about jumped out of his skin he was so excited when he saw a Templar flag in his history workbook. :lol: Unfortunately there isn't much about them geared towards kids. We've settled for some more general history books.

I have always been fascinated with ancient architecture; but especially that of the Romans. DS is also fascinated with Google Earth; so last week we spent some time looking at the Google Earth images of the Coliseum and the Roman Aqueducts and places like that. He also thinks the Leaning Tower of Pisa is really cool. I think he still prefers the Templars and the Medieval period; but the Roman Empire is still my favorite.

DD is studying Ancient History this year. We've covered Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, India, Israel, and most recently Ancient Persia. We are all enjoying history much more this year. Previous years have focused on American history; so it's nice to do something new. Greece and then Rome are next. I've been looking forward to these chapters. 🤓

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, talk about an impossible question!

When I was a kid I would have said 1800s pioneer days, because that was my favorite historical fiction. But I love the Renaissance. Medieval times are fascinating. I love how much ancient cultures could do. When I was at Teotihuaticán and climbed up the Pyramid of the Sun I felt small in the best way, and I'd love to see the ruins in Egypt and Greece. Vikings had a fascinating culture as well.

And my nostalgia wants me to add in the 1980s.

I can't decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, talk about an impossible question!
I understand! :lol: There are so many interesting periods. Especially in art and architecture!
probably the stone age since life was simple and basic back then no kings no presidents (politics etc). just kill or be killed living off the land :lol: course i would be dead already no survivng a stroke back then
I definitely have no desire to LIVE during Roman times! Even being half Italian! ;)

DD is studying Ancient History this year and we just finished Ancient Persia; which touches on Ancient Greece. We are both enjoying history a lot this year! (And DS ends up listening to her lesson instead of doing his own work...)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always felt that I was born in the wrong century. If I had my druthers, I would pick the period between the end of the American Civil War and World War I. So much was happening the world over that nothing seemed impossible.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always felt that I was born in the wrong century. If I had my druthers, I would pick the period between the end of the American Civil War and World War I. So much was happening the world over that nothing seemed impossible.
DS just covered that period in history and he's so fascinated by it. Especially with the advancements in technology and the changes in daily life.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to live any time before antibiotics were discovered---50%-70% of us would be dead by now! Or in any time/culture that forced a subservient role on women.

But for reading about, I think the Mesoamerican time is pretty fascinating, especially Teotihuacan. Here's this huge city by ancient standards, with plumbing and roads and stores and everything we have now, same but different, yet we know so little about it. A thriving civilization, brought down by (maybe) a couple years of bad weather.

When I was younger I was interested in the pioneer times, Little House on the Prairie, etc. It's more complicated now, realizing that it wasn't all innocent and things were more corrupt than is usually presented. But sometimes I'll stand outside, in the winter or when it's going to storm or something, and just think, daaaaang, they sure were brave back then. Yes, a lot of them died, a lot got "prairie madness" (I fully understand), but still, they lived on this howling prairie with wolves and bison, no trees, no close neighbors, no nearby towns, no cars or electricity or central heat, just dug a hole and lived in it, and tried not to die, and tried to farm and raise animals. That's impressive.

Last edited:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In terms of studying; I find WWII fascinating - partly because you can see how the modern political world was formed. I also have a lot of personal family connections to the war (my great grandfather and great uncle were killed by the Nazis), so there's an emotional attachment too. I definitely wouldn't like to live during that period though!

In terms of living I'd say probably the 1980s or the 1960s. I wouldn't fancy living in an earlier time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the movies on PBS/Masterpiece, but I wouldn't want to live then, without internet, and everything else. Also love the war movies and the ones about ending slavery. So whatever time/year that is.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting fascinated by the pre pyramid era cities and civilizations they are discovering and the high technology in city design and irrigation systems etc. much to the Egyptologists dismay...Really throwing history on its head having all this when man was meant to be still playing with sticks and rocks and living in caves.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the movies on PBS/Masterpiece, but I wouldn't want to live then, without internet, and everything else. Also love the war movies and the ones about ending slavery. So whatever time/year that is.
The ending of slavery didn't happen overnight, and it didn't come cheap. From 1808, when the importation of slaves was outlawed, to the 1857 Dred Scott decision, to the 1859 John Brown attempt to start a slave revolt, to the 1861- 1865 Civil War, where over 350,000 Union soldiers died, is the era you are looking for.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am getting fascinated by the pre pyramid era cities and civilizations they are discovering and the high technology in city design and irrigation systems etc. much to the Egyptologists dismay...Really throwing history on its head having all this when man was meant to be still playing with sticks and rocks and living in caves.
That's been one the most interesting things about this history study this year. Most civilizations seem more advanced than you'd expect. And so many have similarities. They are definitely differences; but still similarities. They may not have had electricity; but they were definitely intelligent!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say there is a favorite period of history for me. I have been fascinated learning the history that wasn't taught in schools (which is annoyingly frustrating and disappointing) like true racial history, how racist the US always has been and still is. I could go on an insane rant about how much I hate white fragility and how hiding aspects of history because it makes you uncomfortable is disgusting.