Question of the Day - Monday, December 4, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope everyone had a nice weekend! It was very gloomy here but we still attended a local town’s Christmas Market. A church was putting on a very nicely done living nativity. There was even a camel! 🐪 :lol: But seriously; their choral group was talented.

A school friend of mine is living in Italy for work and he shared a few pictures from an opera house he and his wife visited recently. The architecture was absolutely gorgeous! I have always enjoyed live performances and things like ballets and classical music; but I really dislike cities so I have never been to a performance of that status. I believe I would enjoy an opera or symphony just as much. Especially around the holidays. (But then I had tears at Disney’s live shows so maybe I’m weird.:lol:)

Have you ever attended a ballet/symphony/opera/etc? How about a Broadway show?

The closest I’ve come has always been local or state level productions. Most were back in my school years when there would be field trips. My cousin’s wife owns a dance studio and I’ve been able to attend something she was in and helped choreograph. I guess I need to find myself some friends who would bring me along to one of those because DH would definitely rather not.:lol: Just please not something ultra-modern or poetry reading/solo dramatic interpretation type things. I have never connected to those.:dunno:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have attended musicals that came to my city but never attended an opera, ballet or anything on Broadway. Probably the biggest musical I remember is Jesus Christ Superstar.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ever attended a ballet/symphony/opera/etc? How about a Broadway show?
Yes, all of the above. I love being from a big city for this exact reason. We have the Joffrey Ballet, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Lyric Opera House, as well as Broadway in Chicago Theatres. I go to the opera and sometimes ballet with one of our daughters. I go to the symphony with a friend who has season tickets and the theater(s)s with a group of friends from college. Depending on the day and time there are usually discount codes which make it more affordable. However, DH is not a big fan, he'd rather go to sporting events. 😉

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen the Nutcracker ballet, on a school field trip.

I've never been to Broadway but have seen Broadway shows when they were passing through. I really do love going to musicals and plays.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Very similar to neely neely , being in a big city I have attended numerous operas, ballets, and symphonies, along with plays. Never a show on Broadway per se in New York. I did see The Mousetrap in London though years ago.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen a few traveling Broadway shows when they come through. I haven't been to a ballet performance. I don't think I would care for opera.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutcracker ballet
I'm sure a symphony
I don't think I've seen an opera.

Not Broadway NYC, but Broadway in Chicago - Wicked, Book of Mormon, Lion King, Aladdin that I can recall offhand.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used to go to New York City, many years ago when we lived in Connecticut. Of course Rudolf Nureyev. Saw Mikhail Baryshnikov dance quite soon after he defected (so you know how long ago that was.) A very few theater productions too.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've attended a couple of operas in high school, I've attended a few symphonies and I've also seen a couple musicals (not on Broadway, but were on Broadway at one point). I've even played in a concert with the Minnesota Orchestra when I was in high school.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I grew up in NY,we were pretty close to Bard College.Back in "the day",their drama,music and arts departments were wonderful and my Mom was a big fan who dragged her teen aged daughter to many different productions of all kinds,and I became a fan as well.Never did make it down to the city to see anything,but I can't say that it ever crossed our minds.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've attended a few musicals/shows/plays, all have been local productions and most as a kid/teen for school trips but a few with family. As an adult, I've gone to 2. One was Avenue Q, which was hilarious. It was very much an adults only play but with puppets...think Sesame Street meets Family Guy. The other was Riverdance...it was on a much smaller scale then what you see on TV, but still very beautiful and powerful.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
About the closest thing was Jesus Christ Superstar at Bucknell 50+ years ago, which was excellent, BTW.

Do you want to count TSO? Because we've seen the Christmas shows and, OMG, so enthralling!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About the closest thing was Jesus Christ Superstar at Bucknell 50+ years ago, which was excellent, BTW.

Do you want to count TSO? Because we've seen the Christmas shows and, OMG, so enthralling!
If you have Sirius XM, TSO has their own channel for the holidays.

1701816428487.png

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No just school plays. We live in the middle of nowhere, where Farmer Boy Almanzo Wilder lived.