Question of the Day - Monday, December 20, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As my DD keeps saying to me every 3 hours (not exaggerating) "I can't believe Christmas is in 5 days!!" :crazy: I am going to attempt to make our very last trip to the store be either today or tomorrow. I just cleaned out my wallet so it's not a mess when I stop at the bank to deposit money the kids got from my dad and Grandma. There were year old receipts in there! :paperbag: Overall there wasn't THAT much! But I didn't realize it had been that long either! I used to be so diligent with our receipt system. Oops...

Do you keep receipts? How do you store them? When do you purge them?

DH and I have always had a system for things like this. Usually after shopping I put them in a slot in the cabinet of our desk. Then when DH pays the bills he goes through them to reconcile our accounts. After that they go in a hanging file folder for each account. Occasionally he will check my wallet but i guess it's been a while since I had old ones in thee. Plus so many places will send e-mail receipts or they have apps you can check. That saved me with a Target return a few months ago. Paperless has it's advantages but I'm not ready to trust that 100%. It's easy to overlook things. There have been many times that just going to the file folder had what I needed. He does purge them after some time; but big purchase ones get saved for a lot longer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bin for new paperwork such as bills, invoices etc., a larger bin for less recent papers that
I am not in the mood to deal with and a file drawer organized by title for stuff that needs to be kept. Every so often I take the older paperwork bin and go through it, either filing or tossing but mostly tossing. Other than that I usually have an envelope of receipts for Christmas gifts that I only keep until I know there aren’t going to be any returns.

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could say I'm more organized about it but I just shove them into my desk drawer. And when the drawer starts getting too difficult to close, thats when I clean it out. 😬

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I save some receipts, mostly for proof of purchase for insurance purposes on big-ticket items, but most everyday ones just get tossed. The saved ones get stored in a fireproof lockbox, and only get tossed when the item is.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I keep them for bigger things for a while, as well as gift receipts, but my receipt from the grocery? Gets binned.

I have a ton of gas receipts in my glove compartment as well. My dad had me save them when I started driving, and it's like a habit now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I look them over when I get home from shopping, and toss them if I didn't get anything that might need returning. If I got something like clothes or electronics, I stick it in a slot on the hutch just long enough to see if it works/fits, then toss it.

Since I pay for everything with a credit card I figure they can use that to look things up if I ever need to return something later for some reason.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
At checkout when I have the option I press print and email receipt. I like paper receipts from the grocery store because inevitably they incorrectly charge me for an item that was on sale. It's easier to just bring back the paper receipt the next time I go. I keep most receipts in an envelope in a special drawer but don't clean it out as often as I should. :rolleyes: I keep receipts for costly items with a warranty in a different location.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My receipts generally pile up on top of my desk until I get disgusted at the pile. I hate accounting, but I have to do a bit of it because I have a rental house, so I rat through the receipts before the purge. Any that are tax related go into the "tax" shoebox and the rest get pitched.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you keep receipts? How do you store them? When do you purge them?
Receipts for groceries, monthly bill etc are all attached to the fridge with a giant magnetic clip. At the end of the month I go through them, make sure I've paid everything and that I haven't spent more than I've earnt then toss them all away.

Vet bills are kept for ever in my OCD filing system. Each cat has their own file with a picture of the cat, name in Japanese and English, DOB, any chronic illnesses and regular medication listed on the front page then all the vet bills stored by date order. Just in case anyone ever needs to see their full medical history.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep them long enough to take pictures of them for the rewards apps I have. I usually will have them around for awhile before actually tossing them though.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I keep them all stuffed crumpled in about 50 different places. I only purge them when I need them. Sometimes my life is a junk drawer!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep them long enough to take pictures of them for the rewards apps I have. I usually will have them around for awhile before actually tossing them though.
I've wondered about those. If they're worth signing up for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to use a couple rewards apps but I got away from it. DH uses a gas one. I got some good rewards but you do have to be careful you don’t shop just to get the reward. Sort of like couponing where you stock up when you have a coupon but you don’t truly need tooth paste or whatever yet.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to keep all receipts for any expenses for his bees for tax purposes.At tax time they get added up,and I keep them with the tax return for 7 years.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually keep receipts for items I just bought, then throw away later.
For utility bill receipts, all are stored and filed, with a max of one year only.