Question of the Day - Monday, December 13, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the last week before Christmas break for us!! :hyper: You can imagine how motivated/focused DS is. He's currently hanging all of our coats, sweaters and hoodies that have been left out on hangers in the coat closet. Normally he just shoves his stuff on a tote in there like he did when he was too short to reach the wire shelf. :lol: He's REALLY good at cleaning when he's supposed to be doing school stuff. ;) I'm not complaining because 1. I don't have to hang those up now 2. I was able to go through his school work to find the missing handwriting assignment he claims he couldn't find. :evilgrin: 😇

Do you consider yourself an organized person?

I have always joked that I am organized about things that don't matter. But at work I kept things running. Sometimes my desk had multiple bins with things and my boss would come by. I could tell she wasn't sure if I was behind or what. But I could always tell her what things were, where they were and they were constantly rotating piles (in stacking letter trays). All the incomplete things I found when I started probably prove my predecessor's clean desk didn't mean much. After all; out of sight is out of mind and that's what stacking letter trays are for. I found a lot of billing stuff that had never been followed up on. She learned to leave me to my own system there. ;)

At home; it feels more like controlled chaos. Clean and organized go together; but they aren't the same thing. I am more relaxed; but it feels like I have a lot less control over messes people make. DD has gotten much neater as she's gotten older. So maybe there's hope for DS. :rolleyes2: I don't need or even like a house that's so clean and organized you don't feel like you can LIVE in it. I had a friend in elementary school who was literally not allowed to sit on her bed after it was made in the morning because apparently a 7 year old's butt print would mess up the covers. :dunno::lol: I found that out when I'd been invited over to play one day. We mostly met to play outside after that! I had another friend who was not allowed to walk through certain rooms because it would mess up the vacuum lines in the carpet... She was the oldest of 5 kids and somehow they managed to live that way. Even my fastidious grandmothers weren't that bad! :lol:

My mom was much more relaxed. We cleaned every Saturday morning; but you could still relax and enjoy the house. My house is generally clean (although I always feel like I'm behind on mopping the kitchen...) but it's definitely lived in. We always clean the bathroom and things like that right before company comes. But you might still see school things on the table and books on a shelf; but not necessarily neatly. Toys aren't all put away. Laundry might still be drying on a rack in the foyer. A friend of mine; who is very Type A, says it is harder when she is home with her kids more. So I console myself with that. They'll be grown and flown someday. For now; I need notice before people come by! ;)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an organized person over all and I love organizing things...but I do tend to fall off the wagon at KEEPING things organized when it comes to things like the tupperware cabinet or my clothes or linen closet. At work I'm completely organized at all times, but keeping things running smoothly doesn't just affect me but my clients and co-workers.....I guess that's the difference that determines what STAYS organized at all times...if it only affects me...no big deal (mostly)...but if it affects others, I do my best to keep on top of it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think I was more organized when I was working! At that time, I knew things had to get done right then and there because I had to go to work the next day.

Now? Heavens, I don't know what I'm doing from day to day anymore. I asked Rick this morning what the date was. He looked at me and said, "Helloooo! You're asking a retired person that?" And he has a really good point.

We both need to put ourselves on schedules. It's frustrating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked Rick this morning what the date was. He looked at me and said, "Helloooo! You're asking a retired person that?" And he has a really good point.
My Dad keeps saying "Remember, I'm retired now!" to me about things. :lol: If he were closer; I'd keep him busier. ;) His wife isn't retired yet and won't be for a long time (she's 14 years younger than him) so that probably helps some. But it also means she's too busy to get up to stuff with him. :lol:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i am more controlled chaos things can look a mess but i know exactly where to find anything i need gf has ocd badly:lol:we agreeed that its best she not touch any of my stuff since it results in my not finding anything at all then annoying her by asking where is this or that:rolleyes3:the worst is when she wants to line up the spice bottles:lol:then i just make a mess grabbing different ones until i find the ones i need

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was pretty organised before covid, but I have to admit lockdown made me lazy. I'm in charge of my house and help my daughter with hers. I realised the other day that my daughter's is ready for visitor's and mine certainly isn't unless I get warning, when my sister in law arrived at my door. She had my 1 year old nephew and the speed I baby proofed was so inpressive I shocked myself I haven't moved that fast in a while. That's what no visitors did now xmas is coming I need to get on top again. Or santa might trip and fall :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally, always organized. It’s just sort of an OCD ish thing with me, if everything is disorganized or I can’t find something it will literally make me sick to my stomach. When I work big projects I may have work going on for five different pieces but I know how and when those pieces will fit together. And odds and ends need to have an assigned place and be sorted, down to little things like screws (sorted by length and type).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i am more controlled chaos things can look a mess but i know exactly where to find anything i need gf has ocd badly:lol:we agreeed that its best she not touch any of my stuff since it results in my not finding anything at all then annoying her by asking where is this or that:rolleyes3:the worst is when she wants to line up the spice bottles:lol:then i just make a mess grabbing different ones until i find the ones i need
Spice organization is important to some of us (who are a bit OCD). I built these shelves so I never had to hunt. Mostly alphabetical with most often used in front, salt and pepper dead center.
B74ABF1E-39B8-4D8B-9E43-ED1F5B9E26ED.jpeg

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was very organized and detail oriented when it came to my job but at home I have different things in different places. Since I handle all the paperwork, finances, insurance, taxes, bills, etc. I know where everything is but God help my husband if he ever had to find it. I've tried to show him where things are kept but he just shakes his head. :headshake:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was pretty organised before covid, but I have to admit lockdown made me lazy. I'm in charge of my house and help my daughter with hers. I realised the other day that my daughter's is ready for visitor's and mine certainly isn't unless I get warning, when my sister in law arrived at my door. She had my 1 year old nephew and the speed I baby proofed was so inpressive I shocked myself I haven't moved that fast in a while. That's what no visitors did now xmas is coming I need to get on top again. Or santa might trip and fall :lol:
The Tooth Fairy once delayed her visit to DS because his room was too messy to get through. Unfortunately his solution was to simply make a single clear path from his door to his bed...
Totally, always organized. It’s just sort of an OCD ish thing with me, if everything is disorganized or I can’t find something it will literally make me sick to my stomach. When I work big projects I may have work going on for five different pieces but I know how and when those pieces will fit together. And odds and ends need to have an assigned place and be sorted, down to little things like screws (sorted by length and type).
Ok I do relate to that with projects. It makes things go much smoother and I hate stopping because I'm missing something. Especially because with kids around it just feels hard to fit in projects like that. They are big enough now that it shouldn't matter as much; but old habits I guess. DH is the same. When we ordered the kid's swing set he had the whole garage full of all the pieces laid out and sorted and he counted all the hardware. Which was good because we did have to order some that wasn't there. My Dad, my cousin and her husband came down for a long weekend to help build it so there was no time to be waiting around for pieces. DH also stained and sealed every single piece individually before they came!
Spice organization is important to some of us (who are a bit OCD). I built these shelves so I never had to hunt. Mostly alphabetical with most often used in front, salt and pepper dead center.
View attachment 404228
I'm tempted to take a picture of my spice cabinet but it might trigger some people. :lol: My kitchen came with built in lazy susans and things; so it's not too crazy. But it is full. I have it organized so the stuff I use the most often is on the outsides of it. But I recently discovered that the bag of canning salt (which is on the top where I can't see without a step stool) ripped and it's going to literally take a vacuum to fix that mess. And I might need someone to hold the vacuum canister up to do that. Thank the Lord our vacuum comes apart! :cringe:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , I used to have one of those stair step tiered shelf things that the spices were on and whenever I had to reach for the ones at the back top inevitably I would knock a row or two in front of them down. It was so annoying. When I built this I also used it as the opportunity to throw out spices that I either never used or that were ancient.

Now the shelves above this are NOT organized in any way and I just shove them up there as far as I can reach. And I do regularly have canisters or boxes falling on me when I try to get them out without benefit of a step stool.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly certain I have ADHD so I need organization, but I greatly struggle with actually getting organized. It has been something I've been trying to focus on fixing for months, but I just don't know what type of organization I need so I don't even know where to begin.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now the shelves above this are NOT organized in any way and I just shove them up there as far as I can reach. And I do regularly have canisters or boxes falling on me when I try to get them out without benefit of a step stool.
I keep a 10" step stool in the kitchen just for that! DD is taller than me now and needing it less and less; but I find it's DH who has the hardest time relating since he's so tall with long arms! "Who moved my step stool!?!" :lol:

Sometimes I just save things for him to put away so I don't have to bother with the stool! :lol: We have a storage thing that suspends from the garage ceiling and DH put the boxes with the kids Christmas gifts up there. With our folding step stool I couldn't safely get the box that was on top! I had thought I'd get some wrapping done last weekend; but I couldn't reach and I didn't feel like it anyway. :crazy:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 404228
I'm tempted to take a picture of my spice cabinet but it might trigger some people. :lol: My kitchen came with built in lazy susans and things; so it's not too crazy. But it is full. I have it organized so the stuff I use the most often is on the outsides of it. But I recently discovered that the bag of canning salt (which is on the top where I can't see without a step stool) ripped and it's going to literally take a vacuum to fix that mess. And I might need someone to hold the vacuum canister up to do that. Thank the Lord our vacuum comes apart! :cringe:
I'll take the fall and trigger susanm9006 susanm9006 's spice ocd.
20211213_190446.jpg