Question of the Day - Monday, December, 12, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids are getting excited for Christmas. It's our last week of school before break. DS won the Ugly Christmas Sweater contest at church yesterday and DD will be baking cookies this week for a competition for her group (She loves baking!) We went to a Christmas production this weekend. It wasn't a stereotypical Nativity retelling so it was kind of refreshing and very well done. The young woman who had a solo as Mary was very talented. They have a Fine Arts program for the teens and they were REALLY good. I wish I had video to share of their numbers. Apparently they've won national competitions before and I know they require a LOT of dedication from them. It shows!! It's really starting to feel like that festive time of year. It's half :hyper: and half :runaround:.

I got interrupted with a package being delivered and getting stuck in a group text between my aunt, cousins and I. My aunt loves to crochet. She's ALWAYS making something new. If she's not crocheting she's sewing something or making some kind of craft. So my cousin sent someone's family picture where everyone is wearing basically a crochet tank top with a granny square on the front. My cousin wants to do family pictures. My aunt said no. :flail:(Apparently she hates making granny squares.) Part of me hopes she secretly makes them and makes them all pose for a picture. It would be so bad it would be amazing. Epic! :lol:

Have you ever done family group photos? Did they go well or were they a fail?

I have a couple so bad they are "good" ones. When my mom and step-dad had been married maybe a year or so they decided to take us all to Walmart for a family photo. We even got new clothes. (5 kids; that's a lot...) The problem? I desperately needed my bangs trimmed; so you can't see my eyes behind my giant glasses. My dress I chose? I looked like a 40 year old woman instead of a preteen. :rolleyes2: Someone decided to curl my youngest step sister's naturally curly hair. No one knew how to handle curls back then I guess. She looked like an 80 year old woman.:lol: Needless to say; that picture does NOT have a place on the wall in anyone's house. :lol:

Several years ago when both my cousin's on my dad's side started having kids they decided we should get pictures of us and the kids together. The youngest wasn't old enough to sit up yet and the next youngest was in the cry over everything phase. For the most part we managed some good photos for having 5 little kids! I was so nervous though my fascial muscles were literally not cooperating. My smiles were so awkward! I couldn't fake it. We did those at a portrait studio and they earned their sales with us that day! Our grandma really liked them so that was all that mattered. We've since added another kiddo to the family so I think we should redo pictures. Maybe hire a photographer to do them somewhere in nature so we can get some good candid shots if the poses aren't so good.

When I was a kid my other grandpa used to set his camera on a tripod and use a timer to take a family group picture when we were all together or on the holidays. Those are my favorite ones. Maybe it's the setting of their Livingroom and backyard; but they look so much more personal.

DS's newborn photos were a riot because DD was 2. the photographer was my friend's mother so she sent me the good, the bad and the hilarious. We've got one where DH is holding DD upside down because she wouldn't sit still and smile and DS decided to start crying so I'm trying to soothe him with my yap open. :lol: It's bad! But it's real. :lol: We tried to get just the 2 of them at his first Christmas. DS dressed in a puppy costume in a wrapped box and DD next to him. The fireplace was lit for real so that made it a quick work but they were cuter at least. Neither smiled at the same time of course. It was an adventure! The best ones were from her catching the kids expressions because her dogs were barking at the glass door. Maybe we should have brought one inside. :rolleyes2:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had professional photos taken of my son and I a few times as he was growing up, and since he worked for years as a photographer we have had a number of whole family photos as well. The biggest family photo was a mid 70’s with my Sicilian grandparents, their children and grandchildren. I just remember it taking forever because of wiggling children and adults standing in the hot sun, but it’s a great picture to have.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No family photos other than a relative taking an amateur group photo but when my sister and I were younger my parents had portraits of us done by a professional photographer. I like to go back and look at pics of my parents before my sister and I were born. The clothes, cars and surroundings are like watching a vintage black/white movie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No family photos other than a relative taking an amateur group photo but when my sister and I were younger my parents had portraits of us done by a professional photographer. I like to go back and look at pics of my parents before my sister and I were born. The clothes, cars and surroundings are like watching a vintage black/white movie.
My bestie and I love finding those old photos! She never really knew her grandparents and they died years ago. So have her parents now so she doesn't have the family ones herself unless a relative passes some on to her. Plus her love of all things vintage. They are fun to share too. My mom has my grandpa's scrapbook from his Army days during WWII (stateside) and those are neat.

Both my grandpas loved taking pictures but my Dad's dad made it a real hobby and was the president of a camera club in his retirement. His office is still full of boxes and boxes of slides. My cousin and I used to pull them out and set up a projector to look at them. I keep saying that I'm going to invest in one of those little machines that converts them to digital but I haven't yet. It's fun to see everyone young and realize who passed on physical traits and expressions even.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did as a kid with my siblings. We'd also have church pictures every year. We've of course done informal group pictures at family reunions and oddly, funerals. Nothing says a group family photo like having great grandma's casket in the background. :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 1983, I took a photo of my entire family; parents, siblings, spouses, and their children. There were 33 of us in the shot, as I used a self-timer. Since then, I have taken other shots of family groups, but no more. Too many of them have passed, but the photos remain.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've have a few family (mom, dad, sis and me) photos from when I was a baby so I don't remember taking them. But there are a few later on that I do remember. Once my Mom took my sister and I to get a photo taken and I remember we were in a tiff that day, normal sibling bickering..."Stop touching me" and "you're so annoying" type stuff. Well, we were sat side by side and we were to place our hands on top of the other and were to lean our heads towards each other for the pose. We did it, but we were NOT happy about it. The photo turned out perfectly fine, you would never know we hated every moment. LOL! We looked ever innocent and loving.
Another time my mom took us to get a photo of the three of us (this was after my parents divorce). I didn't know that we were going and wasn't really dressed nice...mom didn't care because she wanted the photo to be a casual, everyday shot...nothing fancy or "put on". I don't like that photo of myself...my hair was terrible, my smile looked weird and I was dressed like a slob...I was only 10/11ish so it really doesn't matter overall, but I did wish my Mom would have told me about it beforehand. She loves the picture btw.
Otherwise, the only other family photos I have of us with my mom or dad's side is from my wedding and from one of my step-brother's wedding.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a small family photo about 10 years ago and was happy to do it, but now, no. Like strider rose strider rose I am not a big fan of photos.
I'm not a fan of photos either. I will not let anyone take my picture. When my family gets together and start taking pictures I leave the room. My brother belongs to a camera club and he really takes beautiful pictures. Some of his photos have ended up on calendars and magazines. But I have to threaten him with bodily harm if he gets near me with a camera.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a fan of photos either. I will not let anyone take my picture. When my family gets together and start taking pictures I leave the room. My brother belongs to a camera club and he really takes beautiful pictures. Some of his photos have ended up on calendars and magazines. But I have to threaten him with bodily harm if he gets near me with a camera.
I am the same way! If I want to be in the photo, I'll be in the photo. I am not photogenic. If I walk away, it means not today, and I can't stand people who won't respect that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've never done a group photo since I've been an adult. I have one with the grandparents with all the grandkids.

And I also hate making granny squares :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The last family photo (without my parents) was taken at my niece's wedding. It's really a very nice picture.

Mom wanted a family photo many years ago and contracted with a photographer in town. We all went in for the picture and it's OK. But my sister and I weren't getting along very well back then and I think it shows.

When Rick's mom turned 100, we had a mini-party at the nursing home, with us, the Grands, and Rick's sister and BIL. We took some pictures of the his mom with the Grands. But that was about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last family photo (without my parents) was taken at my niece's wedding. It's really a very nice picture.

Mom wanted a family photo many years ago and contracted with a photographer in town. We all went in for the picture and it's OK. But my sister and I weren't getting along very well back then and I think it shows.

When Rick's mom turned 100, we had a mini-party at the nursing home, with us, the Grands, and Rick's sister and BIL. We took some pictures of the his mom with the Grands. But that was about it.
You just reminded me we did a larger cousins type one at my grandmas 100th birthday party. More extended family came that I hadn’t seen in years and years. One 2nd? 3rd? cousin is married to a photographer so he was there capturing all the memories and got one of a bunch of us. It was pretty good but I’m not sure I even have a copy. At least I didn’t look awkward or anything. It was just really hot in there for November! All hair curling had melted for everyone. 😅

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last family photo was in 2004 with my siblings and spouses, their children my Mom and her identical Twin Sister and her family. The celebration was my Mom and Twins 85th birthday.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think the last family photo of me, my parents and my siblings was at my brother's second wedding over 20 years ago.