Question of the Day - Monday, April 26, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting a bit early today; in hopes I'm getting a jump on some things that need doing this week!

Can you "hand craft" anything? Sewing, crochet, woodworking, welding, embroidery, etc?

I have learned to do a bit of sewing and cross stitching over the years. I tried to teach myself to crochet but didn't stick with it long enough. My Grandpa always let me do stuff in his wood-shop so I'm somewhat handy with tools. I can hold my own in the kitchen but I haven't been enjoying it like I used to. I'm more craftsy than artsy I think; but I find it all fun.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to crochet. I primarily crochet stuffed toys. I don't use patterns anymore and just kind of have an idea in my head on what I want to make and then I just make it. Here are the last two things I made.
This is Appa from The Last Airbender. I made it for my brother-in-law and it is the size of a medium sized dog. I used pictures to create him, so no pattern with him.
1619413033662.png

This triceratops was for my older niece, Noelle, who loves dinosaurs. She named it Tailey.
1619413102616.png

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not bad at sewing, and can knit and crochet a bit as well. But only the basics in the second two. My brother is a fantastic artist he can draw just about anything from landscapes to people unfortunately I don't have his talent and always wanted to be able to draw like him. His sketches are awesome.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 - wow! Those are awesome!

I can follow a cross stitch pattern! I haven't done it in years though. I learned how to sew as a child, and could probably follow a pattern there as well. I want to be able to make J's Halloween costumes like my mom did for us. Knitting and crocheting are very rudimentary. I'm interested in seeing if I could do more fancy stitches and stuff now that there are so many youtube tutorials. I had trouble just with written instructions and still pictures as a child (I had a learn to crochet book), but am visual and seeing someone do it while being able to watch as many times as needed might help me get it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty crafty...even if I haven't done something before, if I just take a moment to think it thru, maybe watch a video or too, I can figure it out. The only thing haven't done before is crochet, and the last time I tried to knit was when I was 10... but I do want to learn how. I'm decent with sewing, but it's mostly by hand, fixing seems or sewing back on buttons. The only time I ever made anything from a pattern was in high school...but it turned out great, so I can only assume that I could do it again....it's another thing I want to get into, but I need a sewing machine first. I used to make jewelry, but haven't had time lately....yet another thing I need to get back into again.
I'm actually planning on making some planter boxes for my deck this year...I guess we'll se how they turn out. I also have a few pieces of furniture that I want to refinish. And when I have the money, I want to build a floor to ceiling/wall to wall pantry in the "nook" in my kitchen...I soooo need storage!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a course a long time ago in Blacksmithing and found I was a natural at it.just loved the way the metal flowed and moved under your hands..wish I had continued on with it.
Would love to try glass blowing one day.
its kinda crazy blowing glass :lol:sometimes the glass can get so thin while your trying to blow a ball etc. when it pops the glass floats around like ash in the air

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sew and I'm actually pretty good at pottery. I can throw things on the wheel, fire and glaze them.
I used to repair small pottery kilns as a sideline job and some of the pottery being done by people in their homes was beautiful and incredible, admired their skills a lot with the over laying of glazes and such

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy sewing and have had a small business sewing and selling washable covers for Swiffer sweepers on Etsy for seven years. But I also love woodworking and wood refinishing. I built my the headboard for my bed and a few smaller pieces around the house and have refinished a bunch of others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can follow instruction/a pattern reasonably well for pretty much anything. Whether it's putting up a shed or doing cross stitch or sewing. But I'm not creative AT ALL, so the instructions/pattern are very necessary.

And while I can use a sewing machine, I can only use it until something goes wrong. I'm absolutely flummoxed by those things, I have idea how they work at all, lol. So I can put a new bobbin in but if it goes wonky I don't know how to correct it. And something always goes wonky :/.