Question of the Day - Monday, April 20, 2020

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A real bicycle and not an exercise bike was in the summer of 2018 during our trip to the UP in Michigan. We rented bikes to go on some trails. It was hard. I've been on exercise bikes more recently.

Never been on a motorcycle or moped.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I rode my bike last week. I have a cheap hybrid (street/mountain mix). Seoul is a relatively bikeable city and I live in a neighborhood where there are lanes on some streets, so I feel relatively safe riding on the street with cars as opposed to the sidewalks. I also have quick access to the lengthy bikeway that runs along the river which is super nice provided drunk pedestrians aren't meandering around it.

The last time I was on a motorbike was in Hanoi just before Christmas. It's really affordable to use a rideshare app (Grab) for motorbike taxis there and due to the traffic, it was much quicker to hJustop on a bike than wait around for a car. There are some streets where car taxis can't even go at certain times.

I had a Vespa scooter for all of 6 months in high school until I realized how impractical it was to have one in the Minnesotan suburbs. My brother had a dirt bike that was also street legal so I would sometimes ride on the back of that. I like riding on motorbikes, not so much being the driver! Though I keep considering buying another Vespa now that I live in a place where I could actually use it year-round. That or a cafe racer style motorcycle like the Triumph Bonneville.
Are there a lot of drunk pedestrians in Seoul? Is it legal to be drunk in public there? Just curious.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Riding a motorcycle is a blast but havn't done so in awhile. Riding a moped in Greece made me want to purchase one when I got back home-but I never did. Bicycle always fun also but haven't ridden one in awhile. There are a lot of pretty pathways in my town but I usually walk them.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are there a lot of drunk pedestrians in Seoul? Is it legal to be drunk in public there? Just curious.
It is legal to be drunk and to drink in public here. No paper bags needed. Many people like to hang out at the riverside parks and have picnics late into the night and so walk around drunk (and in the dark) with their friends/lovers/family members.
Because drinking is so ingrained into work culture here (although it's changing little by little), if the government decided to crack down on public drunkenness, they'd be arresting a lot of well-off businessmen! Oh, and the clubs don't close until 5 or 6am either, so young people just stay out all night and catch the first trains home.

I have occasionally seen police talking to folks who are clearly way past inebriated and can't function enough to stand, but they don't get arrested. They just get taken to the police box/station to sober up or their family gets called to come and get them.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I rode a bike was in 2000 before the shoulder/biceps tendon surgery.

Have never ridden a moped

Passenger on a Harley with King and Queen seats in 1974, fell off, not dressed properly,
cinders in-bedded in my back which my roommate removed while I was in the shower, some
foot damage. Have not been back on one since then.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is legal to be drunk and to drink in public here. No paper bags needed. Many people like to hang out at the riverside parks and have picnics late into the night and so walk around drunk (and in the dark) with their friends/lovers/family members.
Because drinking is so ingrained into work culture here (although it's changing little by little), if the government decided to crack down on public drunkenness, they'd be arresting a lot of well-off businessmen! Oh, and the clubs don't close until 5 or 6am either, so young people just stay out all night and catch the first trains home.

I have occasionally seen police talking to folks who are clearly way past inebriated and can't function enough to stand, but they don't get arrested. They just get taken to the police box/station to sober up or their family gets called to come and get them.
Wow, that seems very strange indeed. I guess maybe you had culture shock at first. Very interesting!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember when I rode a bike the last time - maybe when I was teaching my kids? It has been about 40 years since I was on a motorcycle. I owned a motorcycle as my primary mode of transportation when I got married. Hubby talked me into selling it after a couple of years. Still miss it, but I don't think I would be brave enough to ride it now.