Question of the Day - Monday, April 18, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Monday. I'm definitely off schedule here and out of sorts. I slept really really hard last night and almost forgot that I'd scheduled a grocery pickup for this morning. I fell asleep before I finished making sure I'd added everything we needed too. Oops! I had to text DH at work to see if he needed me to run in and get him deodorant or if it could wait a week. My kids are looking a bit sleepy and even Mooch looks perturbed about something. Maybe we all need coffee. :lol:

My fridge is stocked with Easter dinner leftovers as well as the groceries I ordered now. When my mom and stepdad first got married he wasn't used to eating leftovers; but my mom and I always had them. It had been just the 2 of us most of my life so leftovers were normal. He grew up in a big family and had a big family; so I guess they just weren't. He came to see how good are. ;) And some leftovers just taste better the next day!

Do you eat leftovers? What's your "It's better the 2nd day" dish?

I try to plan our meals so leftovers get us through the weekend and I don't have to cook those days. Sometimes it's really, really helpful on weekdays too. (Also I'd like to say that my son is standing here reading over my shoulder breathing on me while licking out a bowl of cheeze-its and the smell is ... it worked....he's gone... :flail:)

I have a few things I make that I prefer on the 2nd day. I do a Beef Stroganoff in the crock pot and it's always so good the next day! Chili or pulled pork/chicken is one we all love.

I make a Spinach or broccoli puff for Thanksgiving and everyone wants the leftovers. (It's got bisquick, egg and cheese.) There's also a chicken/pasta dish made with cherry peppers, cream, and white wine from my hometown that everyone makes extra so you can have leftovers.

Any kind of pasta salad is better the next day too. I do that more in the summer though.

Cheese and pasta seem to be big contributors to the favorites here. 🧐🤔🤫 And that's probably why I don't make them too often. :rolleyes2:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leftovers? Most of our meals consist- at least in part- of leftovers. Michele will make big batches of food, and then we eat it for the next several days. She doesn't like to fiddle around making small amounts, since there's just the two of us
Better the second (or third, or fourth......)? Chili con carne, of course, with honorable mention to bean soup.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have leftovers all the time but I can't think of any that taste better the second, third or fourth day. DH and I like when food is freshly made but we would never waster food. It's nice not to have to cook every night so eating leftovers comes in quite handy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes of course we eat leftovers. Any kind of pasta or pizza are good. This is weird, but I really like leftover sub sandwiches, they get soggy and I've always loved that taste since I was a kid! Sounds weird, but try it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes of course we eat leftovers. Any kind of pasta or pizza are good. This is weird, but I really like leftover sub sandwiches, they get soggy and I've always loved that taste since I was a kid! Sounds weird, but try it...
I put vinegar on my subs so I have to watch they don't get TOO soggy; but I do like a 2nd day sub. Sometimes I'll get a long one on purpose so I can have 2 meals from it. :yummy:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When you cook for one you pretty much always have leftovers. Not better than freshmade most of the time but they will do. One that I do like better is leftover chicken. It gets turned into chicken Alfredo or chicken tacos the second and sometimes third night and I like both better than plain chicken.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been a fan of leftovers,and hubby as well.To me,any soup or stew,chili,some casseroles all seem to be better the next day or so.When I was a kid we always had leftovers and my Mom did it on purpose.She worked full time and it was so much easier for her to come home and heat something up...guess I followed her lead!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cole slaw, especially if it's made with fresh cabbage, is much better the next day. I know people who deliberately make it the day before to bring it to a potluck. Chili is better the second day or third day if it's reheated, but mine never is now because I live alone. I make a big pot and then freeze the rest of it in single-serve batches, so it always tastes newly made. Same for homemade soups.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is weird, but I really like leftover sub sandwiches, they get soggy and I've always loved that taste since I was a kid!
I do too! I like the soggy bread and crunchy veggies and all the flavors melded together, idk why but it just works.

For a while I was in the habit of making a big batch of something and then eating that for lunch the entire week. I haven't been doing that lately; I'm on a hummus and pita bread kick. But I should get back to that.

Spaghetti, chili, a lot of stews and casseroles are better the next day. The flavors/spices get to meld and soak in.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that it is just me, I eat a lot of leftovers. Any kind of stew or soup is better the next day. Now that I use more sauce, so I don't have to boil the noodles first I think lasagna is actually better the next day.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best leftover I think is Spaghetti with or without meatballs . Having the sauce seap in To the noodles produces a better flavor.
Gluten Free pasta starts to fall apart or even dissolve in the sauce. The kinds made with corn sometimes completely dissolve into pudding!