Question of the Day - Monday, April 13, 2020

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm planning to make pizzas with my kids one of these days. My mom found yeast in one of the local stores to split with me since everyone is out. We are going to make crust from scratch. Depending on how much dough we make I might let my kids each make their own so we can do pesto and white pizzas.
We had a pizza party here once with with the kids and grandkids. They all like different toppings so we made a few different pizzas, with everyone picking their own toppings. I had medium sized pie pans for the adults and mini ones for the kids. I got store-bought dough, though. We made a huge mess of the kitchen but it was fun. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give me dim sum over pizza any day :yummy:

I used to like pizza better but prefer Thai now. I like Thai better than Chinese because it uses more herbs and spices.
Sichuan and northern Chinese cuisine are more flavorful than southern Chinese cuisine. Lots of spice. Most Chinese restaurants in the US are Cantonese (and Americanized at that) which can be blah but it really depends on what you order. In big cities like New York City you can find pretty much any cuisine from all over China besides the Americanized cuisine.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo....have you ever had bbq pizza? Or pizza with pesto sauce instead of tomato? My mom makes a really good white pizza too. My DD orders the white pizza from the place our mall's food court has.

I'm planning to make pizzas with my kids one of these days. My mom found yeast in one of the local stores to split with me since everyone is out. We are going to make crust from scratch. Depending on how much dough we make I might let my kids each make their own so we can do pesto and white pizzas.
Yes! We like to order from a place called Jet's that has the option for a bbq sauce, which I normally get. I think they have a ranch option as well. I made one with a pesto base when we made our own pizzas at my ILs house, I believe. I mean, I love cheese and I love bread and I like pepperoni a lot, too, so I'm all about pizza without regular sauce.

I don't like pineapple, either, so anything sweet and sour Chinese is out for me, too, but I will happily eat crab rangoon like there's no tomorrow, which probably isn't authentic, but oh well!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't Imo's supposed to be a popular place? I feel like I've heard that name in several places. I do follow an author who lives in Missouri; so maybe that's why.

I really wish my area would sustain more authentic restaurants. I grew up in a town that was pretty ethnically diverse; so it helped me appreciate and enjoy the different foods from different cultures. I can't find that here unless you know someone who will cook for you. Of course home cooking is usually the best anyway. :lol:

So it's chain places here. Even the pizza places aren't like New York pizza. But I've found a few that do a good job.

Yeeesss!!! :drool: I love Mexican. It's near the top of my list of places to go once restaurants are open again. :lol:

Oooo....have you ever had bbq pizza? Or pizza with pesto sauce instead of tomato? My mom makes a really good white pizza too. My DD orders the white pizza from the place our mall's food court has.

Imos is very popular in MO where it originated. But their pizzas are too expensive (even if I liked pizza).About Imo's Pizza | Our History

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Americanizwd Chinese food isn't really Chinese anyway. Mostly sugar syrup on fried meat. Which is still pretty yummy :D. But pizza is awesome too. But there's more variety in Chinese food so I'd probably pick that.

I really prefer Korean and Indian food. North Indian, mostly. I like some Thai dishes but there are a lot of flavors I haven't gotten used to---coconut is great but for me it's a bit jarring in savory dishes.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since most pizza has tomato sauce on it, Chinese food is usually my preference. If I can get pizza with a different sauce, the question is tougher.
I am allergic to tomatoes, so I only have white sauce, alfredo, or garlic sauce when we get it. There is this place called Joe's Pizza Box on our way to my mother-in-law's house that makes a vegetable pizza that is amazing. We rarely have reason to stop there when we go to her house, though, and it is more than an hour and a half away. Now, if we are talking that specific pizza, I would still say Chinese, but I would pause before making the choice! Haha!

I have tried replicating it with complete failure. I think Joe uses special pizza magic that I do not possess.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since most pizza has tomato sauce on it, Chinese food is usually my preference. If I can get pizza with a different sauce, the question is tougher.
We used to have a pizza place here, and we got to know the owner, who actually was from Italy, and he would make a white pizza, without tomato sauce, for Michele, even though it wasn't on the menu. Too bad it closed maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hot and spicy Chinese over Pizza and Pizza over any other Chinese or Americanized Chinese. I can't tolerate it as hot and spicy as I used to. Now when I go to Chinese restaurants that make the hot and spicy dishes really hot and spicy I now have to ask that they be toned down a bit. Kind of embarrassing but I can't do the all out heat and spice anymore like I used to.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't Imo's supposed to be a popular place? I feel like I've heard that name in several places. I do follow an author who lives in Missouri; so maybe that's why.
Yes it is. I know people who swear by it, but to me it was...just.. that processed Provel cheese...the greasy flimsy crust...I may have also gone to one that was unusually poor, but I was also starving and thirsty and so you'd think anything would be fine but...yikes.