Question of the Day: Monday, 6/30/14

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Monday ya'll.  It's actually still Sunday night here but it's about to be Monday for some of you.  I'm about to hit the sheets but I had to enjoy a couple pizzelles my Aunt sent back with us from our trip up for my cousin's wedding last weekend.  She sent us home with a LARGE container.  And we left 3 other equally large ones on the counter; plus a tub of gluten free ones.  I have no idea why she made so many; but it makes it plain which side of my family I got the tendency to over-do things from.  There was never any question really. 
  These are normally something we only make at Christmas; so it's nice to have some now.  

We had a really relaxing weekend; which was SO needed after the last weekend's festivities.  (My 4yo was one of the flower girls in the wedding.)  I''m sad to see the weekend go!  But now in the US we are looking forward to the 4th of July and that means fireworks!  I've already got people on my facebook page talking about having gone to see them, people setting them off around their neighborhoods, etc.

Fireworks: Yay or Nay?

For me it's a "yay" if it's one of the organized events where it's a real show.  It's a "nay" if it's just the ones that make noise and annoy your neighbors and scare people's pets.  My kids really enjoyed them last year and I'm looking forward to going to the town's display again this year.  In past years; some of our neighbors have set off decent size ones we can see on the way home (pretty sure it's illegal though).  Those are sort of nice; but also annoying with the noise.  Being out in a more rural area makes the echo so much louder.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be more into the whole fireworks thing, but as I've gotten older I can kind of take it or leave it.  I go for more of the social thing rather than the event itself.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them on TV so I do not have to deal with the cats being afraid and my dog thinking they are trying to kill her days after.  Someone sets them off on the corner about 200 feet from our house.  My other dog barks at them and thinks it is great fun.  I really do not like loud noise even when expecting it which has gotten worse over the years.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, people are setting off fireworks for weeks before! Mostly the noise making ones.......So I have to say nay, but there have been times I have really enjoyed the neighbor rooftop fireworks before and after the Macy's crazy show off in the distance.....

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lt's Canada Day here in a couple of days and people have already been setting off fireworks. There's a school ground and a city park across from my house and that's where the public fireworks are held. Luckily the cats seem to like them, they go to the window to see what the noise is, so l enjoy them. lf they scared the cats l'd probably feel differently.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes. I like to watch them. But I'm talking about the municipal displays, the ones that towns create, not the ones in the neighborhood. We're going over to my sister's for July 4th for a picnic. Their property now goes right down to the creek, so we can have our picnic there, watch the display (which is a beautiful and long display....they do a great job), wait until all the people go home and all the traffic is died down, and then we can go home. We don't have to worry about parking, about food, about anything. 

Our neighbors used to do fireworks and they didn't care if we were in the midst of a drought or what. It used to bother us because their stuff would land on our roof or in the flowerbeds. And they'd start a couple weeks ahead of time and continue it well into July sometimes, depending on how much stuff they had. Nothing is worse than somebody who's had more than enough to drink and decides it's time for fireworks.

Doesn't bother our cats in the slightest.

In Pennsylvania, one can sell fireworks, but we can't buy anything other than the little stuff, sparklers and the like. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, yay. I grew up in Niagara Falls, so my brother used to always take me right down to the Falls to see fireworks for any Canadian holiday. Even if it was a US holiday, we could see them lighting up on the other side of the border! We used to have neighbours set off fireworks in the park at the end of our street too, so I've never had to go far to see or hear fireworks and it's never effected the pets.

I kind of miss the convenience of being able to see them close up from home. Now I just can't be bothered to go anywhere just to see them, but the last time I saw some going off for Victoria Day I saw them from a distance in my apartment as they were shooting up from nearby parks.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is Canada Day, we will be going to the fireworks. Aimee loved them last year but she was only 10 months old. I am hoping she loves them still because I enjoy watching them. I live out in the country so there is always people setting them off around here when there are holidays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am enjoying them much more since having kids.  My DD really doesn't care for loud noises so that's always a concern; but last year she did great.  It's fun to watch their faces watching the fireworks.  

M&N never seem to visibly react.  We used to live pretty close to city center; where the big display was.  I don't think they care for it though.  One of my friend's dog spends the whole evening in the tub.  He goes there for thunderstorms too.  I guess the 4th is a good use for thunder shirts too. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mind the municipal ones unless they're really close to where I live, because I've spent too many New Year's Eves sitting behind the couch with a scared cat! I could definitely do without the neighborhood ones.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fireworks at the park tomorrow night for Canada Day. It's so nice that the entire country does something to celebrate my cat's birthday. He's turning 14 tomorrow. Wish they'd bring presents.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy watching them, on the day it's designated for (4th of July, Disney's events, so on), but if its random fireworks, or a week before the 4th of July, then it annoys me.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I like them, but I don't like dealing with the Mosquitos. Personal fireworks are illegal here in MA, but not in RI, which is a mile away from me. There's plenty of little fireworks going off. :rolleyes:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always liked them, because they are so pretty to watch, but can definitely do with out the big booms!

I live near a stadium, so usually a day or two before the 4th, there are some going off. It's nice because I can see them from my house, just a few doors down,

but poor Angel runs & hides under the bed, so after a few, I'm like, "o.k. that's enough, your scaring my baby!"

If I know ahead of time, I try to give him some Rescue Remedy on a treat.