Question Of the Day Mon 4th

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very, very tiring. I love my family, but they're full of drama, and it's hard on the head. Dana's family isn't that easy to deal with either. We tried a few times to do our own things on holidays and just got bombarded with guilt trips, so either way we were screwed.

schneidermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tiring if I'm working, relaxing if I'm not! Family lives so far away and being Australian my Independence Day is really January 26th so it's either a day by myself relaxing or a day working.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiring, but fun. Usually any family gathering is at my MIL's and no one else comes and helps her get ready. They just show up, eat and leave. No help preparing or cleaning up so DH and I are the ones stuck with it since we live next door and don't have kids. But that's why I usually request the day after a holiday off from work. THAT is my relaxing time!! Today, I spent 2 hours just floating in the pool. I'm a tad bit crispy, but it was worth it!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're at my house and its just hubby and I, relaxing
If it involves family drama (like last Xmas), tiring.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say both tiring and relaxing. Most of our holidays are spent in our house with the family. We have a big dinner, clean up and then relax. For summer holidays, we're outside by the pool or, if we're at my sister's house, we're down by the creek.

For the last several years, Christmas has been with my side of the family....my brother and SIL, sister and BIL, their kids and our kids. It's not on Christmas, but we try to get together sometime in December just to be together. I do most of the cooking, but I will say that both my niece and my niece-in-law are right there with me, helping with prep work, making the side dishes, things like that.

This year for Thanksgiving, we're all going to visit my niece for the big dinner. My sister and I are going the night before, so that we can help with cooking. My BIL and my DH will be coming down Thanksgiving morning. I think there will be around 20-24 of us, including grandkids, so it will be hectic, but fun, too. We wanted to do that last year at Thanksgiving, but when my father became really ill, we knew it would be our last holiday with him....we all went home to my mom and dad instead.

So I would have to say both. It's wonderful spending time with family and we all love being together in the kitchen, working on food and just having a good time. But yes, it can be hectic....because we're all working on food and having a good time!
I wouldn't give those times up for anything!