Question of the day - May 8th :)

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't currently have a job, as am disabled. however, my dream job would either be a singer, or a nail technician!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my job after quitting a previous job and my boyfriend put in a good word for me. He worked for a cell phone company that had a little booth inside of a store and he knew the managers of the store. He basically got me the interview, and I got myself the job (and a promotion after only a few months there). I am currently a cashier supervisor, but I also work at the customer service desk sometimes and I really hate it.

I don't plan on working there much longer. I want to go back to school and get a job as either a photographer or a vet tech.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Happy Thursday!

How did you get the current job you have right now? Would you be happy if you had that job until you retired? If not, what job would you love to take right now if it were offered to you?
I got my current job in many ways. I would not be happy working that until I retired, it isn't a bad job by any means, it just isn't me for long term, I do like the staff and environment and am happy for the time being. I have tried so many different fields and have various degrees, but my one favorite job of all would be a stay at home mom!
People don't believe that when they hear my education, they say I am not wanting enough, but I know what I want. I used to think it was money, the bottom line was what mattered; however as I got older I understood money wasn't what I needed as much as I needed to love what I do and love it with all my heart. People spend a heck of a lot of time at work, it needs to be enjoyable. At least for me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Happy Thursday!

How did you get the current job you have right now? Would you be happy if you had that job until you retired? If not, what job would you love to take right now if it were offered to you?
manpower tech.
nope hate this place.
i just want to go back overseas and run my coffee shops.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my current job through MUCH persistence, as well as some help from friends I made before getting here. I work in an environmental chemistry laboratory doing prep for mercury analysis. I applied to the company SEVEN times over the course of a year and a half.

My husband worked here for about 4 years when I started applying (he had dabbled in field services, geophysics, and stack testing here, before going to work in the metals lab). Through him, I met people that worked here as well. I had another job when they finally called me in for an interview, using a year-old application (instead of the most recent
). I got a job in the sample management department and logged in/returned/pulled samples for the lab people. After a year and 7 more internal applications, I got a job in the metals lab, and then in November, someone left the lab due to pregnancy and I was moved to Mercury (which is sort of a promotion, since now I handle everything myself in this area - in metals there are 4 other employees). Supposedly my current team leader helped in me getting a job in both the company, and then in metals. Another guy who has worked here 20+ years who knew me for a year or so before I got hired had also gave good word about me after my interview. And hubby did as well, of course!

I dont know if I'd want this job until retirement, seeing as I'm only 21 right now and retirement is a ways from now!! (Although Rob and I say we want to retire by 40-45
). I do love my job though (it's the job I've stayed at the longest, other than my "unofficial" job working for my dad on cars when I was younger) and don't see myself leaving any time soon. They pay rather well, and seeing as I dont even have a chemistry degree, that's pretty good! I'm not sure if there is a job that I would give it up for right now.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been working for several years as a Surgical Technologist in Lansing, and going through a nasty divorce. I really wasn't able to support myself very well, I was 2 hours away from family, and all alone (my husband was sleeping with my best friend...or should I say, ex-best friend!) My mother, who never reads the newspaper, happened to be looking through the classified ads one night and saw a position for a Surgical Technologist at the hospital in my home town. I applied, and was hired two weeks later. I've been here ever since! I went back to school for my BSN several years ago, but decided that floor nursing wasn't my cup-o-tea! I knew that my first (and only) love was the Operating Room. Yes, I will be in the O.R. until I retire!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved being a massage therapist, but had to let my license go after finding my education, hard work, and 3 hours of commuting every day would not support the cats, much less myself and my SO if it ever came to that. There is just no money in it here. I still work on friends because I love it, but cannot do it for money since my license has lapsed and I don't have the approximate $1000 it would take by now to get my continuing education, get relicensed, etc.
My job with Directv started out great and had benefits, but they are in Chapter 11 and fired over half of their employees in such a sneaky way we may not even be able to get unemployment. That is a horrible company, and make you lie to your customers, and their ads are just plain lies, even the fine print. It made me sick to go there after awhile.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was recommended for the job I have now by a former boss. I worked for this gentlemen as an aministrative assistant for 5 years before he retired..When he was asked by my present boss if he knew of anyone who could help get his business organized when he first started out 15 years ago I was suggested and the rest is history.

I do plan on semi-retiring is a couple of years..I like my job however it is very time-comsuming if I had married or had children I certainly wouldn't have been at it this long.