Question of the Day - May 22nd - Friday

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Nope. Not a thing that isn't already in the food we eat. I try to make sure we eat well, and it seems to stand us in good stead.

Last time this was asked I did a
to Fran's post too

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm BAD at remembering to do anything every day. Especially taking pills. I do take fish oil when I remember, because my knees hurt and the fish oil helps a lot. I make it cod liver oil in the winter for the vitamin D. Otherwise I don't take any vitamins, except for calcium/magnesium around a certain time of the month (helps prevent cramps).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waiting and taking vitamin C when one thinks they're getting sick won't do anything. If you're showing symptoms you've been infected for days already and the virus has had plenty of time to replicate in your cells. But who knows, maybe there's enough of a placebo effect to fool people.

However keeping other vitamin levels within healthy ranges can help one's health. If you have other health problems, take regular medications which deplete vitamins and minerals, or maybe even can't properly convert certain things and have to take a more final form - then yes, you probably need to take something and should have your doctor monitoring this.
If you're just guessing and doing this because it seems like some "in" thing then you're probably wasting time and money (if you have enough of some vitamins from foods your body won't keep more of it), and may be risking your health by taking extra that accumulate (like iron and zinc).
A little research would show anyone that just grabbing something off the shelf and trusting it's safe to take because it's OTC could even be deadly to some.
The point. Always discuss anything and everything OTC taken with your doctor.

So no, I don't take any sort of vitamin or mineral supplements. Vitamin C makes me sick (causes vomiting) even when in multivitamins. I should take potassium but after years of trying it's pretty much useless as my body will not hold onto it in amounts needed to even get me close to recommended range.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to when I lived at home. My grandma got my mom giving us Cod liver oil, multi-vitamin, vitamin C, echinacea, and who knows what else.

Sometimes I'll remember to take my 1-a-day woman's vitamin.