Question of the Day Late Edition Saturday the 7th of January, 2023

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One Christmas when I was 15 or 16 my sister gave me a bright purple velvet mini dress. I dressed very conservatively and didn’t like attention and no way on earth would I or did I ever wear it.
Did your sister wear things like the mini dress?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember someone gave us one of those dopey glass ‘dipping birds,’ that constantly nod into a glass of water. It irritated my sister so much that when she was babysitting me, she whacked it across the room and it shattered into a million pieces. I was so proud of her, and so stunned. My cool Big Sister.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly do not recall an awful gift right off the top of my head.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my wedding I received a set of old, worn pillowcases embroidered with farm animals on the edges. There was no explanation; like if they were made by say my great-grandmother or something. They came from my great-uncle’s widow; who I never met. I don’t even know how she knew of my wedding unless my Grandmother wrote to her. The thought was appreciated. I think I still have them in a box somewhere.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some anonymous person at work gave me one of those mounted fish that turned and sang some awful song. Can't remember the song. I was totally perplexed as to who would give me such a thing. I threw it out without telling anyone about it.
My granpa had one my aunt and uncle had given him. It scared the kids! It was so loud too!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My granpa had one my aunt and uncle had given him. It scared the kids! It was so loud too!
I wish I could remember what it sang, but it was obnoxious like ay-ay-ay-ay to a somewhat familiar tune and very loud. It was an in-your-face song. The ones on Google now have pop tunes that aren't so bad. Google also says it was a Billy Bass.

At least we got a good laugh out of it. At the time, it wasn't so funny.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Have you ever baked a jelly roll? Sponge cake in a jelly roll pan, as soon as out of oven roll up in a damp cotton kitchen towel. When cool, gently unroll, spread with jam or jelly (beat with a fork to loosen up before spreading) and then roll up again. If that's too much trouble just cut the sponge cake in thirds and use the preserves as filling between layers.
I live on my own and hardly eat any sweet things anymore! Even jogurt has to be natural. But you are right - when I baked for a family, school functions, coffee mornings.... I would use up preserves, improving the flavor of fruit pies, trifles etc. But, since COVID-19 there hasn't even been a charity summer fair selling homebaked cakes and pastries. (Oh, I remember now, I did make one trifle in 2022 for a hospice buffet but my last plum, apricot, strawberry, rhubarb and apple tray bakes enhanced when possible with homemade preserves were baked in the summer before Corona appeared on the horizon. 😿