TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always worked on my birthday, but after reading this I may not next year

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually take the day off for my birthday. Colin also has the same birthday as me- so we normally celebrate together when we can

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At our company we have what they call "floating" holidays. Meaning you can pick a day that may or may not be a holiday and take the day off. Most years we get three. I could choose my birthday if I wanted to. But I don't

I try to pick other days that make more sense. Like if we have a paid holiday that happens to fall on a Tuesday then I would schedule the Monday before that as one of my "floating" holidays.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe I've ever taken off work on my birthday. Well, except this past birthday - because I was on my honeymoon
I did take off school a few times during HS and middle school.

The year before, it was on a Saturday. The year before that, my job had "Birthday Leave", and you could leave work after 4 hours of being there. So you got a half day on your birthday, but you could use it any day within 30 days of your birthday. I used it on my birthday since it was a Friday, and I only worked 6 hours on Fridays anyway.

In 2006 both Rob and I took his birthday off, and the day after. In 2007 we both worked and I surprised him at work with mini-cupcakes and lunch