Question of the Day...........January 21...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in South Dakota we have the best of all the weather! During the winter we get blizzards, and because of the blizzards, when the snow melts, the whole town floods! In 1997 we were declared a national disaster area due to flooding! We had to move out of our house right along with a ton of other people! Last year our basement flooded (We had just remodeled it right before we moved in) so I had to try to save all the new woodworking and couches and stuff, so I spent 15 hours pushing water with a squigy into the drain! BTW, we have always had a sunk pump, it was just too flooded to help that much!

During the summer we are right in tornado ally so we have a bunch of those too! Thank godd I dont live in a trailer park, because those are always the first thing tornados go for!

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in eastern North Carolina so we are prone to hurricanes. Although it has been a while since we have had one! *knocks on wood*

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's any area that doesn't have some threat from Mother Nature hanging over it's head. If it's not Hurricanes it's Tornados, if it's not wildfires, it's floods, if it's not drought it's... well you get my drift.

Here, it's tornados and drought...

Where I am from it's Blizzards, tornados, and some spring flooding.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say snow/ice would be the worst. We have been lucky on not having any tornados however a couple of years ago out house and property escaped damage from a wind shear.
As for flooding we are about 300 yds away from a small creek but out house is much higher and any flood waters would stay away from us.

Are we really prepared?? Partially!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tornados are pretty common here, so are straight line winds (Hurricane Elvis was made of straight line winds here a few yrs back- we were without power for two weeks!)

I am VERY careful when i hear about tornado watches/ warnings! I went through one in Oklahoma once while visiting my cousin. It was the most terrifying thing ever. They lived just a few miles down the road from Moore, Oklahoma (the city that was pretty much demolished a few yrs back in a very bad tornado.) Tornados scare the devil out of me.

So i always keep the house as clean/non-cluttered as i can keep it so that if one hits and we need to get to shelter in the house we can do it quickly. My game plan in the house we're in now is to have Colin and I in the bathtub with pillows/blankets over us and all of the animals in the bathroom with us as well inside of their crate together so that things can not fall on their head. We also have our weather radio programed at all times for warnings. I've also got a 3 days survival /first aid kit for both Colin and I and i have rain/fire proof folders with copies of ALL of our important documents as well as all of the animals documents/etc. We also have a survivial kit for the pets too should they need it.

We're long overdue for an earthquake in our area- so that has me a little nervous. I've never been through one- so i've tried to go online and research a bit so i know what to do if one hits.

We also get flash floods often here when it gets really rainy- that's not so bad though as long as you aren't driving in it (which you should not be driving in a flash flood anyways!)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the SF Bay Area so that would be earthquakes. Also, when it rains a great deal, we get mudslides. Lots of times houses go down with the mud.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have flooding here...we're the last to get a hurricane on its path out the Atlantic and also we're in the middle for Nor'easters.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mainly just blizzards here although have been a few tornado's south of where I live. In the summer we do get some wild thunder storms that do a lot of property damage and such.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get tornadoes around here, and bad storms. Last summer we had a terrible storm that destroyed a lot of stuff in our area. We were very lucky...we had a big mess in the yard, and no power for five days, but no real damage.

We're probably not as prepared for disaster as we should be. I do make sure that I have carriers for the cats on each floor of the house so I can get to one if I need to evacuate them in a hurry.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tornadoes and flooding in the summer. Blizzards or ice storms in the winter. I have a NOAA Weather Radio with alert feature. I also keep my basement stocked with food, cat food, and water for emergencies.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Hurricanes, Nor'Easters and occasional blizzards.
Lately they have been missing us.
Tornadoes are becoming more common however.

My area doesn't flood but there are a few places within the city that does.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We often get remnants of hurricanes/tropical storms in the summer, but we've had a couple of hurricanes hit (last one being Hurricane Juan in September 2003). We also get nor'easters, blizzards, ice storms.

As for being prepared, unfortunately I'm not. I think about it but I'm horrible for procrastinating.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly bad thunderstorms & heavy rain, possible tornadoes, and a chance for hurricanes (Hurricane Rita caused major damage in this area when it blew through in '05).

~KK~

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here tornadoes which for some odd reason scares the wife more then where are other house is,,

lol there you have earthquakes, volcano;s, tsunami;s, bird flu oh boy

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh I forgot to add that we ARE prepared for anything! There is a certain spot that the children will be at in case of anything nuclear, theres food and water and stuff for the cats and kids to last a month, blankets clothing, stuff like that! We even have special first aid kits and special flashlights! Though I bet when it came down to being trapped down there due to bad weather or something there WOULD be something I forgot! OMG!! I dont have diapers down there!
Just thought about that.... YUCK!!