Question Of The Day, Friday, September 27

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

How old were you on your very first day of school? Was it kindergarten or was it first grade? Or something else?

I was four years old when I started kindergarten. I went in the mornings and walked home afterward with a neighborhood boy to help me.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just 5, elementary school. It was in a beautiful little village called Groes. 10 years later the knocked the school and all the cottages down to make way for a motorway.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

How old were you on your very first day of school? Was it kindergarten or was it first grade? Or something else?

I was four years old when I started kindergarten. I went in the mornings and walked home afterward with a neighborhood boy to help me.
Four, kindergarten. My parents homeschooled me before that time, so I was already reading and writing when I entered school.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My birthday is in October so I was only four when I started kindergarten. Because this was a small rural school the kindergarteners were in the same class as the first graders. I remember being more interested in what they were learning rather than what we were being taught.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember if I ever went to preschool. I know I went to daycare for a few days a week while I was still in diapers.

I started kindergarten at 5, but newly 5... my birthday is the end of July and school stars for us mid-August.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 5 (just turned end of August)when I started kindergarten. It was a 1/2 day. Milk, cookies, nap, ABC’s and colors is what we did. Kindergarten is very different now days.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was in a daycare program at the campus when my mom was attending college. I was too young to remember how old I was. I have some fond memories- they had a great tire playground. The tires were arranged to look like a sea monster. It was half art and half kid fun. I can't believe I still remember it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom wouldn't let me go to Kindergarten until I was 6 years old. So all the other kids were a year younger than me. I wish I could have been with the kids my own age, I never felt like I fit in. Plus my favorite cousin Missy would have been in my class. She was my protector and tried to watch over me, but it was hard since she was a grade ahead of me.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 - isn't that the sad truth! I used to babysit a little boy that was in a 1/2 day preschool. His mom was telling me all the things that he had to know how to do before he started kindergarten. He had to know how to write his full name, had to count to 100 (? sounds right), and had to recognize certain sight words. It all seemed like a lot to ask.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 5 when I started kindergarten. I was already reading for about a year or so when I started. On the first day, I decided I didn't like it and left. I went home. I remember pushing that heavy door open and going home. My brothers used to take me to the playground on the school property so I knew how to get there and home. I also remember walking up the drive way and seeing my parents walk out the front door. They were on the way to go shopping. Mom went back inside and called the school. They hadn't even noticed that I was gone. This was 1975. Can you imagine if that happened today?

Since I already was reading books when I started school, the teacher would have me sit in her chair and the other kids sit around me in a circle. I read to the class while she took a smoke break. Imagine THAT happening today?

It was half day when I went.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 4 starting jr. kindergarten or I guess preschool for those in the US? But I went to a french school, so it was called "Maternelle". "Jardin d'enfance" (or just Jardin) is, I guess, equivalent to Kindergarten (5 years old).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 6 when I started kindergarten. My birthday is in Feb. and the cutoff was Oct.. You had to be 5 to go to kindergarten. (at least in AZ). Never went to preschool, or if I did, I don't remember it.

Edit: Nevermind, I was 5 but turned 6 shortly after.
Sorry. I have a rat in my bathroom cabinet that I can't catch and it was making so much noise last night I couldn't sleep. My mind is gone right now.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a very small town in the middle of corn fields. There was no kindergarten. But my mom did not work so I knew numbers, letter, colors. etc. I started 1st grade at 6. The school was about a block from our house so I could walk. I was so excited to start.

I remember there was a page in our workbook I had been looking forward to doing. That day my parents told me there was no school. But since I could see other kids walking to school, they finally told me that my mom's mother had died and we had to go to the funeral. I was so disappointed. I did not ever see my grandmother - she had been sick with cancer since before I was born and I never went in her room (her choice). So I was not sad, just disappointed about not going to school.