cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
heres a little different question :
pretend that I am blind and describe colors to me

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a tough one, really makes you think.

When I was in high school at a church retreat we did what was called "sensitivity training" at the time. One of the activities split us into pairs. One person was blindfolded and the other led the blind person around the camp, indoors, outdoors, wherever. Then we traded off and the other person was blind. I think it was about 15-20 minutes each. It was as much about building trust as it was experience blindness and was a great relationship-building exercise.

As far as describing colors, I think I'd have to relate them to flavors and scents. For example: there are different shades of yellow, it can be a lemon or a daffodil. Or using apples for different colors. Red: gala; Yellow: yellow delicious; Green: granny smith.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one, really makes you think.

When I was in high school at a church retreat we did what was called "sensitivity training" at the time. One of the activities split us into pairs. One person was blindfolded and the other led the blind person around the camp, indoors, outdoors, wherever. Then we traded off and the other person was blind. I think it was about 15-20 minutes each. It was as much about building trust as it was experience blindness and was a great relationship-building exercise.

As far as describing colors, I think I'd have to relate them to flavors and scents. For example: there are different shades of yellow, it can be a lemon or a daffodil. Or using apples for different colors. Red: gala; Yellow: yellow delicious; Green: granny smith.
GoldyCat GoldyCat this is really cool to read and i enjoy hearing what others feel or think

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What an intriguing question! I may describe colors in terms of temperatures or moods. For example, blue is cooler in temperature, calming, reflective, slightly melancholy; red is warmer, exciting, passionate.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably use touch taste and hearing. For instance, I would suggest you touch the leaves of a tree or grass, and explain that the colour green represents the living part of a plant. For blue, I would suggest listening to the sounds of the sea or lake. For something like red or yellow, the heat of fire or bright glow the sun, or the pulse of blood inside our bodies. Pink would be something sugary and sweet, like the smell or taste of candy.

Of course I have yet to actually try any of this to a blind person! And everyone is different too, what may work for one may not work for another. I've been friends and coworkers with people who were deaf so more used to that thus far.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yellow is a happiness color. It would perfectly describe a nice warm day with lots of sunflowers dancing in the breeze, or people smiling all ears as you jog with your dog or just having a cup of coffee at a park. It describes the sound of a child's giggles, or a newborn's first cry.

Pink is love, sympathy and giving. I can describe it with a nun offering a flower to a soldier on a peaceful revolution, or hordes of crowd chanting a change of leadership in their country like a battlecry (It happened to mine). Pink is a color of scent. It will also remind you of your garden filled with all the flowers in all shapes, colors and sizes.

Red, although one of my favorites, is grief and loss. When I think of Red, it also reminds me of the smell of blood when my non-biological Father almost lost his life. It reminds me of violence, of innocent people being unnecessarily slain by ruthless leaders; of hunger and famine. Red reminds me also of a desert, of loneliness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
Yellow is a happiness color. It would perfectly describe a nice warm day with lots of sunflowers dancing in the breeze, or people smiling all ears as you jog with your dog or just having a cup of coffee at a park. It describes the sound of a child's giggles, or a newborn's first cry.

Pink is love, sympathy and giving. I can describe it with a nun offering a flower to a soldier on a peaceful revolution, or hordes of crowd chanting a change of leadership in their country like a battlecry (It happened to mine). Pink is a color of scent. It will also remind you of your garden filled with all the flowers in all shapes, colors and sizes.

Red, although one of my favorites, is grief and loss. When I think of Red, it also reminds me of the smell of blood when my non-biological Father almost lost his life. It reminds me of violence, of innocent people being unnecessarily slain by ruthless leaders; of hunger and famine. Red reminds me also of a desert, of loneliness.
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote oh goodness this was very intense but i like dreading your words