Question Of The Day, Friday, Sept 29

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not big on pecans. I love cashews and pistachios. And walnuts for brownies and they have to be in homemade fudge and chocolate chip cookies!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Puh-leeze! Puh-leeze! Don't call them "pee-cans." It's an insult to the nut! They are "p'cahns"!

Pecans are my favorite nut. My husband's great aunt used to have a pecan tree and she would bring us a grocery bag full of pecans. I had a special nutcracker that would crack the pecans perfectly, and I would sit in front of the TV at night and crack the nuts all evening.

I used them in everything that called for nuts. I love pecan pie, but it's way too sweet for me. @blueyedgirl5946 - You will have to share your recipe with us.

Notice this is all past tense. Pecans are too expensive up here in Illinois (it's a southern tree), so I have to make do with walnuts, not really my favorite.

My second favorite nuts are almonds. I buy them raw, toast them in the oven, stir in a pat of butter while they are still hot, and sprinkle with a trace of popcorn salt. Yum!
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! for telling everyone the correct way to say pecans! It hurts my ears to hear them called PEE-cans!

Pecans are the nut of choice around here. We have orchards and orchards of them nearby. I'm always tempted to hop a fence and load up on them. We usually have the papershell varieties here so they're much easier to crack. We have (or after Harvey it may be had) a place that would shell your pecans for you for a modest price. Or they'd sell you however much you wanted in whatever form you wanted (in-shell, shelled, halves, pieces, flour). I generally buy mine as halves at Costco, where they're relatively reasonable, as are walnuts and almonds.

Pecans carry the day, though. We make sand tarts, pie, cookies, topping for brownies, ice cream, spiced or sugared halves, if you can think of it, we put pecans in it. It's wonderful in a dessert that uses cherry pie filling, Cool Whip, sour cream, and crushed pineapple. Oh, bliss! Oh, in/on pancakes and waffles, too.

I have about nine pounds socked away right now but they won't last long. If the trees got the nuts knocked off or they were overwatered by Harvey, it may be a very bad season because the nuts are ripening now. As it is, pecan trees alternate light and heavy seasons each year, which is why pecan prices can vary so much from year to year.

We use walnuts but they're a distant second. Almond butter makes great mole. Peanuts come a distant last.

Everyone: What do pecans cost per pound where you are?

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmm... I love nuts, pecans being one of my favorites. I love when they are used in a salad with gorgonzola cheese arugula, pears. The whole combination is wonderful, especially the pecans. I eat some when I feel hungry or shaky, it really helps break the hunger. I love creamy cakes that are topped with pecan halves!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon - If memory serves, which it often doesn't these days, a 10-oz package is $8.99 and a 16-oz package is $12.99. That's for shelled pecans. I don't know what they are unshelled. If there is a place on-line where you can buy them cheaper, I sure would like to know about it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to know where Pam Winchester Winchester gets her 5 pounds of them but I found this on Amazon

upload_2017-9-30_1-20-6.png

I'm not sure what the issue is but I can no longer post a link to anything on Amazon. Is it the new platform?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check the price at Costco. If they're a really good buy, I'd be glad to buy and send them to anyone for the cost of the nuts and USPS postage. What I got a while back is a two-pound package of #1 Fancy halves. Here's what I found online as a current price. In-store prices may be a bit more. You can order them yourselves if you have a Costco membership. They have very good prices on a lot of things. Fro example, I got a $60-$70 Cuisinart mini-chopper for $25. Computer products and TVs are also well-priced and I see they're now carrying appliances. Even if it's a bit of a drive, you'll certainly get your money's worth. Their meat is excellent as is their produce. If you order online, it's certainly worth it. You may have to have a login to open the below:

Costco Wholesale

Click to Zoom
0 undefined
1 undefined

Kirkland Signature Pecan Halves, 2 lbs

Item #203444

Your Price14.99$
Price Per POUND: $7.50
Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
  • Pecan Halves
  • US Fancy
  • #1 Grade
Perfect as a Snack

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I like pecans but cashews are my fave nut not sure how much they are but I can only
buy them occasionally with my meager budget.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for some (unknown to me) reason, i've never particularly liked pecans. add to that that they're a little more costly than peanuts and walnuts, and that's enough for me to simply never buy them. now, i do like salted mixed nuts, and they have pecans in them. and i do really like the occasional pecan pie, though again, the nuts are too costly for me.

i love all other nuts! walnuts are my 'go to' when baking. i don't tend to use almonds for baking, just replace them with walnuts in the recipes. and i do truly love peanuts! recently, i discovered a website where i can buy (in bulk) 'granulated peanuts' -- they sell as a topping for ice cream. those are great! i use them in peanut pies (just like pecan pie, but using peanuts instead and have smooth peanut butter added...:yummy: ), add them along with honey on top of my cream of wheat (making honey-nut cream of wheat), use them when making some of the varieties of granola i bake, sprinkle some over ice cream.

and then there are pistachio's....which i simply adore, but again too costly for me. :dunno:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure what the issue is but I can no longer post a link to anything on Amazon. Is it the new platform?

You can post a link. In the link pop up box where you enter the link, don't include the http:// part. Then the link will show up as a link.

Example: To get a text link for Disney's Moana's soundtrack to show up and not a proudct preview, enter the URL in the link box as www.amazon.com/Moana-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B01MG5L0QM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506777768&sr=8-7&keywords=moana

Or paste the URL without the http:// part directly into the post.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like pistachios best. Also cashews and walnuts. I don't mind other nuts but those are my favorites. Pecans are a little too. . .bitter? Idk how to describe it. I just bought a bag of pistachios from Costco, yum!

Non-members can order from Costco.com with a 5% surcharge. Might still be cheaper/better quality than buying them elsewhere.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pecans are my favorite, they always have been. They aren't cheap though. If you google Texas Pecans you will get a lot of growers that sell on line, they are all about 10 to 10.50 a pound.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pecans are my favorite, they always have been. They aren't cheap though. If you google Texas Pecans you will get a lot of growers that sell on line, they are all about 10 to 10.50 a pound.
Yeah. I looked and found Texas Pecan Company (there are others of course- this is just an example). The prices on the pecans are quite reasonable. $10.25/lb but they want $12.70 to ship it UPS ground. :headshake:

I have always associated pecans (and peaches) with Georgia. :think:

I'd join Costco but the nearest one is 70 miles away. I might order from them with the 5% surcharge. That's not bad at all. I think Sam's gets 10%. We have them close by but I let my membership expire. They are not all that. Sometimes their prices are better than Wal Mart, sometimes not. The shopping experience is better than WM (and they share a parking lot here) but I think it would be hard to find a WORSE shopping experience than at WM.