Question Of The Day, Friday, Sept 29

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :woo:

Gosh, I can't believe September's over already. This month flew by. And it was chilly last night!

I received my pecan order yesterday. Five pounds of delicious pecan pieces. I scooped them up, 2 cups to a bag, put them through the food saver, and tossed them in the freezer. Pecan sandies, butter pecan cake, maple-pecan ice cream, topping for praline pumpkin pie, sticky buns topped with pecans (Rick's already talking about sticky buns! :yummy: ), tossed in with apples for an apple pie, maple-pecan syrup for French toast. Mmmmmm I also love spiced pecans and am going to have to buy some nice pecan halves, just for toasting and spicing.

Do you like pecans? What do you use pecans in? If you don't like pecans, what other nut do you enjoy eating?

You know, other than peanuts or almonds, I never ate nuts as a kid. Mom would get huge bags of assorted nuts for the holidays and put them out on the table. She cooked and baked a lot with black walnuts: ice cream, taffy, fudge, brittles, cakes, cookies, etc. I never bothered with them. I don't know how I developed such a fondness for pecans over the years, but I do enjoy them now. Rick and I like cashews, too, and we always grab a bag of cashew pieces when we go to our local natural food store. And I still love my peanuts and almonds.

How do you like your pecans or other nuts?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy most nuts but unfortunately pecans are not one of them. My favorites are almonds, walnuts and macadamia nuts. I frequently eat a handful of nuts in the afternoon when I need a quick pick-me-up.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOVE pecans! Just got my order, too, of pecans from TVPC!

My hubby makes a great, spicy pear and squash soup, which is even greater with added pecans. :sunshine:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love pecans. I also love macadamias, walnuts and Brazil nuts. Just to snack on mostly.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I do like pecans. I don't eat many of them because of some problems they cause me when I do. But I have a special pecan pie recipe which I make. I pass them to folks at church and friends. I have seen them beg for this pie and swipe it from others who have some. Also I have had many people tell me they never liked pecan pie until they ate the one I gave them.
I posted a thread about what happened to our pecan tree. A Close Call
I miss that dear old tree. We have purchased two pecan trees to replace the one we lost. Hubby is going to plant one today and do the other one next week. They are the Cape Fear trees which are supposed to produce it about four years. In the meantime, I have folks offering me the nuts if I will just make them a pie.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bleh! I dislike pecans! One of my absolutely least favourite ones.

I'm not a nut lover at all, I really don't like any of them. Eating them on their own as a snack is definitely not for me.

The most I can enjoy some of them is if they are with something else, like white chocolate macadamia cookies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I only recently started experimenting with nuts for snacks...so far I seem to prefer cashews-I know it's not a real nut but its soft on my teeth.

I haven't eaten any pecans in a long time so I don't remember if I like them or not...There's a list of nuts I want to try this fall-I just don't know what each nut looks like other than peanuts and cashews etc. I am sure I like them because I have had pecan ice cream and love it.

There's a tree that grows some kind of big nut on it down the road from work-wonder if it's walnuts. I hope it is!

I like walnuts-there's a mixture I buy at the store and I put them in my oatmeal..I am finding I am very fond of them. Now to print out a sheet of what the shell and nuts look like for all the nuts everyone talks about.

As a kid I never was interested in them..but lately where I am trying to eat more protein I am getting interested in nuts and legumes...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember the last time I've had a pecan or what it was in, but I'm sure I liked it. I love eating cashews, almonds, and walnuts, especially if they're salted. Peanuts are good too, but I'd choose the other three over peanuts.

P.S. I pronounce it "pee-can."

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also like to fry pecans in a cast iron skillet and salt them. Another thing I do is make honey coated pecans. Yum. I just wish I could eat more of them. Nuts are good for people.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like macadamia and cashews nuts to snack on and I like pecan pie and walnut cake. I do like peanut butter but not peanuts or almonds.

Did we miss the question for Thursday, September 28, 2017?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like pecans plain toasted and in sticky buns. I don't care for pecan pie. Too sugary for me. I like other nuts, too: peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, etc.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like macadamia and cashews nuts to snack on and I like pecan pie and walnut cake. I do like peanut butter but not peanuts or almonds.

Did we miss the question for Thursday, September 28, 2017?
I don't like peanuts or almonds either- or cashews.

Yes- I think we did.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like pecans plain toasted and in sticky buns. I don't care for pecan pie. Too sugary for me. I like other nuts, too: peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, etc.
The pecan pie I make is not sugary. That is why people like it so well. My pie does have the one cup of sugar that is traditional in most recipes for pecan pie. What is different about it is that there is no Karo syrup in the pie.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not a massive Pecan lover, I do LOVE LOVE LOVE salted roasted pistachios.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. I pronounce it "pee-can."
Puh-leeze! Puh-leeze! Don't call them "pee-cans." It's an insult to the nut! They are "p'cahns"!

Pecans are my favorite nut. My husband's great aunt used to have a pecan tree and she would bring us a grocery bag full of pecans. I had a special nutcracker that would crack the pecans perfectly, and I would sit in front of the TV at night and crack the nuts all evening.

I used them in everything that called for nuts. I love pecan pie, but it's way too sweet for me. blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 - You will have to share your recipe with us.

Notice this is all past tense. Pecans are too expensive up here in Illinois (it's a southern tree), so I have to make do with walnuts, not really my favorite.

My second favorite nuts are almonds. I buy them raw, toast them in the oven, stir in a pat of butter while they are still hot, and sprinkle with a trace of popcorn salt. Yum!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pecan pie I make is not sugary. That is why people like it so well. My pie does have the one cup of sugar that is traditional in most recipes for pecan pie. What is different about it is that there is no Karo syrup in the pie.

I've only ever had store bought pecan pies, even from gourmet-type bakeries, so they're just loaded with sugar and corn syrup :cringe: