Question of the Day - Friday, October 6, 2023

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
First off, This spot is available. If you would like to do the question of the day every Friday please send me a PM. If there are no takers you will continue to be subjected to my bad questions. :wink:

Do you shop at thrift stores, consignment shops, etc.?

I do not regularly but scored quite a few jigsaw puzzles earlier this week for a steal at one.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely ! They're not what they used to be, but I did pick up some really beautiful artwork the other day. And it's the source of many of my jigsaw puzzles too.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely you can pic up some good stuff. Our market has a second hand book stall. You can trade in your old books for one's you haven't read, love thing's like that and charity shops.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not usually. Nothing against them - I've gotten some used stuff via garage sales or facebook marketplace, but I'm not sure where any are around me and probably just wouldn't think to go.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not normally. I don't usually carry cash and the only reason to go is if I'm looking for something specific. Which is usually electronics and I will buy those new with a warranty.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always gone to thrift or consignment stores even if I'm not looking for anything specific. It's not only fun but I've found some hidden gems there too. :thumbsup:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love thrift and consignment stores and see them as sort of an adult scavenger hunt. I won't buy shoes, purses, or anything upholstered though; it has to be something that can be put in hot water to wash.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not in a long while. I used to LOVE browsing this bazar my Great-Aunt's church put on every year (she was a nun). I still have some of the little trinkets my mom or more likely my Grandparents or Great-Aunts and Uncles would get me. Actually that's where one of my favorite cat paintings came from and it's still hanging in my house today.

I do visit antique stores and things sometimes. My Bestie LOVES vintage jewelry and I've scored her a few pieces that turned out to be valuable doing that. She shops them more often because of her love for vintage fashion and things. I find myself too hard to shop for as it is; so clothing is out. I see people reselling furniture and home goods though and I keep hearing about thrift stores raising prices outside the means of people who NEED to shop there. That's sad!

When my kids were younger we passed clothing and baby toys and things around between friends a lot. They are beyond that age now. Plus I have string-bean kids who outgrew their older cousins and friends when they were toddlers. :rolleyes2: I have one niece and nephew we could still pass down to; but my niece is very sensitive to that kind of thing because of her time in foster care (and before). Poor kid wanted to carry her new sneakers around in the box on a hike when we first met her. Her self-worth and healing her trauma are worth more than passing things down like that.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't even heard of consignment stores before this thread! Having looked up what they are, no, I haven't shopped in any. There's one near me but even second-hand the clothes are far too expensive. Thrift stores - we call 'em op shops in Australia and New Zealand - yes, I use them a lot, I've had some great clothes from Vinnies and the Red Cross and the Salvos and the Brotherhood over the years (not to mention my Maddie bag, $4 from the Brotherhood!)

Attachments

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, or I used to when I was younger. I don't shop much at all these days. When I was a kid, my mom, sister, and I liked going to the rummage sales at the church. I remember one year it was the last day and $1 for all you could put in a grocery bag. I got my bag and stuffed it full. When we got home, nobody could believe how much I got in that one bag (without it tearing). I was determined. We didn't have a lot of money, and I got some really nice things at rummage sales back then.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. My entire house is furnished with second-hand, thrifted, and local auction items except maybe a handful of things. There's an antique festival this weekend that I'm probably going to with my mom because she sells antiques on Etsy and I just like finding cool things.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, do I! I have a shop just a few blocks from my house so I visit there regularly. There is also another about five miles away that I also like to visit. For household, decorative things, tools, some furniture and of course puzzles, I try to find it used rather than buying new. Sometimes it takes me months to find a particular thing I am looking for but eventually it shows up.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue where I volunteer runs a thrift shop to raise funds for animal welfare. I work in the thrift shop, cleaning items, testing electronics, and going through donations we have received. I have gotten some great deals there! We get some great clothes. And I got an almost brand new La-z Boy recliner from an estate we cleaned out for a price so cheap I am embarrassed to mention it!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue where I volunteer runs a thrift shop to raise funds for animal welfare. I work in the thrift shop, cleaning items, testing electronics, and going through donations we have received. I have gotten some great deals there! We get some great clothes. And I got an almost brand new La-z Boy recliner from an estate we cleaned out for a price so cheap I am embarrassed to mention it!
That sounds like a such a fun volunteer opportunity.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not anymore, I used to. Since I downsized to a one-bedroom apartment, I don't need more stuff. Things for the home and nick knacks was what I usually bought and I don't need anything now.