Question of the Day, Friday, October 28

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning!
 And Happy Friday!
  I am so ready for the weekend! 

Let's talk about driving around to run errands or to go back and forth to work. When you're driving, are you more likely to listen to the radio, to CDs and tapes, your iPod, or nothing at all? Why? If you're a passenger and the driver is playing music, do you listen to the music or try to carry on a conversation anyway?

When I'm driving and am alone, I'll listen to my iPod if I'm driving Hannah. If I'm driving Clarence (who has no iPod jack), then I'll throw in a couple CDs. I never, ever listen to the radio. Ever. The ads make me crazy. 

When I have somebody with me, then I like to carry on conversations and never have any music playing. When it's just Rick and me, we always talk, too, so no music, even on long trips, we manage to find something to talk about.

I think the neatest drives I took alone were when I would go to New York to visit a GF for the weekend. It took me 3 hours, 15 minutes from my house to her house. I'd crank up the CD player in Clarence with a bunch of Aerosmith CDs, throw open the moon roof in the Cruiser, and take off. I loved those trips. But she moved to Texas, so I don't do that trip anymore.

What about you?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always have music in the car. I have Sirius XM. My favorite channel is Hair Nation. 

I rarely have anyone in the passenger seat and when I do it is DD. We do chat but the music stays put. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely listen to music in the car anymore. I find it too distracting. Especially when trying to hold a conversation with someone else.  

However, when commuting on the train, I listen to Pandora and create stations based on my mood at that time.  

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do listen to the radio, but mainly in the morning on my way to work where I could also listen to funny chatty DJ's. I'll listen a little bit at other times, but otherwise I find at least 85% of mainstream music awful and overplayed. Even the old school blend stations can be a tad disappointing. Just the classical music station is the most consistent for me.

So if not the radio (Properly placed/connected and all) I use my phone and listen to my tracks on it. I don't listen to any music though if I am in a busy road situation, I prefer to concentrate safely. 

If I am a passenger it really depends on who I am with!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have the radio on. Sometimes I will pop in a cd, if I am going for a longer ride. 

I found one station which plays tunes form the 80's and 90's.. I listen to that one a lot. 

I did like country, but not the wild country. I am more of a ballad person. I love country oldies, but I do not have Sirius radio, so that is out.

I listen to classical music a lot; sometimes I put some pop music on.

My taste is pretty eclectic. 

When someone is in my car, I just shut off the radio. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like to listen to music in the car. Unless I'm very tired and then I'll put it on to keep me awake. I really don't like having music playing when trying to talk to others in the car. I do like to have a radio on at work for background noise, and I don't mind talking to someone with it on. I don't know what the difference is, maybe because the car is smaller? :dk:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like to listen to music in the car. Unless I'm very tired and then I'll put it on to keep me awake. I really don't like having music playing when trying to talk to others in the car. I do like to have a radio on at work for background noise, and I don't mind talking to someone with it on. I don't know what the difference is, maybe because the car is smaller?
I think, or at least for me, there's too many other things to pay attention to when driving.  

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to listen to the radio but I have a new car and I have not figured out how to work the radio. I don't mind it because sometimes the music gets on my nerves. 

When I'm in the car with someone else I usually try to talk with them. I don't like other peoples style of music.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, why don't you listen to one of the PA public radio stations? Commercial-free.

To answer the question, I never learned to drive. Rarely step into a car.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, or at least for me, there's too many other things to pay attention to when driving.  
Yeah but I don't like to have the radio on when I'm a passenger either :lol3:. Although of course if it's somebody else's car I try not to whine about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CD's, generally, but I keep the volume down to allow for conversation, unless, of course, I'm alone!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got to a point where I can never decide what I want to listen to, so mostly it's just silence. When I'm a passenger, most people always have some kind of music on. I typically don't like it & think, if I was the driver & turned on the music that I like, I think it wouldn't be considerate to my passenger, therefore I keep things silent, but most people don't give a rat's hoot so they do what they want. I usually talk to the driver, even cab drivers, I always talk to.

If I do listen to music I still have a cassette player so I have a lot of tapes in my car.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I've got to a point where I can never decide what I want to listen to, so mostly it's just silence. When I'm a passenger, most people always have some kind of music on. I typically don't like it & think, if I was the driver & turned on the music that I like, I think it wouldn't be considerate to my passenger, therefore I keep things silent, but most people don't give a rat's hoot so they do what they want. I usually talk to the driver, even cab drivers, I always talk to.

If I do listen to music I still have a cassette player so I have a lot of tapes in my car.
One time when we were in Chicago, Rick needed Clarence to go to a meeting. I was to spend the day baking with a friend. He needed the car, so he hired a driver to take me to my friend's house and then he planned to pick me up after his meeting was finished and we were to head on up to Wisconsin. Anyway, the driver comes to the hotel to take me over to my friend's house. He was originally from Syria (this was many years ago) and oh! the conversation that he and I had while he was driving me through Chicago. I loved talking to him and listening to him. He would tell me various things about the buildings that we passed on our way, but he would also talk to me about Syria and foods and their meals and such. It was so fascinating. I'm such a foodie anyway and to hear all these things. I was in the back seat, but I was on the edge of my seat, so that I could talk to him better. I loved it, I just loved that ride. And after it was over and I was at my house condo, he helped me out of the car. I did give him a tip, but I also gave him a hug and I thanked him. I really enjoyed talking with him. 

Usually when I'm a passenger, I would prefer no music. I guess it's because I'm such a talker and I would prefer to talk to somebody. If I'm driving and somebody is with me, I don't have music on, again because I like to talk to people.

I don't listen to PA radio, largely because I'm OK with my iPod at this point. When I had Sirius, I did listen to some of the radio stations that way because they had no commercials. 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's fun talking to cab drivers, most are from somewhere else so it's interesting as you pointed out to hear from them. I can't imagine just sitting in silence. I remember taking a cab when I was in CO to the airport & it was like 4 in the morning & I sat in the passenger seat & we talked & talked the whole way, I don't remember much else, it was dark & the driver was really nice.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to listen to CDs but haven't in a long time. Not sure why. Not a big fan of having conversations in the car so music is fine by me whether I'm the driver or passenger.