Question of the Day, Friday, October 10

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never learned how to drive a stick. . .because I don't know anybody who has one to let me learn on! :lol3: My grandpa used to have a stick shift old pickup truck but my dad said it was so bad it would teach me the wrong things so he wouldn't let me learn on it. Plus my grandpa had a bad temper and if I had run into something he would have blown a gasket at me and then my parents would have gotten mad at him and so on. . .best not to try learning on his vehicle. But yeah, I don't know anybody who has one so :dk:.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know how to drive a car. I got my first motorcycle when I was 17 and upgraded to a bigger bike as soon as I was 18 and got my full licence. I've never needed a car. If I live in a city then I use public transport, if I'm somewhere rural a bike is cheaper to run.

I'm thinking of getting another bike now, but we get so much snow around here in the winter, it might not be a good idea.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Automatic!!  I can't dance let alone shift gears and keep a car moving in the right direction all at the same time!

Seriously; when I was learning to drive my Mom and step-dad had a manual car and a gigantic too many passenger van that was several years older than I was.  Driving lessons ended in tears until a friend of my mother volunteered to teach me in her car.  My current car can do both; but I'm not trying it.  Automatic for me! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned to drive but I'd never drive in this country even if I had.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I originally learned to drive with an automatic, but later learned to drive a stick.  That person had a lot of antique/collector cars, so I learned how to drive cars without power steering and such too.  The most interesting car I ever drove was a 1929 Cord, L-29 Phaeton Convertible Sedan.  The shifter is in the dash and it had cool suicide doors on the front.  This particular person taught me how to parallel park on a steep road with a manual transmission.  Good thing I learned to, there were times I needed to maneuver a vehicle in strange ways!  Such as scooting a horse trailer over on a hill.

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Started with automatic - tried my brother's car with a 3 speed stick on the steering column but the car was ancient and you had to double clutch. Never made it far in the old thing, but did become an expert on how to stall a car. A few years later, a boyfriend taught me how to drive stick and 4x4 on abandoned logging roads in the mountains, but I've only bought second hand automatics. Haven't driven a stick since I borrowed a car 15 years ago. This will change when I trade my 20+ year old Volvo in for a Porsche (wishful thinking).

@peaches08  My father's truck had armstrong steering back in the day. It certainly gave my arms a workout on occasion.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only used automatic. Didn't know they still made the stick. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use them. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I don't know how to drive a car. I got my first motorcycle when I was 17 and upgraded to a bigger bike as soon as I was 18 and got my full licence. I've never needed a car. If I live in a city then I use public transport, if I'm somewhere rural a bike is cheaper to run.

I'm thinking of getting another bike now, but we get so much snow around here in the winter, it might not be a good idea.
Motorcycle only--how do you transport cats?!  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Motorcycle only--how do you transport cats?!  
Mr Husband has a jeep that always has at least one cat carrier in the back, just in case.

One of my neighbours got on the bus with his cat in her carrier the other day and she was so quiet and well behaved. I can't imagine doing anything like that with any of my cats, they wail like banshees every time we put them in a car.