Question of the Day, Friday, November 5

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

When do you turn the heat on in your house? Or when do you turn the AC off?

This year, we got into November, which is unusual for us. Usually it's right around mid-to-late-October.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, with crazy Chicago weather, we have switched between both AC and heat already this fall. I feel like as soon as we say "okay, heat's on," in the fall it gets warm, and if we say "time to turn it off" in the spring we get a late April snowstorm. So we take it day by day!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't turned my heat on in like 3 years 😮 My thermostat never has a temperature reading under 65F. I'm fine with putting on extra layers and the cats have their heating pads.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't turned my heat on in like 3 years 😮 My thermostat never has a temperature reading under 65F. I'm fine with putting on extra layers and the cats have their heating pads.
Do you live in an upstairs apartment? My friend lived in one and never turned her heat on, and sometimes even had to open a window. Her downstairs neighbor must have liked it tropical!

I don't think I made it until November this year, I don't remember the exact day I turned it on but it was a couple weeks ago. And I haven't had to go back to AC, which is what happens most of the time. It's been a very nice fall-ish fall this year, very mild and moderate.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turn on the heat as soon as I get too cold, regardless of the month, and use it as needed until it gets consistently cold. There is no set date that it goes on. We use window ACs, but we leave them in all year. Sometime in the next week, we will winterize them, but we tend to leave them available for us until the second week of November because Ohio is weird and my husband gets hot easily.

Agreeing about a temperature is a whole other issue.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got to November this fall, which was unusual. We had everything shut off for almost a month before that, nice!!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put mine on two days ago but only needed it for an hour. It's been quite mild so far.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be anywhere from late September to late November- it all depends on the weather. This year, we had to turn the heat on briefly in September and again in mid-October before switching over to full time heat in late October. We probably won't need the a/c until next May or June at the earliest.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has been on for about a week now. I personally probably wouldn't have turned it on yet, but my dad is tiling my bathroom for me and said that it needs to be warm to set so he turned it on for me.

I am currently sitting in my office building with the A/C on because they have turned on the radiator heat in the building and it is wayyyyy too hot.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always try to hold out until November to turn on the heat but since the temps got down to the 30's in the morning last week I made an exception. However, I do turn the heat down at night. A/C goes on when I can't keep the windows open.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you live in an upstairs apartment? My friend lived in one and never turned her heat on, and sometimes even had to open a window. Her downstairs neighbor must have liked it tropical!

I live on the third floor of a building. My downstairs neighbor leaves her windows halfway open in the winter, even if the temperature is hovering at 0F:eek2: The upstairs neighbor never has his windows open which I find strange. Maybe he runs his AC all year :dunno:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We have one of those thermostats that “reads” the temp in the house and switches among heating, cooling, and off automatically so I don’t pay much attention. It’s always too warm for me, though, because my husband is always cold and we’ve set it at 73° for the heat to come on and 78° for the A/C. Hot 🥵 sweltering.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been able to turn the AC off in the evenings lately. It's on during the day though. I'll use it less and less until around March when it starts getting warmer again. When it's cool out in the evenings I can leave the sliding glass door open that goes out to the screened in porch out back. The girls can go out back at will. They love that. Especially Sophie. She has her favorite chair by the screen to sit and snoop on the wildlife that's still up.

ETA: I turn the heat on once or twice a year just to warm things up a bit. It never stays on very long

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We kinda go on an as needed basis.There were a few nights in October when it was chilly enough for me to put a sweatshirt on,so the heat went on low...just one heater,though (we have 2).When the doxies are trying to burrow,and the kitties are arguing over who gets what chair with the cozy blankie,and hubby gets his sleep pants out of the closet,it's time for some heat.I still will wear sweats and turn the heat down a bit,which I did today.After dinner the heat went up a couple of notches.We took the ac out of the bedroom the other day and got the storm back on,but the one in the kitchen still needs to come out....maybe this weekend.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I usually turn the heaters on at the beginning of October, but this year we didn't need them until about the 20th. I turn the kotatsu on around mid-December and the cats live under there until the spring.

We don't have an AC. It never gets hot enough to need one up here.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of depends what the weather does. Once it gets down to the 50’s at night for a couple of days, you need heat. Could be be beginning of September or not until mid October. Not unusual in the spring and fall to have to flip between air conditioning and heat. In the summer, air conditioning is also pretty variable. I don’t turn mine on until days are in the 90‘s and the nights down cool down below 70’s.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it starts getting below 70 inside the house. Usually DH will turn it on when he gets up and finds it that cold. This year I turned it on at bedtime.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost always hold out on turning on the heat until the last possible moment, but I ended up turning it on a few weeks ago which is pretty early for me. Inside my house was getting down to 55*F at night, so I figured for the sake of my cats, I would turn it on. The AC was on pretty late for Minnesota this year though. I think I last had it on in early October and then two weeks later I needed the heat on.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a goofy double system of forced air and hydronic (which I designed and which operates off the domestic hot water). My house is pretty well insulated, so the two little hydronic forced air heaters can keep it livable in here down to 40 F. outside or so. Once it gets colder than that, I turn on the main furnace, which I did this week.