Question Of The Day, Friday, November 3

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always loved stuffing, so I made a lot and stuffed part of it in the bird and put the rest in a pan. Now that I don't have a family to cook for, I just get a breast and put the stuffing in a pan.

I always thought "stuffing" and "dressing" were interchangeable, but I usually say "stuffing." My husband's grandmother came from a large family and they always called it "dressing" until one day when a youngster asked all the cooks in the kitchen where the turkey's clothes were. :lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've always called it stuffing. :dunno:

i don't stuff my roast turkey, and i don't bother with baking stuffing on the side/on it's own either. i don't make gravy either. it's just me, one person, so when i roast a turkey it's for sandwiches, in soup, and for making turkey enchiladas. i freeze all of it, in portions, except enough for 3 or 4 days worth of turkey sandwiches.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the last two years I have made bacon and cheese stuffed burgers on Thanksgiving.
I stopped bothering with Thanksgiving when my daughter became part of a couple. Her and her boyfriend drive all over town visiting his family and my son works at Clemson University with people who look after the football team. Often he works on Thanksgiving and eats a lot of food there.
This year it appears that everyone is moving into their own homes so I think it will really just be me and the husband.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I love Stovetop stuffing! Sometimes I buy it and eat it alone as a casserole, lol. I don't like it cooked in the turkey---it gets soggy and gross that way. I do prefer Stovetop; all the homemade stuffing I've had was full of gristle and fat :/. Perhaps I don't know any really good cooks ;). I call it stuffing. . .to me, dressing goes on salads.
Me, too. But, you have to eat it with green peas and mashed potatoes for that mega-carb delight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mom always stuffed her turkeys as did Rick's mother. I stuffed mine for years....it wasn't stuffing if it wasn't in the bird. For the last several years, though, I've done crock pot stuffing, which calls for browned sausage, apples, three kinds of bread (whole wheat, white, and cornbread), broth, eggs, etc. It turns out that it became really popular in the family and that's what I do now. But when we have Thanksgiving at my sister's house, she still stuffs her turkeys. So we have both kinds. And, believe it or not, we usually go through both stuffings! There's hardly any left over!

Whenever we talk about stuffing, I always remember Alton Brown's Good Eats episode where
"Stuffing is Evil!!" :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to stuff our turkeys, but just got sick and tired of the extra cooking time. The sooner we can get dinner on the table, the sooner we can get to the pies! :lol:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to stuff our turkeys, but just got sick and tired of the extra cooking time. The sooner we can get dinner on the table, the sooner we can get to the pies! :lol:
I don't think I had to add extra time when I stuffed under the skin. The fatty area at the breast and the leg joints.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I had to add extra time when I stuffed under the skin. The fatty area at the breast and the leg joints.
I think it depends on the size of the turkey. We used to get really huge turkeys because the guys wanted lots of leftovers to munch on while watching football games and whatnot. So sometimes there could be up to a two hour difference between a stuffed turkey and an unstuffed one. Meanwhile, those pies on the counter kept taunting me...

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the size of the turkey. We used to get really huge turkeys because the guys wanted lots of leftovers to munch on while watching football games and whatnot. So sometimes there could be up to a two hour difference between a stuffed turkey and an unstuffed one. Meanwhile, those pies on the counter kept taunting me...
The extra time is because of stuffing the inner cavity of the turkey. It takes longer to reach the proper temperature at the center(core temp). Try the external method with a chicken and see if it has to cook longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We used to buy the largest turkey we could find, usually about 24 pounds or so. Those days are gone. Our parents have passed and Rick's mom is now in a nursing home. We were going to go to Phila to have Thanksgiving with my niece and her family, but her FIL is in the final stages of heart failure. My sister and I told her to have her in-laws for this Thanksgiving, just because. So I think it may just be Rick and me.....for the first time in, oh geez, I don't know how long! I'm going to have to figure out how to do a feast for only two people. :rolleyes2: That should be interesting.

In fact, I think that, this year, we may just do a turkey breast and let it go at that. Rick prefers the side dishes over the turkey anyway. I just want enough leftovers for a couple turkey sandwiches.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have done a turkey breast when it's been a very small group for Thanksgiving. My mother did one once in the crock pot and it was fantastic!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used to buy the largest turkey we could find, usually about 24 pounds or so. Those days are gone. Our parents have passed and Rick's mom is now in a nursing home. We were going to go to Phila to have Thanksgiving with my niece and her family, but her FIL is in the final stages of heart failure. My sister and I told her to have her in-laws for this Thanksgiving, just because. So I think it may just be Rick and me.....for the first time in, oh geez, I don't know how long! I'm going to have to figure out how to do a feast for only two people. :rolleyes2: That should be interesting.

In fact, I think that, this year, we may just do a turkey breast and let it go at that. Rick prefers the side dishes over the turkey anyway. I just want enough leftovers for a couple turkey sandwiches.
I did the whole big meal for just 3 people for many years. DH would have wept if I hadn't. I asked DD what she would like to have since we will not do the big meal. She doesn't like turkey. Her answer? "I really don't care." So that means that we are having what I want. The problem is that I don't know what I want. :lol:

I will roast a bone in, skin on chicken breast for the kids. They love that. :cloud9:

Lily always knows when I am cooking something for them and she yells at me until she gets it. :please: