Question of the day, Friday May 21st

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't tan and honestly don't think the tanned look is even that attractive.
(especially those that take it too far) I'd prefer not to have skin cancer.

In this part of the world people usually just end up looking disgusting when they try to get tanned, most of the time they just turn red and burn like me. I prefer very pale skin.

I don't like to go to the beach often, I always burn and start feeling sick if I'm out too long on a hot sunny day and may end up having fever the next day even if I've stayed in the shadow and drink lots of water.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

No, I don't stay in the sun. I have a skin condition called vitiligo. It is a loss of skin pigment. If I stay in the sun, I burn and it is very painful. I do try to be in the sun for just a little while each day, but only for a short time. People I know who have sun worshipppers with repeated burns and tans, have bad looking complexions as they age, kind of like an old shoe.
Me too! You're the only person I've ever "met" with vitiligo, besides my mother. My mom started to lose her pigment when she was about 18, and is now nearly uniformly depigmented. I started with my first spots when I was 40, but it has been extremely fast moving for me, and I'm about 1/2 and 1/2, in just 10 years. Before my vitiligo started, I loved to tan. As a teenager, I called it the "backyard baby-oil barbecue."

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the beach but since i don't live near one I only go one or twice a year. I always use sunscreen because i only have two colors pasty or lobster.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two colors--white and burnt. I'm very fair and have never been able to tan. Getting one isn't important to me anymore. My mom had a bout with skin cancer and I'm a little afraid of too much sun. I used to put on self tanners but they made me look like a carrot so i just gave it all up.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to tan ... as long as there is a breeze on me
So the beach or lake is preferred. Sitting out in my backyard is way too hot.

I also enjoy peeling myself after a sunburn
But I think I already got my burn this year and now I'm just adding to the tan. I never end up with a beautiful one like some of my friends though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still haven't answered my question, lol, apparently I forgot

I have been going to the beach and wearing sunscreen spf 75, but not for long periods of time. I also wear sunscreen every single day even if I'm just going about my day, because the sun's uvb rays can cause premature wrinkling too..I want to get tanner, and I just started using a self tanner too to give me a fake tan. I look so much better with a tan. It makes my complexion warm colored, even though when I'm pale I don't have a very warm complexion.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go to the beach, but hope to join a pool for the summer, it will be an indoor pool I don't know of any outdoor pools by me. I stay white!!!! I'm very fair and burn easily so in the summer I always go out with sunblock on. This year I'm trying SPF 70!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't tan; I blister, peel, then freckle.
I don't think the "fake bake" (as my sister calls it) is attractive at all. To me it looks so artificial.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't like to get out in the sun much. I don't like the whole sand and salt water feel at the beach, and I really don't even care for going to the swimming pool because I really don't like stripping down in public. I also don't like the feel and smell of sunscreen. I'll use it if needed, but I prefer to just avoid situations where it's needed altogether. My exposure is typically limited to about 20-30 minutes per day, which is mostly my time walking between my car and various places such as my office and maybe taking a walk at lunchtime.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Do you like to tan in the sun during the summer, when you're at the beach?? Or are you too afraid of the sun's damage?
If you don't tan, do you use self tanners or just stay white like I do
IMO humans weren't made to be hermits or living their whole lives underground. Sun is the most important and quick source of vitamin D, just ten minutes gives us all we need that is easily converted in our body, that is very important. Some people get SAD ( type of seasonal disorder) when they do not have access to sunlight. I love the full sun, the heat, beaches, pools, but believe it is good in small spurts, moderation in other words. I don't tan well so am careful, I don't use self tanners.