question of the day Friday may 19th

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
hello my TCS family ! hope your having a wonderful day ....
Todays question is do you like sci-fi books and what are some authors that you enjoy in this genre?
for me its stephen king mostly

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Isaac Asimov will always be the #1 Sci-Fi author, at least in my book.
I'm also a fan of Frank Herbert and Ray Bradbury.
Anne McCaffrey and the Pern series.
Alan Dean Foster and the Spellsinger series.
I loved Andy Weir's The Martian

I really like Clive Cussler's many series, although he's more techno-thriller than sci-fi
And, of course, Stephen King, although he's more horror, I guess. Still a great author. He has his own bookcase in the Shed!

I need to check out more recent sci-fi writers.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
not really into sci-fi but i liked Fahrenheit 451, the hunger games, the handmaiden's tale

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boundary between sci-fi and fantasy can be confusing. Many of the authors already mentioned are classic. Along with them and edging somewhat nearer to today how about Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, William Gibson, David Brin. More towards fantasy I really enjoy Ursula Vernon and also her work as T. Kingfisher, and especially some but not all of Naomi Novik - Spinning Silver and Uprooted are excellent..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don’t. :lol: I’ve found some of my favorite authors by freebies on Amazon. So I tried one once that had good reviews. Nope! Not for me.:dunno: My DD might enjoy it a bit. She likes some suspense and fantasy so I wouldn’t be surprised if she enjoys it. Now if only authors for her age would focus on the story instead of pushing envelopes with graphic content… But that’s another topic.:rolleyes2::hmmm:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
if you were to recommend a new author for me who would you pick ? i have clive cussler , anne mccaffrey and stephen king here at my house to read so far

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. I guess I prefer my sci fi light-hearted

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan of the 'classic' science fiction; that of Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury- I liked the Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 best, Jules Verne, Aldous Huxley, and H.G. Wells. The newer stuff doesn't really do anything for me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read a few Stephen King books but I'm pretty sure he's considered horror and not sci fi. DH loved his books and so does DD. She happily took his collection with her when she moved out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Michael Crichton considered sci-fi? I like his books (mostly). They have all the dull details my brain likes, lol. I also enjoy Clive Cussler.

But mostly I don't care for fantasy or sci-fi.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though I liked Star Trek and all of it's various incarnations I am not a fan of Sci-Fi books.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
These days I like science. Highly recommend Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s podcasts Cosmic Queries b/c they are so hilarious, but more importantly, I actually understand what he’s saying.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to like the Pern series when I was younger, but went off them eventually. These days the only fantasy books I still read are the Discworld ones. Was never into hard SF. Tried Dune and Foundation in recent years and nearly died of boredom.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Sci-Fi, but mostly the classic stuff like Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein. It seems the more modern Sci-fi is all about post apocalyptic Earth, and I prefer the exploration of other planets.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't enjoy most sci-fi. The type of sci-fi books I do like are ones that are sort of realistic, like the world is almost exactly the same but there are a few things that make it sci-fi like time travel or telepathy. A few of my favorite books are actually ones involving time travel or immortal people. The sci-fi lite books I've enjoyed include: Crosstalk by Connie Willis, How To Stop Time by Matt Haig, The Changeling by Victor Lavalle, The Coincidence Makers by Yoav Blum, Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen, Recursion by Blake Crouch, The Warehouse by Rob Hart, and a few kids and young adult series I've enjoyed are the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and City of Ghosts series by Victoria Schwab.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do. Although I consider Stephen King more of a horror writer, to be honest (and a good one!!!). I enjoy Mercedes Lackey, Issac Asimov, MOST of Robert Heinlein, and ALL of the Dune series, both those written by Frank Herbert and those written by his son, Brian and Kevin J. Anderson. I recently collected all but the three most recent books, about Leo Atredies, Jessica Atredies, and Paul Atredies, and read them in chronological order, taking me through 14,000 years of the history of the "Duneiverse." It was fascinating. Frank Herbert was a universe builder, in the same way that JRR Tolkien was with his Hobbit cycle, and LOTR. I really admire both men. I think Mr. Tolkien has the edge, simply because he developed more than one language in the process.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the classics although Science Fantasy is preferred genre .. Anne McCaffrey is a favourite..and the Thomas Convenant series was great..the hero was such a spineless, whining horrible person and often caused me to throw a book across the room but you couldnt put the books down.