Question of the Day, Friday, March 4

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Its been a while; which is a real shame!! I've tried to use the library as an incentive to get DS to get his school work done and that hasn't worked. Both kids enjoy our time there though. I think the last time we went was so DD could work on a research project. Covid definitely has not helped matters. Most of the homeschool programs they had at the libraries were stopped and now that some are back; my kids aren't both in the right age group for them.

Because we homeschool I can check out as many books as any other teacher in the state. I think it's something like 20 at a time. But that's too risky here. I wouldn't want to risk losing anything. I didn't have a lot of success figuring out the ebooks options. It just isn't a smooth operating system I guess. And I was only reading on my phone. DD was able to use a couple on the laptop for her project at least. They do limit how many people can check out an ebook at any one time.

I was hoping to find some audio books but the one I wanted they didn't have. I don't think we'd use an Audible subscription enough to justify the cost.
Does your library use the Libby app? If so, you can put a “hold” on an audiobook that you want to read. Then you get on the list and they notify you when it’s yours to download. They usually give you an estimate of how long that will take but it is often faster than their estimate.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

When is the last time you were at your library? Do you hit the library regularly? How many books can you take out of your library at one time?

Largely bc of the pandemic, the last time we were physically at our library was when Rick wanted a library card. His mom's card had to renewed and they outright refused to do it because she no longer lived in our county. We tried to explain that she was in a nursing facility; they didn't care. There was a whole process we had to go through in order to get her card renewed and the whole thing was ridiculous. They wanted us to go to the other county for her library card. Seriously? But we needed a way for me to put library books on her Kindle and I couldn't use my card to do it because I use my card all the time. So we went in, Rick got a card and I use his card to put books on her Kindle. That was several months ago. On the rare occasion that he wants a book, I'll get it for him on my card and he can use my iPad to read. That puts my iPad out of commission for me as he is a slower reader than I am. Convoluted, isn't it?

If I physically go to our library, I can take out as many books as I want. And I've been known to take out as many as 15=20 books at a time. I used to walk over from work during lunch with my library sacks and walk back with full sacks. And get them read, especially when Rick was in Oregon for a week. Those days are gone. I now hit our library virtually. And I can only take out 5 ebooks for two weeks. I can have 5 ebooks on Hold at any given time. So I always have 5 ebooks on my Libby app, along with 5 ebooks on Hold.

What about you? Do you use your library?
We use it weekly and always have out tons of books. Homeschooling. :)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in college was the last time. I loved going to the Library, to see a wide range of books in all fields. It was my place of comfort, of quietness. The library where I frequented at was facing a huge park, and when the sun sets I could see different hues outside through the window, intensifying the beauty of the perfectly manicured green grass.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I went a few times last year, but it was just to donate books.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never physically go to the library, but I borrow e-books off their website all the time.

I have a ton of books on my Kindle Fire that I need to read. I use Bookbub to get free ones.
Since you have a Fire, and read the free Bookbub books, maybe you might want to join our book club in April when we read a book that's currently free via Bookbub. April 2022 Book of the Month Club - Louisiana Longshot

I was hoping to find some audio books but the one I wanted they didn't have. I don't think we'd use an Audible subscription enough to justify the cost.
Check and see if your library is affiliated with Hoopla, as they also have audio books.
www.hoopladigital.com/browse/audiobook

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We’ve moved a lot so I’ve kept my library cards from two states plus my current state. I check out everything online using Overdrive and read on my iPad. With three library cards, I can check out a total of 41 books. :) And then there’s also Hoopla for all three. Two or three times a year, I can’t find a book I want from among the e-books so I’ll make a quick trip to the bricks and mortar library.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work for the library until the pandemic hit and got reassigned to a different department and ended up staying permanently. Anyway, I go to the library 2 to 3 times a month. I dropped a book off today but I actually went inside yesterday to pick up some DVDs I had on hold. My library system allows 50 items to be checked out a time and we had many patrons who reached that limit frequently. We are able to put 50 items on hold, but to me that is not enough. I'm rarely going to check out that much, but I want to be put holds on books with long waitlists so eventually I can get it, but I always max out the 50 holds and I have to prioritize books I want right now versus later.