Question Of The Day, Friday, March 16

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Let's talk about wallpaper. Do you have wallpaper in your home? Where? Do you like wallpaper or do you prefer paint? How about a wallpaper border? Or something else? What's your choice?

When we first built our house (1985), we had papered the kitchen, the bathroom, and our son's bedroom (now the computer room). We eventually got rid of all the wallpaper and all the rooms now are painted.

But I like wallpaper. My sister lives in an early-1800's three-story house and she has wallpaper in her living room and throughout the main hallways. Her third floor has paper in the main bedroom, but the other rooms are painted. It's lovely. She does her own painting and papering and she is very skilled. She also does stenciling here and there, above the tv in their kitchen and on the wall of her bathtub. That wall says "Sometimes I drink wine while in the bathtub because I can't drink it in the shower". :)

Do you prefer paper or paint?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Paint- mainly because peeling wallpaper off to change is a lot of work! It’s easy to touch up scuff marks with paint too

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do all my own papering, have for years. I love the statement one dramatic wall can make. I actually have several papered ceilings, now THAT is one hard project and I actually had my husband build me some crutches at ceiling height to help me hold up one end while I'm smoothing and matching. My kitchen and bathroom have papered textured ceilings in a beautiful large square design, then painted high gloss white, everyone thinks they are tin ceilings. One bedroom has a ceiling in a beautiful bronze color, looks very dramatic. It is a job I love because it is so beautiful when done, but actually doing it with the paste getting everywhere, including all over me, is very frustrating to say the least. My cats hide and my husband leaves the house, it's one job that is worth the results but getting there is one hard road! :censored:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I would love to see some pictures of your ceilings, if you wouldn't mind showing them. I think they would look fantastic. I can imagine the chore it was to get them done, but wow di and bob di and bob ! I bet they're just gorgeous.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only wall paper I have is a rooster border that goes around the backsplash in my kitchen. I did have a beautiful wall papered living room with border around the ceiling in my old house. So I have paint everywhere now in my house. It has held up well. Nothing has been repainted since we built the house in '02.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My current home has no wallpaper at all. Most of the walls are hand done plaster. It's an old home and I doubt paper would even apply well as the walls all have a raised texture.
I like wallpaper but not for this house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like wallpaper in general. It's usually too busy in pattern and hard to clean. And it's all fine and dandy when it looks good, but when it gets old and ratty and you have to take if off. . .ugh. Might as well knock down the whole house ;). I do like the raised pattern stuff that you paint over, that's all right.

There's a local house that was for sale about a year ago. I looked at the realtor pictures online, and yikes! There is definitely such a thing as too much wallpaper! I feel bad for the people who bought it. One room was done entirely in a loud bright large rose pattern. It made me want to go blind just looking at a picture, lol.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful ceilings, di and bob di and bob ! They look like those old tin ceilings.

I think both paint and paper have their places, but I have tended to use more paint than paper in recent years. I have a subtle vertical cream stripe with a border in one bathroom and a high border in the kitchen, but the rest of the rooms are painted. You are so right about removing wallpaper - I've stripped miles and miles of it, and it's a pain.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob -- those ceilings are simply gorgeous!! :redheartpump: and they do look like they're tin, especially the one painted white.

i'd prefer all the walls in my house be painted. at the moment, there's wallpaper on the downstairs hallway walls as well as much of the master bedroom walls.

i really like the look of painted walls, with natural type 'features' added to them. like a feature wall of varying shades of stained reclaimed wood for a bedroom, a hammered copper feature wall for the kitchen, and the stained wood planks feature wall i installed in the living room. i think natural type 'features' bring a...warmth to rooms and a home.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Growing up,my parents upholstered our bedrooms with thick cotton batting and cloth they let us pick out. It looked super cool to a 12 year old.

It was only later in life that I realised they were sound proofing our rooms. My friends always thought it looked like the padded walls of an asylum. No wonder I could never get any girls to play "doctor" with me.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have wallpaper in two bedrooms and in the sitting room.
In my room I have white wallpaper with light blue birds on it and my mother's wallpaper is floral. In the living room we have white wallpaper.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current home has no wallpaper at all. Most of the walls are hand done plaster. It's an old home and I doubt paper would even apply well as the walls all have a raised texture.
I like wallpaper but not for this house.
Buddy would get mad at me and run over to the wallpaper in the living room and claw the heck out of it. Buddy is gone now and one of these days I am going to have to replace the wallpaper.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago we moved into a condo that had grasscloth wallpaper. :rolleyes: Needless to say we removed it but it was a giant headache and awful mess. In our present home there is wallpaper in the kitchen, half-bath and hallway. I took down wallpaper in one of our daughter's bedrooms and that was enough hard labor for me. If I had it to do over I would only use paint and maybe wainscoting in one of the rooms.

However, the ceiling paper by di and bob di and bob is phenomenal. How much do you charge? ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We paint here. DH and I love to paint together. I've got this idea in my head for our master bedroom and it would require papering one wall. But we won't be doing that anytime soon.

Paint is easier to change and easier to find exactly the shade I'm looking for. I'd have to hire someone to do wallpaper.