Question of the Day, Friday, March 10

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember rotary phones. I remember the telephone company wanted to charge more when the touch-tone phones were introduced, so we set the touch-tone phones to a "click" instead of tones.

I still remember many telephone numbers. I know my mother's, my sisters, my vet, and some of my doctors numbers. I remember many of the phone numbers I've had over the years.

I've also had to scratch my head for some of the identity verification questions. One asked me where I used to live and gave me choices of 1573 14th St or at 1473 17th St with two other answers. I lived somewhere with a similar address more than 30 years ago and for only one year. I got that one wrong.

If I call people regularly, I try to dial the number instead of using the contacts.

If I communicate with someone mostly by text message, I don't have a clue what their numbers are

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son says that his 10-year-old son doesn't believe there used to be phones wired to the wall and only one or two in the house. Times have certainly changed. I remember rotary phones, and the number of ours when I was growing up - JAckson 8-2226. I even remember when AT&T (the only phone company) added the "8" to the number. That number made for some interesting calls as a local obstetrician's number was JAckson 8-2220. On those old rotary phones, the 6 had MNO underneath it, and the 0 was for the Operator. Many poor women in labor fruitlessly dialed our number thinking the 0 was on the MNO slot and got us instead. Dad finally changed the number in the '80s.

Currently, I only remember my landline and sometimes my cell phone numbers. I get Yellow Pages directories, but I don't believe I get people directories at all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I think of a rotary phone I think of getting my finger stuck in the hole as a kid. 
  There are some pretty old phones at my Grandparent's house; but no rotary ones left!  

I remember the numbers of the people I call most frequently.  It's probably only because I have to put them on paperwork; like medical emergency sheets and things of that nature.  Any newer numbers I don't think I know.  Most of the people I talk to regularly have had the same number for years; whether it's a landline or a cell. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I remember my own phone number, because I have to write it out on the tags every time I get any of the cats a new collar, order anything online, or post anything overseas. I can't remember anyone else's though.

Not much use really, is it?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always had a phone, but I remember my grandmother's candlestick phone, which was like this, but had a hand crank to call the operator instead of a rotary dial.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when we had no phone of any kind!
You know, my grandmother never had a phone. Not that I can ever recall.  I can remember neighbors coming into the house and saying, "Florence, so-and-so will be stopping in this afternoon; she just called." Grandma would thank whoever it was and send her home with a plate of cookies or a loaf of bread.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the rotary and phone lines we had when I was a kid. I remember the phone numbers from when I was a kid and my work phone numbers but I have trouble trying to remember my own phone now. I don't have a cell phone. My mother would never listen in on the party line and she would not let us kids do it either.

Muffy