Question Of The Day, Friday, June 9

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :clap: Now I'm looking forward to 3:00!

Let's talk about vet visits. How often do you take your cat to the vet? Every year? Every six months? When there's a problem?

Ms. Pepe, our geriatric kitty and the last of the original RugCats, goes about every 3-4 months, just to make sure she's doing OK at 21 years old. The rest of the gang goes for vet visits annually; they're all fairly young snots at six years old; when they get to be around 10 or so, then we'll start taking them every six months. Amber Louise goes when Rick can catch her (which comes out to about every two years or so). The Beast goes in every year.

Since the cats are no longer kittens, the only vaccine they get is rabies. That's it. We always did the series of kitten shots, but when they were done, we didn't do anything else other than rabies. (I wouldn't even do that, to be honest, but it's a PA law. And just in case, if they did get outside, it's best to be safe, I guess.)

What about your cat clan?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We take our cat(s) in for an annual exam especially if they are elderly but go to the vet sooner if we notice a problem. Sometimes I will call with a question if I can avoid taking our cat in for a vet check because it stresses him out and a phone call is a lot gentler on the pocket book. :wink:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All my cats are indoor only. So they see the vet every 3 years, when it is time for the rabies shot- state law requires that. Otherwise, they go if there is a problem.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once a year and definitely if a cat is obviously sick. For minor thngs I just email the vet with pictures or a video and most of the time the vet just responds back with his opinion, no appointment needed.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ideally once a year, though it usually works out to every 18 months, and sooner if there is a problem.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take mine in once a year for a wellness check and vaccinations. If they get sick, I take them in sooner. Mingo had nausea about a year ago that turned into a URI that took three weeks to recover from. That was scary.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I consider an annual wellness check with any needed booster shots a must for a young or adult cat, with biannual visits for healthy seniors. Generally I err on the side of caution and make a vet appointment as soon as I think anything can possibly be amiss.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It used to be every 3-4 months it seemed. always someone was sick. Now that I know better what I am doing-we only go for yearly and if someone is sick more than a cold or something I can't treat at home.

Now that Honeybee has stabilized on her inhalers we only go once a year to renew meds. Pumps should every 6 months now that she's 14 but I haven't noticed anything different.

Often I call and ask questions if something comes up=but with the aid of medications they are doing good. My angel Floey used to be a bear to take in so it was only once a year. Once my work situation stabilizes by August then we will do the yearly exams for both girls. Right now everyone is doing well.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 8 inside former ferals and I took them to the vet whenever it was necessary. They had dental problems and they all had to have their teeth cleaned once or twice a year. Two of them had leukemia and they all seemed to get UTI even though I kept their litter boxes as clean as I could. They got the 1 year rabies vaccine, distemper and the leukemia vaccine every year. The two that had leukemia and the ones that got kidney disease needed fluid. I could not do it so I had to take them to the vet two or 3 times a week to get the fluid. That is the main reason I won't get anymore cats. I can't physically do that anymore. It was very, very difficult for me to get them in a carrier and get them to a vet. In 2013 when I had 5 cats left my vet bill added up to $10,000 for the whole year. It was nothing major, just minor stuff.

Muffy

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once a year, but two years ago I took him for an extra visit because of a peculiar festering wound.

Though, last August I got irritated with the vet. They say that cats only need the distemper vaccine once every third year, and quite a few experts think it is downright harmful to give it more often. I said this to the vet, and she said 'yes, well, maybe', but she would have to give him a shot against calicivirus anyway, and the one she had also included the distemper vaccine. :evilgrin:

So maybe I drag my feet on the next annual exam. However, I think my cat needs a dental, so I'll probably go there anyway.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every year, unless there's a problem. Licensing requires they're kept up to date on shots, but we'd take them in annually anyway.

ReallySleepy ReallySleepy , I hadn't heard the 3 year thing about distemper - I'll have DH ask next time he takes the cats in.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My IBD kitty has been going every six months since he was 7 1/2. He has had a visit here and there in addition to those checks for different reasons. Both kitties are seniors now, he is 14 and Alice turns 14 in August, so both kitties go every six months now.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Casper goes twice a year, he's a senior. Cocoa once a year.
Although Casper is there much more as he has chronic kidney disease and needs more monitoring now. I'd say at least quarterly and more if any problems crop up.
Cocoa has been quite healthy so far. Only once was brought in for anything other than her wellness exam.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As most of mine are semi-feral and need to be trapped to get them to the vet, so I only take them if they seem unwell.

That doesn't mean we spend any less time at the vets than anyone else. Already this year Forest has had a trip to the vet for his annual Lion Cut, Susy got taken in because she was over grooming (She's on mood stabilizers now, she like a different cat) Chicken had to go once for an injured leg when she fell out of a tree and once for emergency care when she stopped eating. Last week Mia developed a gum infection and is now on antibiotics and something to settle her stomach.

I think I'm helping to put my vet's kids through college.

:lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always take my three for their annual physicals. of course, i'll also take them to see the vet if anything comes up. our Dude could go every six months, to have his teeth looked at -- he's been diagnosed with FORLs. the vet and i have discussed this and we agree that an every 6 months check would be good, but she's not 'recommending' it at this time.

my three are young: Dude is 5 years old now, and DeeDee and Punky will be 2 years old in August.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet makes an annual home visit for my 2. She doesn't want to stress Noodles' heart by taking her in; so I'm glad they offer home visits. They just had one a week ago. Our vet is great and so is the tech that comes with her.

I do bring Mooch in for blood work; but otherwise it's "as needed." They want to do bloodwork on Noodles; but she wouldn't cooperate even here. :doh:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Annually-ish. Sometimes it goes a bit over. She's disgustingly healthy, and NEVER goes out, so I don't worry if we're 14-15 months.