Question Of The Day, Friday, June 28

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

We've been eating a lot of salads lately; right now I'm on a coleslaw kick, but I pretty much like any salad. As long as it doesn't have olives or anchovies, I'm good to go. My favorite salad is a good Caesar salad. I love a good French or Thousand Island dressing, but I also enjoy a smoky blue cheese dressing. Pass the croutons, please. Yum

What's your favorite salad? What do you not want on your salad? And what's your favorite dressing? Are there any dressings that you simply will not eat?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Classic Caesar, made table-side (anchovies are in this, hee)
Blue cheese is my fave dressing
Vinaigrette
No onions on my salad

I like dressings that are sold on the produce isle or homemade.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's gotta have crutons... I think that's how you spell it. The flavoured dry bread. :oops:

I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes but if they are those little ones, I will eat them. Love those.

I don't know much about the vegetable part? I guess, if it's good salad, I'll eat it.

Haven't had much salad lately because it seems there is an e-coli or lusteria outbreak every few months. Makes buying salad kinda risky because you never know then they'll say, "THAT BRAND HAS BEEN RECALLED! DON'T EAT IT!"

Oh! Dressings... I don't know. I like plain old vinegar and salt sometimes. Sometimes I want a little oregano.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently on a romaine salad mix kick, with just a brand name French dressing. I also like spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, almonds and poppy seed dressing. I've also done spinach salad with orange segments on top, with a homemade orange juice/vinegar dressing.

Haven't had much salad lately because it seems there is an e-coli or lusteria outbreak every few months. Makes buying salad kinda risky because you never know then they'll say, "THAT BRAND HAS BEEN RECALLED! DON'T EAT IT!"
It's depressing, isn't it. :( For a while I was washing "pre-washed" salads before I ate it, but I've relaxed my worry a bit, and gone back to trusting/hoping that the pre-washed salads are safe to eat. :crossfingers:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's depressing, isn't it. :( For a while I was washing "pre-washed" salads before I ate it, but I've relaxed my worry a bit, and gone back to trusting/hoping that the pre-washed salads are safe to eat. :crossfingers:
I got really sick once from not washing. I thought I was going to die. So, I just stay away from fruits and salads nowadays.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like a salad with romaine and a mix of most of the traditional vegetables that go in a salad. I too like the little grape tomatoes with the tomatoes that are normally in the produce section of the supermarket they are the only ones that have any flavor. I don't add olives of any kind to anything.

I go back and forth between blue cheese dressing and a California or Honey French, some brands call it Catalina. I am not a big fan of Italian except the house dressing at Olive Garden. I have tried their bottled dressing that they sell in the supermarket but it isn't the same.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Caesar salad, especially with pieces of chicken or salmon. I also enjoy blue cheese dressing. I absolutely loathe Thousand Island :barfgreen:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Recently found a weird dressing, southwest salad dressing- it's ranch dressing, mayo and salsa. Wow! I discovered it at Cumbies-they had this Southwestern Chicken salad and decided to try it-and it's now my favorite.
Lettuce, Spiced diced chicken, corn, black beans, corn chip strips, cheese and I add broccoli, carrots and green olives then load the dressing. It's really good!
I normally just like Greek dressing and Caesar dressing.
I like most veggies and like a salad that's everything except the kitchen sink.
Which reminds me I have some spinach to use up tonight-love salad on a hot day. We always have some fresh produce but most of time it ends up in the compost bin due to Mr. Junk food lover refusing to eat. :rolleyes3:

I absolutely HATE mushy tomatoes and Avocado :barfgreen: :barf:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer a chopped salad usually with red & green peppers, red onions, jicama, tomatoes, beets, carrots, asparagus, avocado, goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette dressing :yummy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is tossed salad with all the fixings. No meat, but all the veggies, croutons, dried cranberries, egg, blue cheese crumbles, etc.
For dressings I like Thousand Island, Russian, or Ken's Country French (Red French)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hubby has a garden and a greenhouse, with all sorts of lettuce types, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, peppers, etc.. We eat some kind of fresh salad every day, so I just concentrate on variety, including all sorts of dressings. I suppose ranch is my favorite.
Yum, fresh veggies from the garden, sounds delicious.

Winchester Winchester No olives? :noway: I love them. They go on all my salads, along with beets, corn, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, spinach or arugula, carrots, maybe a little bit of lettuce. :lol:

This pomegranate vinaigrette is my favorite, and I like blue cheese, too. :yummy:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is probably a good antipasto. One of the local Italian places has the best; with fresh mozzarella and their house dressing. They serve it with fresh bread too. Sometimes I just order that as my meal. :yummy: (Right now I wish it was closer to my house. :lol:)

In general I like pretty much all salads except "watergate salad" and pretzel salad. Oh; no "weedwacker salads" either. :barfgreen: Thank you to whoever here got me calling them that. DH and DD love the spring mix lettuce blends but yuck. :barfgreen:

I could really go for homemade potato and chicken salad right now. :yummy:

I usually go for vinaigrette dressings; homemade is the best. But I like most dressings. French is probably my least favorite on a salad.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yum, fresh veggies from the garden, sounds delicious.

Winchester Winchester No olives? :noway: I love them. They go on all my salads, along with beets, corn, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, spinach or arugula, carrots, maybe a little bit of lettuce. :lol:

This pomegranate vinaigrette is my favorite, and I like blue cheese, too. :yummy:
forgot I LOVE pickled beets!! In the salad or by themselves!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I eat out, I like a fancy salad! All the trimmings. When I have a salad at home, I'm lazy and don't want to cut up a bunch of stuff. So it's usually just packaged spring mix and possibly a handful of shredded cheese and/or bacon bits or whatever is easily available.

My favorite dressing is Goddess (not Green Goddess. Annies and Trader Joe's have it; it's tahini-based). Also a good bleu cheese, but that's hard to find (I found a restaurant-grade dressing at Sam's Club and it's perfect!).

I don't like sweet dressings but I'll still eat them if that's what's available. I don't think there are any I really hate.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love caesar salad but No. Anchovies. Ever. There were none in the original recipe aside from what was in the Worcestershire sauce.
The "Original" Caesar Salad Recipe - The Three Tomatoes

I love spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. Yum. I also like the wedge salads that steakhouses have with bleu cheese dressing.

I'm not a fan of sweet dressings. I like ranch but do not like any shelf stable dressings. They always taste off. I like the ones from the produce aisle like Marie's, etc.

A good homemade vinaigrette is always welcome. I use Good Seasons dressings that you make yourself and experiment with different vinegars.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My all time favorite salad is one they sell at Friday’s restaurant. Pecan crusted chicken in a salad of greens, dried cranberries, pecans and mandarin oranges with a balsamic vinegar dressing. They do add in blue cheese (yuck) so I always have them hold it.

Easy enough to make a similar salad at home with Brianna’s balsamic dressing. I love this dressing and most as long as it doesn’t have stinky cheese in it.