Question Of The Day, Friday, July 7

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :dance:I'm ready for the weekend.

I live for Fridays. I live for weekends. I suppose that will change once Rick and I retire and we're home throughout the week, but for now, it seems that any major shopping ventures or any home or yard project must be done on the weekend, unless we take vacation days to do things. And besides, even a bad weekend spent in the house because it's raining is better than working any time; at least that's how I feel.

How do you feel about Fridays and the weekend? Are you like me, just waiting for the weekend to roll around? Or are you retired and every day is a weekend? And if you are, lucky you! :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have mixed feelings about Fridays. On one hand it means being able to mentally relax after the work week. But it also comes with errand lists. Nothing gets done at home Monday to Friday, although it's summer and Tom is out of school until September so he keeps up on daily house tasks like laundry and dishes. But there's always a list of other things which need to be done like grocery shopping which always sucks up too much time.

I'm about 7-9 years away from retirement (we'll see how long I care to commute into NYC by then) and I can not wait to have no set schedules. I suspect that we'll be a lot more social by then and get a lot more done.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Or are you retired and every day is a weekend? And if you are, lucky you! :)
I am recently retired but cannot afford the luxury of no income so work part-time at my former job. I do however feel very fortunate because I worked in education and substitute teach at the same school. I am also just as busy as when I worked and sometimes over schedule myself between volunteering, exercise classes, appointments, etc. One of the best parts of being retired besides setting my own schedule is, of course, spending more time with Carleton.:creampersian:

After all the years of working full-time it is still ingrained in me to dread Sunday evening when I knew the weekend was over. I don't like to take subbing jobs on a Monday for that reason. :wink:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm retired so every day is the weekend for me. I used to look forward for the weekend because it meant two days away from work. I still can't believe I don't ever have to go to work again. EVER. It's the best feeling in the world for me.

Muffy

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I retired, too, so the weekends are time to finish chores I started during the week. I look forward to outside activities, too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to work Tuesday through Saturday so my Saturday was my Friday and Sunday and Monday was my weekend. Before that I had a variable schedule and my days off could be anywhere in the mix. The fun times would be when I got off at 3am on Monday morning and the Monday was technically my day off before going back to work on Tuesday at 6am. So less than 24 hours off. Yay.

Now that I am back on a standard Monday through Friday work schedule it is kinda nice. It was nice having odd days off because when you want to go to the beach or a museum there were no crowds. But on the reverse things like fairs happen on weekends or all your friends have time off when you are working. My weekends are usually one day of fun and one day of errands/chores now.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Half the time I don't even know what day of the week it is. Like today..I couldn't remember if it was Thursday or Friday. Due to normally working most days until recently. I don't really mind working. In fact I feel more comfortable at work than I do at home. I know what's expected of me and when meal times are so I am not munching away at odd hours like I do when I am home.

I have many years to go until retiring but my goal was to work until I turn 55 but now that I am getting closer to that-I don't think I will like not working. I guess I am torn about that. Seems my family is mostly coworkers and we have a good time when we get together even if the company drives us nuts with stupidity like they did this year..it's going to take me getting used to having weekends off when it's not unusual for me to work 4 or 5 weeks in a row....like a fish out of water.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A couple more decades before I can retire, I'm afraid.

:sniffle:

I love Fridays. I only get one day off a week and Friday is it. Sometimes it's my Big Clean day, but if I spend half the day cleaning I make sure I do something fun in the afternoon or evening.

Otherwise I spend the whole day hiking or horse riding or going to art galleries.

Saturday and Sunday are my busy days, I usually work 10 to 6. I'm not too thrilled about having to work all day, but I do make quite a bit of money over the weekend.

:seesaw:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I work Sunday through Thursday, so Thursday is more like my Friday. But now my job is done for the summer on Sundays so I kind of have a 3 day weekend until September. Usually Friday is clean day, and thursday is lay on the couch and watch tv all night day. And Saturday is going out day to do things.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really really like being a stay-at-home mom; although homeschooling does keep me more busy than life was before the kids hit school age. But I like the weekends because DH is home.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't work, but every day isn't the weekend because Aaron isn't home. I do most of my errands, appointments, etc during the week because it is too busy on the weekends. Home projects that I don't or can't do by myself are still saved for the weekends when he is home. I have spend the past few days edging, weeding, trimming some of the gardens and today we will both try to get mulch spread on all of what I did.

Since he works and I don't, I do the bulk of the house and yard work (I don't mow the grass though). That's my "job"

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live for Fridays. Fridays at 2:30. That's when I get out of work. Love Saturday. Sunday? Meh. It means Monday's coming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't work, but every day isn't the weekend because Aaron isn't home. I do most of my errands, appointments, etc during the week because it is too busy on the weekends. Home projects that I don't or can't do by myself are still saved for the weekends when he is home. I have spend the past few days edging, weeding, trimming some of the gardens and today we will both try to get mulch spread on all of what I did.

Since he works and I don't, I do the bulk of the house and yard work (I don't mow the grass though). That's my "job"
Many years ago, I took a temporary voluntary lay-off at the paper plant where I worked. Things were very slow, so management asked for workers to volunteer to get laid-off for about two months. It was for July and August, summer months/swimming pool months, our son was out of college by then, and I knew I'd receive a good unemployment check. So I jumped at it.

For those two months, Rick could come home and do absolutely nothing. I had it all done. House work, laundry, yard work, everything done. I figured if I wasn't working, then the house and yard became my job.

It worked out so well! I was so glad to be home, not working a swing-shift. Rick was glad that I was home and he was glad that he didn't have much to do, other than his projects around the house that he was working on. And because I got so much done, he managed to get more projects done, too. We really hated for me to have to go back to work after the two months were up.

I agree with Kat0121 Kat0121 about Sundays, particularly Sunday nights. By then, I'm starting to think about the coming work week, what I want to get done that week, what meetings are going on, all that good stuff. And it's downright depressing sometimes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Retired. Actually, although I love having my time to myself, I kinda miss the anticipation of those lovely days off.