Question Of The Day, Friday, July 28

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: and Happy Friday! :dazzler:

Easy (I hope) question this morning: What's your favorite summer fruit?

I love peaches, nectarines, and plums. Lately I've been on a fruit kick and have been buying a small container of mixed fruits: watermelon and cantaloupe chunks, some pineapple, a few strawberries, etc for my lunch. And then I add a few blueberries to the mix. No dressing, no yogurt. Just the fruit. Sometimes I'll buy a honeydew. Banshee, my :rbheart: :redheartpump:, and I used to share cantaloupe; that girl dearly loved her cantaloupe. I've always loved fruit.

What about you? Do you have a favorite fruit that you can get during the summer season?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This is tough for me since I love fruit, especially summer fruit. I would probably have to say berries, e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. They go well in a mixed berry pie too. :wink:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Really sweet, crisp, juicy watermelon. Not those bland, mushy seedless ones. The huge one-feeds-a-family-of-twelve ones. Preferably bought from a truck parked by the side of the road where the guy has one cut up so you can taste it. Then chilled icy-cold. Maybe sprinkled with a little salt.

Pecos cantaloupe, again not from the store. Wonderful wedges, preferably peeled. Maybe a little pepper.

Small, sweet strawberries, not those huge, hollow styrofoam ones sold at the store. Fresh from the field but picked by someone else.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
don't have a favorite-I like those containers of cut fruit. Honeybee loves green melon. she licks the juice off it..but then again she loves water and licks water drops off the side of an ice cold water bottle.

I remember eating peaches fresh off the tree as a teen...any fruit is good-pineapple is my fav no matter what time of year it is.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Really sweet, crisp, juicy watermelon. Not those bland, mushy seedless ones. The huge one-feeds-a-family-of-twelve ones. Preferably bought from a truck parked by the side of the road where the guy has one cut up so you can taste it. Then chilled icy-cold. Maybe sprinkled with a little salt.

Pecos cantaloupe, again not from the store. Wonderful wedges, preferably peeled. Maybe a little pepper.

Small, sweet strawberries, not those huge, hollow styrofoam ones sold at the store. Fresh from the field but picked by someone else.
I agree with pretty much all of this exactly. And I did get some tiny sweet juicy strawberries when they were in season. They were amazing!
Right now it is the end of cherry season and I didn't get any... people drive from all over tje place to get cherries from here apparently. And there are cherry festivals which I didnt know about.

But if I could only pick one, I would have to say strawberries.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pineapple is my fav no matter what time of year it is.
Oh yeah. Fresh pineapple is the BEST. I like South American mangoes too (but not the ones from the Philippines).

I don't care for store-bought strawberries, or even the ones from the pick-your-own farm because they're still commercial varieties; too sour and they have a weird texture. Homegrown stawberries are great though. Cherries are wonderful no matter what, except I don't like cooked cherries (pie or crisp, etc.). I like most melons, but especially a good ripe muskmelon/canteloupe (I know there's a difference but they're pretty similar). Honeydews are often not ripe enough, or mushy and dull, but a good one is delicious. I'm picky about watermelon and only like the little sweet strong-flavored ones. The big ones just taste like weird water. I do like nice ripe peaches and nectarines but they have a tendency to get hard and flavorless on the way here so it's rare to find good ones, and they don't grow locally so I can't get them at the farmer's market. So I've mostly given up on those. I don't like raspberries but blueberries and blackberries are great.

I don't like plums; the texture is all wrong. Ugh squishy. Pears have the wrong texture too---but theirs is gritty not squishy. Although I once ate an entire grocery bag full that someone brought me from their wild pear tree, so maybe just the commercial ones are gritty.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love them all. I couldn't pick just one. That said, peaches never seem to be ripe nowadays, and I'm always disappointed in them. There's nothing quite like a ripe peach.

My mother used to cut up cantaloupe, squeeze lime juice over it, and sprinkle it with sugar. That made a lime glaze. Delicious! My sons loved it, too.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wait all year for the stone fruit, peaches, nectarines, apricots, and plums! I am really liking the peaches and plums this year, I LOVE the plums that are red inside!!! I always hope that I am picking out the red flesh ones, but these are fewer than the yellow flesh. They are very good as well. I try looking for the very dark-skinned plums hoping this will be the red flesh type. When the summer fruits are gone :bawling2: I switch over to frozen "summer" fruits so I will not be depressed over this all winter. I can't get over what great frozen fruits are available at a good cost.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fvorites would be strawberries and watermelon. I like most fruit though. The only ones I don't care for would be plums and apricots, it's not the flavor it's the texture that I don't care for.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALL! The produce drawer of my refrigerator is currently full of peaches, nectarines, plums and assorted vegetables. We already finished of the watermelon. Fresh berries of any kind are amazing!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:yeah: none of the stores around here sell those. i'm thinking i'll pop on over to the produce auction one evening in august, now it's located about a two minute walk from my house, and see if i can find one there. and i can easily eat a whole mega-sized watermelon by myself, over the course of 4 or 5 days. then i'll use the rind to make watermelon rind jelly...:yummy: