Question Of The Day, Friday, January 25

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Here's something for you on a Friday morning:

Are you more controlled by your left brain or your right? Do you have trouble saying the name of the color and not the word?

I could do it, but I had to stop and think about the last word. Don't know why. What about you? How did you do?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it! It got easier as I went along, though I was also tripped up by the last - I think because I assumed it was another blue and it wasn't until I looked close I knew it was purple.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my friends in high school did a science project on this exact thing. It's called the "stroop effect".

I have to think for a second to ignore the word and say the color the word is in.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It really took concentration when I went left to right, but it was much easier when I switched directions so I wasn’t “reading” the words. It would be interesting to see if people whose languages read from right to left would find it easier!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I did it I realized I am extremely more prone to reading the word. I guess that makes me controlled by my left brain.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was not easy, but I managed to say the colors. I wonder if being a non-native speaker of English -English is my third language- is complicating or facilitating it.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did it and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be which surprised me..... I wonder if it has something to do with being left handed? I think they say a lot of left handed people are right brain dominant.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be which surprised me..... I wonder if it has something to do with being left handed? I think they say a lot of left handed people are right brain dominant.
I doubt that. I read through all of them perfectly without hesitation, and my left hand is brain dead.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to do it. I started strong, but started to slow down midway through and have to think about it more. I'm definitely more inclined to want to read the word than say the color.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was able to do it but I had to concentrate to say the color rather then the word. It is a little easier from right to left.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G

Are you more controlled by your left brain or your right? Do you have trouble saying the name of the color and not the word?
What brain? :flail:

I failed, twice, then tried again going slower and missed the first 3. Then it got easier and fudged up the very last word/color.
Wife stumbled through 2 or 3 but aced it compared to little ol' me...
This is why she's The Boss. :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the first couple were harder for me, i wanted to say the word. after that, i concentrated on the color of the words only, and was able to get the rest right. except the last one, which to me looked like blue, but was purple. :dunno:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IO am left handed too and when I went slow and thought about it I did not have a hard time doing it.