Question Of The Day, Friday, January 18

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

I think the Northeast will get inundated with snow (and possibly ice) this weekend.

If you know the weather is going to be bad, do you prepare ahead of time? How do you plan for bad weather? Do you check the generator, hit the grocery store, hit the library, hit the liquor store? Or do you let things work themselves out and just deal with it? What do you do during a weekend of lousy weather?

Around here, we don't do much. I might run to the grocery store during my lunch break to grab a few items, but that's pretty much it, and that's only if I absolutely need to do so. We're going to run our errands tonight and stay home tomorrow. I have plenty of books on my iPad to work through and I plan to do some baking this weekend. We'll go outside periodically to shovel our sidewalk and around the vehicles; that way, it's not too deep when the storm is over.

What about you? How do you deal with a weekend of bad weather?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always make sure to have gas for the generator and I make sure to have milk for my children. I may or may not pick up wine or beer. I have plenty of books and games and we just relax and keep of with shoveling the driveway

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Other than making sure Mowgli's stock of cat food is sufficient, we don't do anything. There are several stores within walking distance, and our oil tanks are so big that we only get them filled every other summer.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Stock up, and have a binge-a-thon usually. We're supposed to get quite a storm tomorrow but I'll be ready.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have bad winter weather but I do prepare during hurricane season if one is predicted. I make sure I have bottled water, batteries, candles, cat food, human food, charcoal for the grill in case the power goes out and of course booze. All the essentials. :thumbsup:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'll hit the grocery store for a few essentials today. Tomorrow Aaron will make sure we have gas for the generator and snowblower. Ill check flashlights, candles, etc. I'll make sure all of my electronics are fully charged.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We're bracing for a big storm starting tonight into tomorrow and then lake effect snow again tomorrow night. I'll be gassing up the car, run last minute errands and power up my devices. They've been predicting the snow earlier in the week so I've already done my grocery shopping. I'm planning to bake Saturday, DH is happy about that. ;) No school/work Monday since it's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day so it will be a three-day weekend. Stay warm everyone!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are suppose to have snow and some very cold weather this weekend and a lot of ice. I won't be going outside because once I fall I can't get up again. My neighbor and I went to the grocery store yesterday to load up on supplies. Water, diet coke, cat food, nuts for the animals and food for our selves. I brought about a 5 day supply of food.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like this storm is going to be worse than I thought so my helper is going to pick up a quart of chili and sausage gravy from Bob Evans and also some biscuits.
I planned on getting pizza delivered tomorrow but that may not be possible.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am definitely big on preparation, stocking up and squirreling away things. I live more rural so it's not like I can easily trot anywhere. I'll go to the grocery store, pet store, firewood etc to get items ahead of time just in case. Just for peace of mind too knowing everything is there so I can relax during the whole weather. Otherwise my anxiety will sky rocket if I worry about not having enough stuff for the present and the future, although I try to work on that and relax myself - That everything is fine! Not going to starve!

The result of being the kid of a parent who was a war survivor :lol: It's true what they say it does trickle down generations. You would think that I'm anticipating an invasion or a blockade and not simply bad weather :p

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Syracuse, NY - Home of the Snowiest Area in the country. I don't prepare much - maybe a trip to the grocery store if I'm low on kitty food. When the plows come along, the streets are okay enough to drive on, although they're a little slippery. The worst part by far is digging the car out after the storm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too seem to go into high alert LOL , farm/ranch/country raised and also a child of a war survivor :)
Nothing much for Denver this time around, be safe everyone!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually have to work :ohwell: For a minor storm it's not a problem but if a huge storm is predicted I don't attempt to go to work or volunteer to work even if a hotel room is provided. I make it known well ahead of time. I have no one to feed the cats if I get stuck at work.

I stock up on groceries ahead of time if possible. For this weekend's storm I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow morning after work.

Then it's just curling up with a cat and a book or tablet:catlove:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We get a lot of rain here and the power goes out regularly. Usually, it's just a short outage, not enough for the freezer to start defrosting or anything. I have a battery backup air pump with enough spare batteries to keep my aquariums oxygenated for a week and enough dry cat food for at least a month if that's all she ate. When a strong storm is coming through I just cross my fingers and hope a redwood doesn't fall across the highway and the bay doesn't flood it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost always have enough on hand to last two or three days, by which time the plows will have cleared the roads. I almost ran out of cat food the last time it snowed, so I have plenty of that on hand. I'm low on bread and milk, and may stop and get some. Not too worried, though. We rarely lose our power because we have underground cables.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am in Southern California, the weather doesn't really cause much stocking up in my area. The only one you can see coming is the rain storms. Which my house is not in flood zone or mud slides zones. My biggest prepping for that is keeping a traffic app up driving home so I avoid flooded roads. If I lived in flood or mud slides zones then stocking up on sandbags or water barriers would be the way to go, plus food and water if land locked.

We do have an emergency kit and never drop below a pound of food for the fluffs. But that is in case of an earthquake. We also have a carrier per critter so we can grab everyone and run in a fire or earthquake. But that isn't weather driven.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I do is to make sure there is food, cat food and dog food for several days. I also make sure that all the water jugs I have stockpiled (around 50 gallons) are filled up. And of course, make sure we have enough propane to last.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always try to stock up on whatever might be needed short term; food, water, gas up the car, and in winter we always have plenty of fire wood delivered before the cold weather hits. We always have cat food - I never let that or litter run too low. I've lived in Florida and went through Sandy so I'm all to well aware of how bad things can get fast.

Our only problem this time around is our snowblower is on the fritz. We aren't able to lift it into the car ourselves to get it somewhere to be repaired (we only have 1 car and it's a sedan, aside from the fact we really can't lift it) and have been having trouble finding someone to come to the house to fix it. So if we get a bad snowstorm this winter (so far we've been lucky) I guess we're shoveling or hoping some local kids come by looking to make money!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a 'stocker'.. I had to because I lived with my elderly, handicapped dad.. and I worked in a hospital, meaning that I was an essential worker.

I still have all the flashlights, camp light, tons of quilts..

The day before the storm, I usually order a pizza.. Pizza can be eaten cold, if the power goes out.

I do fill up the car's gas tank.. make sure the portable radio--actually an old boom box, has working batteries.. have all my emergency numbers ready.. charge my phone and laptop... and that is about it.

I also make sure my boots, storm gloves, and hat are at the ready..

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only stock up on supplies if the weather is especially bad such as if there's snowing or ongoing heavy rain (more likely the former) and we won't be able to get to the shops for at least a few days - but only if our current food stock is running low.
We also prepare all our winter clothes if we're going out, and prepare hot water bottles and handwarmers etc.
The weather doesn't get too bad here and we haven't had any natural disasters in our part of the UK so far recently, so we don't have to prepare for serious weather much at all.