Question of the Day, Friday, January 10

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use one of those half-wallets with the id window or my back pocket. If I carry a purse, it becomes a garbage bag full of receipts, cigarette butts, candy wrappers, outdated paperwork/bills and other assorted junk that drives me crazy. I do have a purse that I use when I need to take my iPad with me, but nothing but a notepad, pen, and a tin of Carmex are allowed in it. Nothing is worse than getting little bits of tobacco stuck inside your Carmex lid. Yuck. Well, I guess there is something worse: when a friend asks to use your Carmex and sees all the nasty little bits of tobacco stuck in the lid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question that probably sounds ignorant, insensitive or both.

I always wondered why do you carry all the things that are in your purses when you go out for leisure.
I always carry my wallet, both of my cases for my glasses (prescription sunglasses and regular prescription glasses), cell phone and charger, Nook and charger, a small notebook, pens, and some spare change. A tape measure. Hair brush and some "personal" items....and don't ask about them. I'm warning you! 

Oh, and my leather appointment book; that keeps track of my life: I keep my calorie counts, my exercise data, my weight, appointments for both work and personal stuff, the books I've read for the year, little lists of things I want to do that week, an ongoing grocery list, and all sorts of other stuff. When I first started working in the planning office, I bought that appointment book (about 13 years ago) and I've used it strongly ever since. Seriously, it has my life in it.

That's a minimum of stuff and it's really what I can't do without, even if I'm out to dinner or shopping with Rick or with GFs. I need my glasses, both pairs, as I probably wear my sunglasses more than my regular glasses, even when driving. I need my phone. And I even need my Nook....I can't imagine waiting in line anywhere without the Nook. The notebook really comes in handy as I think of things, simply because I'm old and very forgetful....I need to write it down when I think of it, whatever "it" is. Spare change for parking meters and the like. (Although I tend to keep spare change in my car, too.) And my appointment book. The tape measure? Well, you never know when you're going to have to measure something (usually to see if it will fit in the car).

My purse isn't nearly as big as some I've seen women carry. Some of those things are simply enormous and the women who carry them must have back and neck problems! There's a woman at work who carries this truly gigantic purse; I picked it up one time and let me tell you, I could lift weights with that thing! I asked her what was in it and she said "Everything and anything  I need at any given time". Good grief.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a purse that converts to a backpack.  I LOVE it.  So after shopping if my hands are full or I'm juggling packages, I can carry it as a backpack.  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally use a cross body purse on a daily basis to keep my hands free.  Purses with straps that go over the shoulder tend to not stay there, and I find that carrying a purse causes me more back pain.

If I could find a way to get around without a purse, period, I wouldn't bother with one at all.