Question of the Day, Friday, January 10

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Friday! 

What do you carry with you when shopping.... a purse or just a wallet?

I use a couple different bags now. My favorite is a brown leather hobo bag that's large enough for all the junk I carry with me: wallet, glasses cases (sunglasses and regular glasses), Nook and charger, cell phone and charger, iPod, appointment calendar, small note pad, brush, pens, calculator, etc. But I don't have a lot of purses as, for the most part, I don't really like to carry them with me. I usually put a bit of money in my jeans pocket and put the bag in the trunk of my car when I hit the mall. I hate carrying a bag because I have to force myself to remember I have it with me.

For work, I'm still using an old (very old) Jansport attache-type bag that's large enough for subdivision plans, my subdivision ordinance, camera, and all of the above-mentioned stuff, too. Plus a book or two, 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a purse. I have too much stuff for a wallet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a purse also - several.  While I don't keep as much in my bag as many others I know, I need to have too many of items on me at all times- stuff like my inhaler(s), migraine meds, keys (2 sets), and more.  

However, if I'm on vacation I do tend to take a small clutch type of purse - Coach makes nice ones and you can get them on sale a lot of times in various places.  I can get the absolute essential in one of those for when I'm just out walking around exploring.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually a diaper bag with my wallet stuffed inside. If it's the odd time my daughter isn't around, then I have a purse.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really nice black sheep skin hobo-style handbag that I got on clearance a few years ago. If I'm wanting to look fancy or carry a lot with me, I carry that. If I'm dressed really casually, I have this floral bag I carry. 

But if I'm just running quick errands and don't need a lot with me, I just carry my wallet. That's my preference. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I was younger and got my purse stolen TWICE I stopped carrying one altogether. I carry a leather checkbook holder that has my credit card and my license and have money and my phone in my pocket, I am always amazed at what people stick in a purse, I would bet my 80 year old mother in laws' weighs 10 pounds, it's ridiculous!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I usually travel light, too, with a little leather case (it's like 1/4 of a wallet) that has ID and a few cards. It's always chilly here which means you always have pockets, so I put my keys and wallet in one pocket ,and my cell in the other, and go. If I have to drag documents or other stuff around, then I use a messenger bag  / brief case kind of thing that has lots of cushy protection for my laptop.

I have a couple of dressy purses since dress clothes don't seem to have many pockets.

The other day I was shopping and thinking maybe I should grow up and get a purse, and I looked at them but they were all huge like luggage! I don't want to have to drag something like that around! I don't even know what I'd put in it, lol.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wallet. I don't even carry coins. I have a coin box at home that I bring to the CoinStar machine every few months. Only other things I carry are my cell and keys.

In the rare occasions where I may have quite a few things to carry, it'll be a in a messenger bag.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Purse. It carries my wallet, phone, neighbors' keys when I'm pet sitting, coupons, usually a granola bar or two. Coins usually falls to the bottom of my bag.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I've always been a handbag nut, I've always carried them with me.  I love handbags and have quite a few leather bags.  Satchels, hobo's, totes, buckets and cross body bags.  I have black, brown, white, dark blue and one which is not a solid color. 

Each time I clean out my closet or move, I tend to get rid of some of them if I'm not using them much.  I had around 25 bags at one time, I believe now I am down to ten so I'm doing good but I always check out handbags if I pass them in a store, just looking tho

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't carry a purse without forgetting it somewhere :lol3:. And when I'm traveling I get super paranoid that a purse will be stolen. I've given up trying. I have a wallet with my cash and cards (mainly cards; I rarely use cash). It's easier in the winter when I have big jacket pockets, LOL.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I carry a Mom-bag.  That's a purse stuffed with all the usual ladies items plus kids stuff.  Right down to toy cars, extra socks and teething things. 

I went to a baby shower a couple weeks ago and they played this game where they gave us a list of all these things to find in your purse.  Items in different categories were worth a different amount of points.  I won by more than 30 points.
  They only gave us 4 minutes or I'd have found more I'm sure.  I'm still looking for the rock I know is in there somewhere. 

I need a new one too.  I broke the zipper pull at the shower and I found a hole in the lining while doing that search.  That's where I think the rock is; somewhere between the liner and the leather.  I just hate finding bags that work for me and don't cost a fortune.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question that probably sounds ignorant, insensitive or both.

I always wondered why do you carry all the things that are in your purses when you go out for leisure.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wallet. I don't even carry coins. I have a coin box at home that I bring to the CoinStar machine every few months. Only other things I carry are my cell and keys.

In the rare occasions where I may have quite a few things to carry, it'll be a in a messenger bag.
I was wondering when the first guy would show up :D

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If my husband is with me which he is like 90% of the time I just let him use his debit card so I don't need to carry my purse. If I'm with someone else or alone I do bring my purse along. I should really always keep it with me since it contains my epi-pens and benadryl and it can take 45 minutes or more to get home.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a purse, however if I am at a grocery store, I 'lock' it into the child seat with the seat belt straps.  Have had a couple of people try to take off with it, that way they can't.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a question that probably sounds ignorant, insensitive or both.

I always wondered why do you carry all the things that are in your purses when you go out for leisure.
  I was just about to respond to your first post by saying "you're such a bloke, Cory" and now you ask that eternal bloke question. 

I think you may just have to accept that it's one of life's little mysteries.  I don't even think we girls know! 

I carry a handbag which is large enough for a couple of fold-away shopping bags.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have a purse, however if I am at a grocery store, I 'lock' it into the child seat with the seat belt straps.  Have had a couple of people try to take off with it, that way they can't.
I do that with a hiking clip that I keep my keys on.  I see some ladies step away from their carts with their purses up in the basket/seat part all wide open and accessible.  That makes me nervous!

I think you may just have to accept that it's one of life's little mysteries.  I don't even think we girls know! 
You may be right.