Question of the Day, Friday, February 4

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

What is the best compliment you ever received?

Several years ago, I was walking on my route before work. It was in the summertime, so I was walking in the morning before work. I was walking west. A woman drove by and stopped. She put her window down and said, "Your hair is glorious! With the sun, it looks like it's on fire! Beautiful!" I thanked her (what could I say?), she put her window up, and drove on. And that was that. It was unexpected and it really made me feel good.

How about you?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few unexpected compliments that made my day. One time, I had just shaped my hair and left it down (it's usually tied up) and the woman at the grocery store just gushed at how gorgeous my hair was. It's quite long and VERY curly and can get quite unruly so I don't leave it down often. I thanked her and it made me feel great. I often get compliments on my curls...but that one stood out.
I've gotten compliments on how great I job I do with my therapy. I often hear..."You really were made to do this" or "You certainly chose the right profession". It's nice to know that I've really helped these people in pain and make them feel better and heal.
I'm also a closeted singer. I feel like I sing really great, but have terrible stage fright and am terrified of singing in front of people. One time, I was a little tipsy and sang karaoke with a small group of friends. They were all gobsmacked and the guy who ran the karaoke machine actually came up to me asking if I sang professionally and said I should really consider singing "for real". I will never sing in front of people probably ever again, but at least I know I'm not the only one who thinks I sing great. The car will continue to be my stage...but I'm OK with that...It's nice to know I'm not like one of those delusional American Idol contestants that think their great but blow the big one! LOL!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

What is the best compliment you ever received?

Several years ago, I was walking on my route before work. It was in the summertime, so I was walking in the morning before work. I was walking west. A woman drove by and stopped. She put her window down and said, "Your hair is glorious! With the sun, it looks like it's on fire! Beautiful!" I thanked her (what could I say?), she put her window up, and drove on. And that was that. It was unexpected and it really made me feel good.

How about you?
Being thanked For serving my country for Military Service. I had never received any such complement during my 20 yrs. of service . I received the first complement about 6 yrs after I retired.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably over my kids; but it was when they were with my mom. Parenting is hard and you put so much of yourself into it. Getting a compliment on my kids behavior and things is really meaningful. People go straight to homeschoolers lacking social skills. No kid is perfect with those because they are learning! And public schools have plenty of weird kids (🙋🏻‍♀️). But when my mom had my kids out and they were interacting with adults they didn’t know so nicely that they told my mom how great they were…you know the hard work pays off.

As for direct compliments; the best I remember was in high school during chorus. Another girl turned around and said “Wow that sounded great!” I thought she was talking to someone else so I looked at her like an idiot.:paperbag: I used to be very soft spoken but chorus helped me learn to project my voice.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best compliment pertaining to my brain: One of my college professors told me that I had an extraordinary gift for literary theory and criticism. She also said she was in "awe" with how easy it was (is) for me to understand G. W. F. Hegel. She ended the compliment by stating, "You should consider sending some of your work to literary journals. It truly is a thing of intellectual beauty." It is what set my path to comparative literature. (I do have published work.)

Best compliment on my looks: While I am rather vain about my hair, this one is actually about my looks in general. In my early 20s, I was working at a restaurant and an elderly couple came in for breakfast. I went up to the table and the woman made an odd noise. She apologized then said, "You probably have no idea who I'm talking about, but you look so much like an actress named Gene Tierney from a long time ago," I explained that I did indeed know who she was and that I had actually styled my hair that morning (and many other mornings) to replicate how she wore hers in "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." I am sure it was the hair and perhaps my cheekbones because I do not look like the beautiful Gene Tierney!

Yes, I am a strange woman who sometimes wears her hair like a 1940s movie star pretending to live in the late Victorian/early Edwardian era. My daughter's second middle name is after the character from that movie, but instead of "Lucy," it is "Lucia," which is what the ghost of Captain Gregg called her.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on a coach trip to India, we had to cover our hair to see the golden temple. As we were lining up one of the ladies asked were I got my headscarf from because it was gorgeous and I should wear them more often because it really suited me. The funniest compliment I've ever had was by a very drunk man who told my husband how lucky he was to have me, because I was like a fine donner kebab. Don't know if thats bad or good. :dunno:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being thanked For serving my country for Military Service. I had never received any such complement during my 20 yrs. of service . I received the first complement about 6 yrs after I retired.
Same here, only it took more than 25 years before I heard that for the first time; it was sometime in the late 90s, and came out of the blue. It took a while to realize what the woman had said, and that she wasn't smirking when she said it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Questions asking for the best are always difficult for me. Nothing is jumping out at me as amazing. I love any compliments about my child. My MIL complimented me recently on my weight loss, which is nice because being on a restricted diet has been difficult, and I've been trying to get to a place where I'm happy with my body.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I am a strange woman who sometimes wears her hair like a 1940s movie star pretending to live in the late Victorian/early Edwardian era. My daughter's second middle name is after the character from that movie, but instead of "Lucy," it is "Lucia," which is what the ghost of Captain Gregg called her.
My bestie does this all the time. Most of her clothing is 1940s vintage inspired. She collects the old patterns and sews the majority of her own clothing. She said the older people in her neighborhood absolutely love it! :redheartpump: Her daughter is named after a Greek goddess. Well; she told everyone they just liked the name. But still! Nothing wrong with being unique! :redheartpump:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never tell people my age because they always think I'm 10-15 years younger. Not recently but once when DH and I went out to a restaurant they asked him if he needed a junior menu for me. :flail:
When I was in my teens and early 20s, people assumed I was older. I think it is because I tend to come across as a serious (mean) yet quiet person which translates to "older" when you are that young. That all changed when I was in my 30s. People started to think I was younger because of my skin. I know that because they tell me so. Even now that I am about to be 47, people are surprised when they learn that I am pushing 50. Most guess me at 35. It usually comes up when I have Hobbit with me because people assume he is my son. When I correct them and say I am his grandma, they honestly seem surprised. Several have asked me what I do. No sun, no drinking alcohol, no smoking, and rosehip seed oil.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The nicest compliment I've had recently came from the mother of a student of mine. My student suffers from severe anxiety and doesn't interact with anyone outside of her immediate family and her regular doctor. Her mother said she was really pleased that I'd been able to get her daughter to open up and talk to me.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When much younger I used to receive many compliments about my looks, now even my husband does not say anything to me anymore. He does not even notice if I cut my hair or even wash my hair. LOL.

But the best compliment I receive is when people say I've got good kids.
And beautiful cats. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am NOT good at receiving complements at all. One odd one that stuck with me is on a summer day at our last house someone pulled into our yard and thought we were the florist because the outside looked so nice and full of flowers.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always like being told that I'm a good person and I'm kind because I think those are two of the most important qualities to have. A more specific compliment I received was from my statistics professor who said that I'd make a good doctorate candidate.