Question of the Day, Friday, February 28

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning
 and Happy Friday! And Happy Last Day of February, too!

With the way our economy is today, we sometimes don't know which end is up. And we're all trying to cut back and save a little here and there. So my question for you this morning is:

What do you to cut back a bit? How do you save money?

Rick and I both work and, so far, things are OK with us. We have no credit card debt; we pay the cards when the payment is due. We have three credit cards (one that Rick uses when he's traveling, one for both of us to use, and one that I use solely online. The one that I use online has a really low balance; that way, if anything happens, they won't be able to get that much).

We have a budget and we stick to that budget as closely as we can. Our budget includes everything: utilities, clothing, the cats' supplies and vets, medical expenses, etc. (For two years in a row, we went over the cat budget because, for two years in a row, a kitten came into the house. Said kitten needed shots, spayed and we didn't plan on that. But kittens happen sometimes.
 When Muffin became part of the family, she was already spayed and had had her kitten shots, so we didn't have that to deal with. But she was on her own dry food and I never had the heart to change her to what the other kids were eating. So she still eats her separate dry food.)

Everything that we can save goes into retirement accounts. 

We try not to eat in restaurants unless it's for a special occasion. I enjoy cooking and, for me, cooking is therapeutic, so I enjoy making dinner, baking bread, etc. Our son has often said that, if we had to, we could eat out of our freezer for a good six months or so. I buy the economy packages of food, then re-portion and freeze that way. I make my grocery list, check out my coupons, check out the kitchen and my "What's In the Freezers?" lists and we go for groceries.

I had my nails professionally done once in my life (a French manicure for my son's wedding)....and I wasn't impressed. I do my own nails. And if I could color my own hair, I would. But I make too much of a mess, so the salon is my monthly splurge. And no, I don't feel guilty about it at all. Maybe when I hit 80 or so, I won't worry so much about grey--or in my case, white--hair roots, but for now? Not going there. 

We wash our own vehicles...no car wash. I've washed my cars for years; I don't mind it. And I do it at home. It's good exercise. (Rick will sometimes take his truck to the car wash, but I refuse.)

Love my local library. I also use ebooks and can always find something to read.

Rick loves his iced coffee, but he doesn't go to Starbucks; he found a couple k-cups that he loves to make his iced coffee with and he's happy with them. Often on a Saturday morning, I'll come up from the treadmill and Rick will be making his iced coffee.

All my change goes into a jar at home. When the jar is full, it goes into a savings account at the bank. 

What about you? How do you cut back and try to save a bit of money? Do you have any good tips to share?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you shared a lot of tips. Since l support myself on my own money, l don't really have a set budget.

l only use cash, debit, or paypal for all purchases, l don't use credit. lf l can't afford it, l don't buy it.

Restaurant food is limited to maybe twice a month, l've started cooking in larger batches and freezing whole meals for work. l buy things in large amounts when they're on sale and use them until the next sale. Especially so with coffee. Coffee can get expensive sometimes. When there's a good sale l'll buy up to 20 cans and wait for the next sale to buy more.

There are things l won't stop paying for, like wet cat food, the work lottery tickets, chewing gum! Love my gum 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and l do my own hair highlights, and do my own ceramic nails. l also dye my eyebrows!! Since l'm blonde and they're fairly light brown naturally. TMI 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with throwing your change in a jar, last time we brought it in, after two years, we had 800.00! It really adds up! I color my own hair, buy clothes usually on sale with coupons, we also wash our own cars at home. We have an acre of lawn and flowers and do all our own weed killing and fertilizer, and have found the local coop has really good fertilizers for our area at reasonable prices.

Our water bills are terrible in the summer,(300.00/month) but with our huge garden and all of our flowers and trees it can't be helped. I do mulch and am planting drought resistant plants, but when you are only getting a third of your annual rainfall it's hard. SOME day this drought will break, we have had several little snows this winter, and our highs are supposed to be in the single digits this weekend, so everything shouldn't be coming out of dormancy anytime soon!

We make our coffee at home and bring it to work or with us when we travel. We do go out to eat at least once a week because we don't do anything else! We also take our little 'jaunts' on weekends, visiting other towns in our state within a days drive, I'm discovering a lot of great places in our own state! We can't be gone long because of our animals.

We pay our credit cards every month, have three, one of which is for a discount on gas, and another is to a building center which gives us a 2% rebate every year, this year we got almost 300.00!

We're near retirement so have no bills or loans, we worked hard "flipping" real estate when we were younger and made good money at it.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I sell something on our local buy and sell page, I put the money into a jar for my daughter. If the item sold was more than $20, she gets half. It adds up really fast, there's about $40-$50 in there and I've taken $30 out of it. I'm trying not to take any more out of it. 

I use coupons to help save money and combine them with sales.

We have been spending way too much money lately. My husband got a new job that pays more than double what our total household income was last year so we've been buying things we have wanted and spending more money on groceries than we should be. We know we need to stop doing that.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I cut back on my channels on TV.. saved a few bucks a month.. I am considering cutting cable all together, and get an antennae for my TV, or watch my shows on Netflix. I really don't watch TV much anymore, it's only on for background noise.

I get some food from the Dollar store. Same food in the grocery stores , and expiration date is still good. What costs me 5 bucks at the grocery store, costs me a dollar at a dollar store. Same with other supplies (cleaning supplies and napkins and such)

I try to have money taken from my check and into a savings, but every month, I wind up taking that money out to pay for rent. I wish I could keep that money in there!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a deep freezer and buying items on sale helps me out. Also, my main grocery store offers "fuel perks" which helps reduce fuel costs. I eat out only if it's a good deal for the most part. Lunch today was a splurge of 3 sushi rolls and a salad for $12.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We try best we can but it is tight more often then not. 

Cats I buy food and litter ONLY if it is on sale and a coupon.  I stock pile Black Friday but only so much you can buy-bought an SUV full of dry and canned but all gone but few bags.

Same for our items-sale and coupons or sales for items that do not get coupons.  I go into Shoprite whenever I pass one to see if any clearance chicken and Aldi for the beef.  I have gotten VERY lucky and walked out with many 1/2 off and take care of them then and there to freeze into smaller size packages. 

Always hit the clearance basket in grocery for rolls to freeze and any item I can use that day or safetly store it till I can.  cakes I avoid as they never taste good on the last day IMO. 

Now setting aside a few bucks for baby items and will buy them when closer.  Cloth diapers and a car seat that is good for many years.  Not planning to many extras just start with a new mini crib and see what I can get used/free.

Went down to the welcome pack on Dish(20 a month plus tax)  Internet we need to go to Comcast to discuss the options or just drop it as bill went up super high last month from promo running out.  I do want something in home for net but 75 is not worth it at all! 

Water bill was very high this quarter but also use alot of water for wash/litter boxes so not to much I can do.  Electric we are on the payment program so at least no major shocks but we try to keep usage to minimum.  Ac is my downfall.  I hate heat! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have absolutely no debt - believe it or not - except for a mortgage. IF we don't have the money - we don't buy it. period. We also pay off our credit card in full every month. To save - well - we are very frugal in the first place so that helps with saving. Larry and I are always thinking before we buy or spend - do we really need this. I tend to over spend on the pets, of course, more than anything else in our lives. :lol3: They want for nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a "stash" :lol2: and I put about twenty bucks in there each week. I am still very stingy using my cash stash, though. I hide it in the house and even Larry doesn't know where it is. He asks from time to time - "SO - how much do you have hidden away????!!!!" We are both on the same page as far as spending goes which helps a lot. Even our dinners out - we use coupons or share meals. We like to go out on the weekends but not over spend at restaurants.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess there are a lot of things I do that save money, but that's not why I do them :lol3:. I don't wear makeup or get manicures or fancy haircuts and I don't dye my hair. I go to Cost Cutters once every 6-8 weeks :tongue2:. But that's because I don't WANT to wear makeup or fuss about my nails or hair. I also don't buy fancy clothes or shoes. Meh. I'm not into fashion.

I don't water my lawn---it lives or dies on its own, I always say! I won't pay interest on anything other than a house and car, and even having a car loan makes me antsy :/. But probably necessary if I want a newer car. But that's because it annoys me to pay interest. I do use my credit card for everything, to get the cash back rewards, but I only spend what I can pay off every month. I don't buy much junk food, mainly because it's bad for me ;). I feel like I don't have time to do coupons, plus I don't know where to find any good ones, and the ones I do find are for things I don't buy. I make a detailed shopping list based on what I already have in the house and stick to it. Mostly because I'll end up with a zillion of one thing and none of another if I don't!

So I don't really do a lot of things specifically to save money but it seems to turn out to be a reasonably frugal lifestyle anyway.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I paid off over $25,000 in credit card debt from a failed business venture.  I find that number sickening now.  We lived below our means back then.  Most or all of my pay went to paying off the debt.  We paid off the highest interest cards first.  It only took a few years that way.  After that took what we'd been putting toward the debt and started saving it for our house.  Short term pain; long term gain. 

We generally try to keep it where we only have one car payment at a time.  We got rid of cable TV and use Amazon and Netflix now.  We don't have smartphones.  We eat out a few times a month; mostly just along the lines of picking up subs...not restaurant dining.  We don't go crazy with clothing shopping for ourselves.  I coupon and menu plan; which cuts down on a lot of waste.  I've had my hair done once in the past year and a half.  I'd prefer 2 times a year; but I had a reason for growing it out. 
  I'd love regular pedicures; but I chose not to spend our money on them.  It's the same with smartphones.

We do save some and invest some.  We don't like to put anything on a credit card that we can't pay off that month.  Even at Christmas.  I do like to get my kids new clothing; but we also get hand-me-down things from friends and share what they outgrow too. 

karrecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DH and I keep a "stash" as well and try to add onto it every week. We don't really eat out at fancy restaurants often, only for special occasions like birthdays and anniversary. I also do my own nails - the local salon is terribly overpriced and the color palette is very limited. I also keep my hair long-ish so no frequent hair cuts for me! DH keeps the same hair style all year (and keeps up the haircuts 
) We also both have e-books as the cost is less pricey than the bookstore items.

There's some great ideas here!