Question of the Day, Friday, February 22

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Morning everybody!

Let's talk about laundry today. We all have to do it and not many of us enjoy it.

How many loads of laundry do you do in one week? What's your favorite laundry detergent, softener, etc? Do you have your washer and dryer or do you use a laundromat? Do you separate your clothing or does it go into one load?

Both our washer and dryer are old as the hills and we're not looking to buy new any time soon *knock on wood*. They're in our basement, so I go down and up the steps quite a bit when doing laundry.

For two people, we do a lot of laundry.....I'm thinking 7-8 loads a week, including the bed linens and a load of all the cats' blankies, pillowcases, and such. I don't do it all at one time; usually a couple loads 2-3 times a week. We separate our clothing: whites; coloreds; towels, washcloths, tablecloths, etc., a load of sweats and flannel shirts, pants and jeans, you get the idea. Bed linens washed separately, cats' stuff washed separately. While Rick and I both work on laundry, I think it tends to be more my job.....although he'll help fold the clean clothing at night during television commercials
. (He didn't used to put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket and I kept telling him that if he wanted clean clothes, he had to put them in the basket. It took him awhile, but he got the message and most of the time, he'll pick up his dirty clothes.)

I like Wisk or Tide, but in a pinch will use Cheer. No powder detergents. I have a Downy bar in the dryer; it gets replaced every 3-4 months.

We do have a clothesline outside, up at the back end of the yard. I used to use it, but since I hurt my back, I'm not really supposed to lift much more than 5-10 pounds, A basket of wet laundry can weigh a lot sometimes. I do love the smell of clean sheets that have been hung outside to dry, though, and will sometimes put the sheets out on the line. Sometimes Rick will take them out for me; he likes the smell, too. There's just something about getting into a bed when the sheets are fresh off the clothesline

Muffin loves sleeping in the laundry basket, but only when it's full of dirty clothes. When I bring the basket up from the basement, Tabby is waiting for me on the steps. As soon as I put the basket on the steps, she jumps right in, goes around in a circle a couple times, and flops down. Once we get to the top of the steps and into the living room, I'll sway the laundry basket back and forth (with her in it). Then I put the basket on the floor and she hops out. Muffin, though, has spent time watching this whole thing and often when I open the basement door, Muffin and Tabby are both waiting on the steps and they both hop in the basket. That's a lot of cat!!
 Last night, I opened the door with a basket full of clean laundry and til I got up into the living room, the basket had clean clothes (with cat hair), a Tabby, and a Muffin....way more than 5 or 10 pounds. I carried them out to the kitchen, put the basket down on a kitchen chair, picked the cats up and plopped them on the pink blankie on the kitchen table, and then proceeded to fold the laundry.....cat hair and all.Even doing laundry can be an adventure in our house.

So that's my laundry information. Let's hear yours!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I average 5-6 loads a week, usually 2 light and 3 or 4 dark ones, and a load of "cat stuff" about twice a month. The (13-lb. capacity condenser) dryer is 11 years old, while the washer (15-lb. capacity front loader) is 1 year old. Sheets go out on the line in warm weather; when it's cold they get hung up in the laundry cum furnace room. I use liquid detergent (usually Persil) and no softener.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do two loads every two weeks. We have a laundry room in our building, and it costs $1.50 per load, so I try to not do laundry that often. Plus, I live alone, so I don't have that many dirty clothes at a time. I do one load of whites and one load of colors. Once a month I have to do towels and sheets. I just buy whatever liquid detergent is on sale or is cheap.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 loads a week when I had the money, 

Tide is my favorite

I use a laundry mat that is right outside my front door across the parking lot. At least we moved near the mat instead of taking it to my daughter's house all the time.

I separate my clothes of course

dejolane

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At most 3 lights, darks, towels and bedding

But I wear a lot of dark clothing so its mainly just 2 loads a week theres only me and the cats

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It seems like I am always doing laundry. I try to do one load a day to keep up, but that doesn't always happen.

Yes, I sort clothes, have my own washer and dryer, and normally use Tide free or All free and clear.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like I am always doing laundry. I try to do one load a day to keep up, but that doesn't always happen.

Yes, I sort clothes, have my own washer and dryer, and normally use Tide free or All free and clear.
 It's only me and my husband here so when the towels run out ,it's laundry day.

Sometimes when my money is low, we do the wash at my daughters and do the dry at the laundry mat.

dejolane

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 people, 29 cats, 1 dog 1 puppy

Um  I usually do few loads a day. Today is a busy day though, I have 1 in washer and 4 more to go at least.  I have many throws for the cats and a few dog beds for them to.  

I prefer Fab or Dynamo but will get anything with coupon if cheap enough.  I prefer snuggle but few months ago I ended up with a few cases of Final Touch that was really cheap, think I am down to 20 bottles...lol.  I have it stored everywhere.

Our washer gets stuck every so often but you just need to move the dial.  It came with the house.  It was a single elderly female so it had not much use.  It is about 8-10 years old.  Our dryer I got months after moving in( We hung EVERYTHING!!!!)  Dryer is probably 15 the people were upgrading to front loader set.  It looks bad but it is a CHAMP!!!  

I dry all my shirts/house pants on the line year-round.  Saves alot of money. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Tide laundry soap. Just tried the "febreze" and love the smell of the clothes. Last year we upgraded our old top loaders - Kenmore - to the front loaders - LG's. They are great. I have to buy the HE (high efficiency) laundry soap and fabric sofeners. I usually do about a small load every day. It is just Larry and me, but with six cats and two dogs, I have more laundry. I don't like to pack it in the machine so usually one load day works well for me. :wavey:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd guess we have about 10 loads a week for 3 people, not counting our teen's clothes which she washes herself (not often enough in my opinion). 

The washer and dryer are in the basement or "dungeon" - it's an unfinished basement. We use Costco powder detergent for most loads; Woolite for clothes. I hang up shirts and dresses to dry but most everything else goes in the dryer. Our electrical usage really spikes on laundry days.

I cannot use perfumed laundry detergents and softeners, Gain detergent gives me hives for some reason.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how much it averages out to. . .I tend to wait until I'm out of socks and then do 4-5 loads all in the same day :lol3:. I don't separate lights and darks, but I do separate towels and fleece blankets because they make my clothes linty. And I'll run a separate load of jeans because they don't dry fast enough if done with the rest. I don't usually line-dry (except bras and other delicates), it's just too much bother.

I don't know how old my washer and dryer are--they came with the house, 8 years ago, and weren't new then. I have to put something heavy on the washer lid or it won't run :tongue2:. The dryer works pretty well. They're in the basement, and the laundry/furnace room is the only room with no kitties allowed! But I always have "help" folding! :D

I like Tide with Febreze detergent, I also recently got some of those Pods (Tide, too? I think), and I really like them. They do cost about 7-8 cents more per load, so I have to decide if I like them that much. I put a Downy ball with white vinegar in the wash for softening, but I also use dryer sheets for static, or else cat hair sticks to everything. Usually Up and Up (Target brand), unscented or lavender scented.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm...  I guess 3-4 loads of clothing, one or two of towels and then sheets.  So 5-7 loads per week. Unless I do the couch blankets.  DH does his own uniforms.  Fortunately with all that we have a washer and dryer here in the house.  The laundry closet is between the living room and the kitchen so it's very convenient to get to.  DH and I splurged on a front loader set with pedestals when I was pregnant with DD.  The washer definitely holds more; but you can't soak clothing like you could with a traditional top loader.  We figured since we have septic here it would be good to put less water in it from the washing machine.

We use All Free & Clear detergent for everything and Downy Free on everything but the kid's clothes, which get no fabric softener at all.  I separate lights and darks for DH's and my own things but I wash the kids stuff in one load with a little oxyclean.  I also add one of those color catcher sheets. They seem to work pretty good.  I add a little oxyclean to the towels too because I wash the bibs with those and it REALLY helps.  I use Oxyclean for spot treating the kid's things.  It's saved a lot of outfits.  

Laundry folding has become one of my favorite chores because I can do it while sitting in front of the TV while the kids nap.  I use that time to catch up on NCIS! 

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typically do around 6 loads a week. I wash my bed linens and towels twice a week, and I normally do about 3 loads of clothes (dark, lights, delicate), and one load for the pets (their blankets and towels).

I use whatever brand of "Free & Clear" is the least inexpensive at the time...usually Purex or All. I also use Downy Unstopables to freshen them up. (LOVING that stuff!). (Sometimes, I add baking soda to the washing machine to help get things a bit cleaner.) For sheet fabric softener, I just use whatever's on sale. :) (A while back I made my own fabric softener....I didn't find that it preformed well, and prefer to just buy it at the store.)

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let's see... we're a family of 5, including three kids who get dirty a lot.  The two girls share a room and a laundry basket.  Together, they would generate one load per week if they wear one outfit per day and wear their pyjamas more than once, but that rarely happens.  Usually two loads for them.  My son generates one load per week by himself.  We also have a special bin in the bathroom for gross items, like underwear that's been soiled or a wash cloth that was used on a really smelly mess.  These items are quarantined, so to speak, so they don't contaminate less dirty laundry.  I wash it once a week because I don't like it to sit for long periods.  It's nowhere near a full load, but since the items are heavily soiled, they could use the extra water.  My husband does his own laundry, so not sure about him, but it's probably similar to me.  I generate one very small load per week, or I can save it up for a large load over three weeks.  Aside from clothes, we wash linens whenever they get dirty, which is a lot.  I think you're supposed to wash sheets once a week, but I wash them whenever something gets spilled on them or they get drawn on or peed on by the kids, which is often enough.  Sometimes it's more than once a week, sometimes less.  There's about one full load of towels per week and the comforters get washed whenever they get dirty.  Again, that's a lot.  Maybe 5 loads of linens per week... it fluctuates depending on messiness.  I have couch covers and pet beds that get washed once in a while, but not every week.  

I guess about ten loads per week, but that number could double if kids are being particularly messy.  When the kids were all diapers... whew!  We did cloth diapers, so obviously, that added to it.  

I'm sure there's a laundry nazi somewhere who hates this, but I put all the colours together.  I separate the items by function so that they're easier to put away.  Each person's clothes, towels, all the bedding for one bed, etc.  

My favourite detergent is Country Save, because it's not full of inert powder which makes up so much of those huge boxes of detergents.  It's the same number of loads, but you don't need as much because there's no filler.  So, basically, I don't have to lug those giant boxes around.  It's good for the environment, which of course is a must for me  It doesn't have perfumes, which I'm allergic to.  It goes on sale for $5 a box once in a while and I stock up.  My husband bought a jug of the liquid arm & hammer, though, and that's what we're using right now.  It's okay.  

I own a washer and dryer which my parents bought me when I moved into my house three years ago.  At my last house I had a washer and dryer that were older than the hills and when they broke, I got free ones off freecycle, which were also older than the hills.  I was happy with those, but my mother was mortified that my plan when I moved was simply to wait for some free ones to show up, so she bought me new ones.  Really expensive ones, too.  I have to say, I would never in a million years spend that much on a washing machine and dryer, but she had these delivered to my house and they are pretty great.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had the money I would hire maid service.

They wouldn't have much to do cause we have a small apartment.

dejolane

leonamccauley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do about 4-6 loads of laundry per week as well. While the majority is usually done at home in my top loading machine, I will visit a Laundromat for their laundry services if I'm washing larger bulk items. I feel like these places do have quality machines that are able to do a great job with comforters, coats, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do about 4-6 loads of laundry per week as well. While the majority is usually done at home in my top loading machine, I will visit a Laundromat for their laundry services if I'm washing larger bulk items. I feel like these places do have quality machines that are able to do a great job with comforters, coats, etc.
If you will check the date, the QOTD you are answering is from Feburary 22. There is a new one every day. While there is nothing wrong with posting to an old QOTD, it will not get many readers, and probably no responders, except one like this.

We welcome you to TCS, and I see you have posted in several other threads. Why don't you start a new thread in New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cats. Put some pictures of them in there, too.